n/a to turbo swap trouble.

89nasupra

Sugar, Water, Purple
Apr 8, 2008
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
first, car is a 89. donor car was a 88 "engine and hard parts only" harness, igniter is from a 90 turbo auto and the ECU is from a 91 turbo auto. have the coils and CPS from the 88 in the car. i have done reserch, im'ed a few people from here and read numorous other threads before posting my own here.

now, "i'll have pics of what i'm asking about tomorrow evening" i have some wires that are not connected to anything coming out of the engine harness "a brown wire, a light green and red striped with red bands wire, and a solid blue wire" all near the ECU plugs. i had to cut the "new" harness and attach the body harness plugs off my original harness to get them to connect.

now under the hood, there is a plug near the igniter coming from the fuse/relay box that has a white and black striped wire that did not connect to anything after i switched the plug with one from my original harness. there was a blue and white striped wire on the "new" harness that i can't find where it goes.

now for what the car is doing. we got it to start every time now when we turn it over but it will run for 3 to 5 seconds then kill. i don't know where to look any more. i have looked over the TSRM several times and have had help from several guys from SM i just never posted a thread because i wanted to make sure i have exhausted all my resources.

so if you have any other questions please ask i'm sure i left something out.

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
oh cool another Louisiana guy... YAY !. I'm not that technical, but do you have good fuel pressure at the FPR ? It might be clogged or faulty. I'd say check it just so you can rule it out.

89nasupra

Sugar, Water, Purple
Apr 8, 2008
i'm not sure on fuel pressure. i well get a gauge next week to check that.

had codes but we fixed all of them... i believe. last tested it before shutting it down for the night. all it did was blink fast. i'll recheck it tomorrow. i determaned the connections by matching colors ond markings on the wires. but as stated above i have a few that i can't find where htey go.

89nasupra

Sugar, Water, Purple
Apr 8, 2008
ok we have changed the fuel pump and filter and car still stalls after about a minute of running. it has code 51 and 52 which i will look onto tomorrow. as far as i can tell we have everything connected to where it needs to go. i don't know what to look for with it any more. let me know if any of you can help.

thanks

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
51 Switch Signal

Diagnosis
* No "IDL" signal, "NSW" signal or "A/C" signal to ECU, during diagnosis check.

Trouble Area
* A/C switch circuit
* A/C switch
* A/C amplifier
* Throttle position sensor circuit
* Throttle position sensor
* ECU

52 Knock Sensor Signal

Diagnosis
* Open or short circuit in knock sensor signal.

Trouble Area
* Knock sensor circuit
* Knock sensor
* ECU

EwGoetsch

EdWORD
Jul 12, 2009
Minneapolis Minnesota
Did u dinker around at all with ur TPS? i had the same problem with my rebuild. would holds its rpms but would choke off after only 2000 rpms, Took it to my buddes shop and threw out the TPS code, i ended putting it on wrong when i cleaned and rebuilt my TB, and the 2 "prongs" were bent.

89nasupra

Sugar, Water, Purple
Apr 8, 2008
ok we figured out why it's not running but not the cause of the problem.
we jumped 12 volts straight to the fuel pump andshe runs. no problems, well the CEL is on but i will check that later. we got it to run by jumping the fuel pump so i called it a night. i'm doing some digging now on what could cause it to do this.

89nasupra

Sugar, Water, Purple
Apr 8, 2008
ok new problem.

car runs and idles fine was driving it some too. now it started idleing high like a vacuum leak. i found that if i pinch of the bypass valve it slows down to under 1000 rpms. but when i try to drive it it bogs out. now it free revs fine in park. i will check fuel pressure again. i changed the fuel pump and filter a few weeks ago less than 50 miles on it. i ran 12 volts with a relay direct from the battery so it has power and i hear it come on. any ideas guys? i have code 52 i think. i haven't check them in a while. i will do it this weekend.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
If you did actually search, you would also know that NA to T swap questions belong in the 7M-GT section. Suggest you read the sticky at the top.

Please post in the correct section...thread moved.

89nasupra

Sugar, Water, Purple
Apr 8, 2008
jdub,

i did search came up with nothing, i printed out the na-t swap and followed it while doing my swap. i have a few hundred of pages printed out that i was using to try to get this done. i don't ask questions unless i'm at a complete loss.

sorry but figured since it is a gte now that this was the right section.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The problem here is you are using a harness from a different...you need an '89 harness. The '89 is a mongrel...it's harness is different than other years, but will plug into any '89+ ECU. The reason I mentioned the FAQ? It covers this subject.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
If you still have a code 51, the ECU will not go into Idle Speed mode...hence the high idle RPM. When you say "bypass valve" what exactly are you talking about? The ISCV on the intake manifold?

FYI - by bypassing the stock FP relay and ECU controlled system, you defeated a very important safety feature. the way you have it, the FP will run whenever the ignition is in the "on" position...very bad in case of an accident that causes a fuel line rupture.

89nasupra

Sugar, Water, Purple
Apr 8, 2008
like i said i am not sure which code is left. it has a GE block and i need to do the single knock sensor conversion to it. i was having problems with the FP relay/resistor pack so i jumped them to get it running.

i don't know what it's technically called, the air valve between the 3000 pipe and inlet on the turbo side

89nasupra

Sugar, Water, Purple
Apr 8, 2008
Finally got off my lazy ass today to find out why my car would idle at 2000 RPM and if i turn it off it would idle at 1000 RPM. Not sure if that is the correct or not because i got it to idle real low by unplugginh and pluging in the IACV motor and leaving it unplugged once it idled low enough. The TPS meassures out at 6.38 Kilo ohms no matter how i turn the TPS to try to adjust it. New one form Auto Zone is 75 bucks. Would it be best just to get a Toyota TPS so I know its right?