N/A supras

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
theWeezL;1068208 said:
If someone wanted to do some custom ITB's or maybe even some big carbs Im sure 300-400 hp would be quite doable, but not cheap.
Already in the works. Check the CS site they already have a few built and working and there is a member that made his own in Denmark I believe, both are threads in the NA section.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
AJ'S 88NA;1068384 said:
Already in the works. Check the CS site they already have a few built and working and there is a member that made his own in Denmark I believe, both are threads in the NA section.

I know Ive seen both and they are sick! :love:

Neither of them are pushing over 300 though. I think thats a doable level.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
215rwhp 5MGE with triple webers
215rwhp 6MGE with ITBs

Means both of them have 263hp at the crank. For the 5M, that's over a 100hp gain at the crank, without a friggin turbo!

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
yeah, and they sound insane! The 1UZ with ITB's in a mk2 is also pretty damn cool and made me realize that there are other options for me rather than the typical 7M or JZ swap. In the end though I will probably go turbo for budget reasons.

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
Tanya;1068476 said:
215rwhp 5MGE with triple webers
215rwhp 6MGE with ITBs

Means both of them have 263hp at the crank. For the 5M, that's over a 100hp gain at the crank, without a friggin turbo!

But without a turbo I bet the torque is 100 lbs/ft lower than with a turbo.

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
If you've got a NA and an itchy wallet, put the majority money into the ground work (brakes, suspension, wheels & tires) and then get the rest in a savings account for a boosted setup.

The Work to $$$ to Gain ratio just doesn't make it worth it.

Yes you'll be 'different' for chasing a 'high power' NA, but you'd be 'different' in the same way as sticking your nuts in a blender and hitting the 'on' swtich...

oowee623

SCS
Aug 13, 2007
Long Beach, CA
p1069198_1.jpg

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Down but not out;1069182 said:
But without a turbo I bet the torque is 100 lbs/ft lower than with a turbo.

5MGE 215rwhp 225rwtq
6MGE 215rwhp 196rwtq

Aww, don't those look like such horrible #s? :sarcasm:

Last edited:

AGlobalThreat

Acceleration
Apr 4, 2005
Santa Clarita
DonS1mpson;1069191 said:
If you've got a NA and an itchy wallet, put the majority money into the ground work (brakes, suspension, wheels & tires) and then get the rest in a savings account for a boosted setup.

The Work to $$$ to Gain ratio just doesn't make it worth it.

Yes you'll be 'different' for chasing a 'high power' NA, but you'd be 'different' in the same way as sticking your nuts in a blender and hitting the 'on' swtich...

Quoted for truth, putting my nuts in a blender is not for me! If you go past basic engine mods with NA you'll have a lot of extra parts laying around that you can't use when you finally go turbo because the NA isn't putting out enough power to satisfy you anymore.

My NA was pretty fast, although I didn't do any head work or tuning. It was fast because it was lightweight and aerodynamic with a lot less rotating mass and good ol' NA 4.3 gearing.
http://deprived.krypt.com/60-100.avi

DL.

Fast
Sep 12, 2005
SE Wisconsin
gofastgeorge;1068028 said:
Yup, you got that right,
But then, so is building a turbo car CORRECTLY !

I am not sure that the 7M could be taken to 400.
The rod length/stroke ratio limits the max rpm to about 8500-9000.

Check out this NA 7M on Sport Compact Car's web site:
http://rides.sportcompactcarweb.com/ride/1007534/texas-cressida/1989/toyota/cressida/index.html

Anybody notice in his list of mods he has his oil pump drive sped up by 15%.
I would like to know if anyone knows the owner of this car or has any info on doing that. I was contemplating having one made, but it's not cheap.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
I can appreciate your wanting to build a high hp n/a engine, but it's never really been successfully done (to my knowledge) and here's why:

A 7m will never be capable of high rev's for any length of time with any reliability or driveability, so that's out.

A 7m is not a very good candidate for stroking because of the block's lack of mass relative to it's displacement, and less than beefy crank journals and mains.

You can forget boring it out to any great degree for the same reasons (just not enough metal to work with). So poking and stroking (in all practicality) is out.

Not to say that you couldn't do it, you could...and it's been done. What you end up with will be mediocre performance at a high price. It'll be unreliable, hard to drive, temperamental, and need higher octane gas than you can easily get.

And...after all that money and work, the first guy you run across with a stock turbo and bpu's will hand you your ass.

Life's hard enough, why set yourself up for failure?

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
^^ disagree with a lot of that statement.

As long as you keep the compression down to 10.5-1, you can run pump gas.

As far as unreliable and tempermental, don't understand that at all. Not any more than a turbo, maybe less. A lot less plumming to worry about :)

Oct 12, 2006
Chicago, IL
And as for the boring out the engine, I'm pretty sure I was reading Defiant7M's build thread and he said he bored his out to 3.5L. Check out his build thread, he is doing some serious engine work it looks like.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
AJ'S 88NA;1070083 said:
As far as unreliable and tempermental, don't understand that at all. Not any more than a turbo, maybe less. A lot less plumming to worry about :)

I thought I explained it pretty well. Read it again.

If you have ever driven a bored and stroked motor with a big cam and high compression you would know...they're temperamental and generally ill-mannered for daily use.

You'll wish plumbing were all you had to worry about.

I'm not trying to be contrary but I grew up in the hot rod era of V8's, big cams, and high compression, and I know first hand what the reliability and driveability issues are.

Quick Red Head;1070102 said:
And as for the boring out the engine, I'm pretty sure I was reading Defiant7M's build thread and he said he bored his out to 3.5L. Check out his build thread, he is doing some serious engine work it looks like.

I've read Defiant7M's thread.

As I recall that car has never run or been dyno'd.

Like I said...you can do it, but you're asking for trouble. Overheating mostly, due to how little room there is between the bores.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
I didn't think it was possible to BORE out a 7M to 3.5 liters. Bore and stroke maybe.

... hmm, well after doing the math, boring it .060" over brings it to 3.33", with a 101mm stroke, that's 3.97" almost making it a 3.4 liter, but that's REALLY stretching it.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
I also grew up in the hot rod era, and yes I've driven owned a stroked bored out one. And I do agree they can be tempermental.

I have a 7m bored out 60 over, 97.5 stroke and never overheat. Larger cams but not huge. I agree that you have to watch which blocks you try to bore out as some will not take 60 over.

As far as reliability and driveablity no problems here at all.

You have to have some sort of piggyback to tune, which I have.

I'm not aruging either just trying to say what I have experienced and I know there are a few others that have been running strokers on this forum for 2 years and not had any problems.

I think you are right Tanya just boring will not give it to you. Mine with the overbore and stroke comes out to around 3.28something can't remember off hand:)