N/A-Naturally Awesome

kwatso23

Jul 11, 2010
Mid north coast
Got an update guys.
Motor is in and running...sortof anyway.
We've had a fair bit of trouble getting it to idle but thanks to the sticky on idle problems with BC cams we've now got it somewhere close.
Just a case of running it in now then dyno.
I'm going to put up some pics soon for anyone who is interested.
Cheers

kwatso23

Jul 11, 2010
Mid north coast
I thought about it but I think it will be too much hassle without much gain.
It would involve relocating the alternator and battery and I'm really not that fussy aye.
If I was going turbo I'd definately look into it tho.
I am however toying with the idea of trying to make a twin throttlebody set up.
I know you can use the mustang cobra twin set-up but everything is the opposite way round and from what i've read it's a pain in the ass.
I'm currently considering using twin 4AGE throttlebodies if they will fit.
If anyone has any suggestions bout twin tb's or a bigger single let me know.
Cheers

dslocal

Nov 9, 2008
slo
You should set up some individual throttle bodies, I always wanted to see what that would sound like.

kwatso23

Jul 11, 2010
Mid north coast
I know it sound appealing but they're way too expensive. For that kinda money i could've dropped in a quad cam 4L.
I've seen one done tho. When i was reseaching my engine build i found a guy over in Sweden i think. He'd used BMW tb's with the bottom half of the supra IM.
It was a 6M block, 5M pistons and a 7M head and made bout 260 at the wheels before he threw a rod at 8k lol. Sounded Soooo tuff tho

kwatso23

Jul 11, 2010
Mid north coast
Hi guys got some pics of the motor before it went in as well as my new clutch and some of the port work I did on the intake. There was a lot of alloy come out of that Y piece in the intake.

Image032.jpgImage104.jpgImage001.jpgImage002.jpgImage103.jpg

kwatso23

Jul 11, 2010
Mid north coast
Hi guys i know it's been a while but I've got an update.
I've been driving the car around for a few weeks and I've put about 3000k's on it. Almost dyno time!!!
Unfortunately the car has suffered a common but chronic oil leak problem around the back of the cam covers.
I originally thought cleaning out the threads and locktight might fix the problem but no dice.
So I used the same principle with the covers as you do with head gasket problems...I went with studs and shake-proof nuts.
Image066.jpgImage044.jpgImage087.jpgImage047.jpg
I pulled off the covers one by one and metho'd out each of the threads and the top of the head where the gasket makes contact. I then proceeded to threadlock each stud in place using vernier calipers to make sure they all sat at the same height.
I also metho'd the rubber gasket in the cam cover and applied some copper Maxx high-temp liquid gasket to the seal and then set the covers on.
Washers and nylock nuts followed and were done up firmly.
So far I've done about 150k's without a single leak so fingers crossed.
I included a pic above of the the package the studs came in. They are 40mm grub screws with an allenkey recess in the top to do them up. I used stainless nylocks and stainless washers. Hopefully this is the end of oil leaks for my Supy

kwatso23

Jul 11, 2010
Mid north coast
Nice!!!
Your 7M sounds nice and throaty and picks up nicely off low end revs.
Probly a silly question but do you have a build thread for your motor?
I looked at a couple when I was building mine but I'd love to read yours considering it made 215 at the wheels.
Also while I think of it what are those twins off?
Cheers

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
kwatso23;1757893 said:
Nice!!!
Your 7M sounds nice and throaty and picks up nicely off low end revs.
Probly a silly question but do you have a build thread for your motor?
I looked at a couple when I was building mine but I'd love to read yours considering it made 215 at the wheels.
Also while I think of it what are those twins off?
Cheers

Thanks, no build thread, done before I knew of this forum. I think I have all the mods listed in my profile.

Wrapped the headers since that thread and built a cold air box that is almost finished, like to dyno again soon.

The TB's are off late model Camery's.

kwatso23

Jul 11, 2010
Mid north coast
OK thanks, I'll go to the wreckers tomorrow and see what sort of cars they have there.
Hopefully some camry's so I can check out the linkage system.
I'll keep watching the twins thread for any updates and pics.
Cheers

kwatso23

Jul 11, 2010
Mid north coast
Hey guys I've finally got an update on the new motor.
Just got back from the dyno and I'm pretty happy so far.
Running 11 deg advance on ignition and Intake cam is at 7 deg adv and 3 deg adv on exhaust it made 166.7 and 785 pound/tractive effort. But running WAY rich under load.
The guys at the shop stayed back for me so we didn't tune it at all but I'll play with the cams next time.
Also I really need to buy a computer coz the afm is very restrictive. Standard ecu can't control fuel delivery for this motor.

craigh310

Supramania Contributor
Mar 25, 2008
Gardena, California
103_0636[1].jpg_-18[1].jpg

Nice build. I have a 7M N/A too. I just kept the build clean, with unique parts I made up. Turbo is the only way to go for power, but it's all about driving a Supra. Basicly a stock rebuild, pocket ported head, 2.5" cat back exhaust. On the dyno in Las Vegas, 96 deg. F, I made a mere, 153 HP, US.

Keep up the good work.

Mikael_7m

Built 7M
Apr 26, 2009
Australia
craigh310;1769455 said:
View attachment 53090View attachment 53091

Nice build. I have a 7M N/A too. I just kept the build clean, with unique parts I made up. Turbo is the only way to go for power, but it's all about driving a Supra. Basicly a stock rebuild, pocket ported head, 2.5" cat back exhaust. On the dyno in Las Vegas, 96 deg. F, I made a mere, 153 HP, US.

Keep up the good work.

No way dude! that dyno must have been reading real low! my mate ran 160whp with a stock motor and exhaust.

edit: 2.5" exhaust - my bad

Last edited: