NA Cams on 7MGTE?

boostedmklll

Apr 14, 2011
Omaha, Nebraska
I know that the NA cams from the 7MGE motor work in the Turbo 7MGTE. Are there any drawbacks or concers with running these and does anyone know the gains and the Gap required for intake and exhaust pucks? thanks for the help

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
You can run them no problem...I have GE cams in my GTE head..if I remember correctly there was a graph floating around that showed the GE cams provide some minor gains as opposed to GTE cams during low rpms.

iruyle

Jul 17, 2012
lawrenceville, ga
supraguy@aol;1933574 said:
Suddenly, I think I know what it must feel like to be J.J.

LOL!
Well, you've already nailed the spirit of his typical first post, though you might beef up on your exasperated sarcasm. It still feels a little forced. ;)

suprasick

Hey look...a Supra!
Mar 17, 2006
Milton, Washington
Alright I'll bite...

It looks like you have been here for two years now, you should know how to search. I'll take it that maybe you don't know how... it's OK we still love you.

Here is the best way to search in my opinion:

1.Go to google
2.Type in the search bar site:supramania.com (whatever you are searching for) example: site:supramania.com ge cams
3.Enjoy not having to post threads that have been beaten more than Rihanna....too soon?

Hope it helps

boostedmklll

Apr 14, 2011
Omaha, Nebraska
Oh my fault. Sorry i must have named the thread "need help from a dick head" oh wait I didn't. But maybe reading is not your strong point. It's ok a GED is better than nothing I guess. Thanks for your help.

Too soon?

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk 2

suprasick

Hey look...a Supra!
Mar 17, 2006
Milton, Washington
boostedmklll;1933588 said:
Oh my fault. Sorry i must have named the thread "need help from a dick head" oh wait I didn't. But maybe reading is not your strong point. It's ok a GED is better than nothing I guess. Thanks for your help.

Too soon?

Whoa what's with the hostility?

95% of members of this site, I can guarantee, feel the same way I do hence what supraguy said.

A mere 30 seconds of due diligence, you could have found your answer with a search. When you post a thread like this it makes the next guy, who is competent enough to search, to weed through all of the BS threads like these.

I literally spoon fed you information. That not only could help you with your question, but helps you navigate easier through the whole web and the thanks I get is name calling and you questioning my education level? Real smart

You obviously feel that your ego has been threatened, that was not my intent. But the next time you ask for help, and someone gives you the help you need, Don't bite the hand that feeds you..... You'll Starve

boostedmklll

Apr 14, 2011
Omaha, Nebraska
It's not so much the help that was the problem it was the way you went about it. Im sorry I forgot to search. Just be a little more polite next time.

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk 2

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Don't sweat it man...the point they are making is valid enough, but the real issue here is when you become extremely good at something you get confident; confidence sometimes turns to cockiness and you tend to forget that you were novice...even if it is reflected on a car forum on the internet.

Gotta remember some of these guys have been on this forum and alike forums for years. Seen people come and go and seen about every possible question asked over and over and over and over again multiple times after that. You could imagine why when they see one like this (no further explaination of "like this" needed) their patience run thin.

I'm being a little hypocritical because I know I've said the same things, and I'm nobody, but sometimes your in the mood to be that guy. Good talk man, good talk...

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Way back in the 90s on the supras.com email list, there were a number of recurring threads. Back then, it was possible to search, but more difficult.

What's this "birdcage" light on the dashboard mean?

I overheated my engine, and now it's puking coolant from the overflow

How can I boost more than 10/11/12 PSI? (As I recall, the HKS FCD was a pretty popular answer for a while, until Reg Reimer invented the Lex/550 hack.)

But in the many years while that mail list was active, I learned an awful lot about the 7M-GTE, well before I owned one. This question about the GE cams was a semi-regular event there as well, as well as the use of the GE intake manifold with the longer runners.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Search nazis don't live here :)

FYI: there is ZERO gain in running the NA intake cam (exhaust cams are the same). It moves the power band down, which is bad since that's before the turbo spools...

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
suprasick;1933584 said:
Alright I'll bite...

It looks like you have been here for two years now, you should know how to search. I'll take it that maybe you don't know how... it's OK we still love you.

Here is the best way to search in my opinion:

1.Go to google
2.Type in the search bar site:supramania.com (whatever you are searching for) example: site:supramania.com ge cams
3.Enjoy not having to post threads that have been beaten more than Rihanna....too soon?

Hope it helps

You've been here for seven years, you should know that these types of posts typically have no place here. If it's so easy to find using a search, do the search for him and post the most relevant information for him to use. That being said, you did at least explain one of the ways you can search the site outside of the built in search function, so good work there.

As for the topic at hand, there are essentially 3 cam setups from the factory.

86-87 N/A
88-92 N/A
87-92 Turbo

86-87 N/A used different intake and exhaust cams from all other setups.
88-92 N/A and 87-92 Turbos used the same exhaust cam, but different intake cams.

I am not aware of many people trying the 86-87 N/A setup in a Turbo engine and posting detailed results, but quite a few people have swapped intake cams and reported that they move the overall torque curve slightly lower in the RPM range. This can provide a bit more "oomph" in the low RPM ranges, (along with the accompanied earlier boost), however you will lose in the top end when you could use it most with the turbo fully spooled.

Still, the difference isn't huge, what you want is up to you. There are a few dyno graphs that show a bigger gain to be had with the N/A cams, but I think others have done more to show that it mostly moves the powerband down about 500rpm.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?17181-Na-cam-dyno&highlight=cam dyno

Jeff