N/A-Naturally Awesome

kwatso23

Jul 11, 2010
Mid north coast
Hi everyone this is my first post so please don't crucify me 2 badly.
I'm building up an N/A 7M for my mk3 supra and thought I'd share the experience with anyone who wants to have a squiz.
I've owned the car for two years now and it's mainly just had a tidy up but when it started burning oil faster than fuel I had to do something more serious.
My inspiration came mainly from a member of this forum Tire Shredder who built a kick-ass N/A motor for his mk2.
(My computer is playing up 2 so I could only attach images unfortunately.)

The list of mods are:
Crower 264 cams
Crower valve springs and retainers
ARP head studs
Cometic head gasket
Crank scrapers
Decked head and block (should bring comp up 2 bout 10.2ish)
Head and intake match ported
Vernier adjustable cam gears.

For all you turbo lovers out there I know this wont be your cup of tea but I wanted to do something a bit different and couldn't afford to go v8.

If there's anything else you wanna know let me know.
Cheers

Attachments

• Image038.jpg
    Image038.jpg
    419 KB · Views: 121
  • Image077.jpg
    Image077.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 102
  • Image076.jpg
    Image076.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 110
  • Image085.jpg
    Image085.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 95
  • Image078.jpg
    Image078.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 90

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
not being offensive or mean in anyway but you might as well have invested the money to go into a v8 cause uh, this is going to be WAY more expensive :p

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
Oh I agree also, for the money you will be spending to make HP it wouldve been cheaper to go v8 but still, good luck and looking good so far!

kwatso23

Jul 11, 2010
Mid north coast
Nar probably not itb's unfortunately. if i was gonna spend that sort of money i would go turbo or v8.
Not that i wouldn't like to do it :p

---------- Post added at 02:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 AM ----------

Yea that is sorta true. this build grew a bit and for the money i'm spending i could of put in a 4L lexus but it would have been auto and i'm a manual fan.
Oh well i'm looking 4ward to seeing what it can do coz the current donk only made 109hp

---------- Post added at 02:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 AM ----------

Thanks for the encouragement.
I'll put up some pics of the car soon.

kwatso23

Jul 11, 2010
Mid north coast
Here are some images of my car.

Also if anyone has any suggestions for my build please feel free to comment.
Keeping in mind that this is only a street car with mild track application.

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    205.5 KB · Views: 102
  • Image055.jpg
    Image055.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 122
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    219.4 KB · Views: 112
  • Image061.jpg
    Image061.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 128
  • 04042009.jpg
    04042009.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 105

kwatso23

Jul 11, 2010
Mid north coast
While I think of it guys. Does anyone know of any simple bolt-on throttle body upgrades.
I ask this because i don't think the standard one will be sufficient for the new motor.
Cheers

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
I think the only "bolt on" TB would be from a Turbo-A car, but I can't see it doing much unless the rest of the intake manifold is "upgraded" too. You could do port matching to your gaskets, that will help get some more air through it.

By the way, the 5 spoke wheels make the car look much better.

Did you consider doing any more bottom end work before assembly?

kwatso23

Jul 11, 2010
Mid north coast
Thanks it's nice to know someone else likes the wheels because everyone else says the other ones look better.
I didn't bother with any extra bottom end work because it was already 1mm overbore, decked block with good pistons. So all I had to do was re-ring it. They're a pretty substantial bottom end anyway so I dont think I can break it.

kwatso23

Jul 11, 2010
Mid north coast
I thought about the 2j but a 7m came up at the right price.
I'm only waiting on a Gates timing belt and tensioner from the US and then the motor can go together.
Then its just running it in and dyno tuning.

kwatso23

Jul 11, 2010
Mid north coast
Hi again guys I've finally got an update on the motor progress.
Motor is together and cylinder cc says it will be running bout 10.5:1.
Everything is painted and ready to go together.
I'll post some pics soon for anyone who is interested in having a squiz.
Looking forward to hearing your comments.
cheers

kwatso23

Jul 11, 2010
Mid north coast
Mate unfortunately didn't have the money for a turbo donk. Everything is a bit more expensive in Australia than in the states and I simply couldn't afford it on a uni budget.
Besides if I had that sort of money I woulda gone a V8 without hesitation, better sound, constant torque and better on juice than a wild turbo donk. Thanks for your feedback tho
and if anyone else has any feedback feel free to comment. The sump is goin on as I speak so it's almost in.
Cheers

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
My comment is I see nothing about compression in the original post, but you have the comment down lower. If you want more performance, do bowl work and raise compression.

kwatso23

Jul 11, 2010
Mid north coast
I've done both mate. The heads on 7M's are pretty good standard so I just blended the ports and tidied them up. I chose the worst port and made it the best I could and then tried to replicate it in each other port. And as far as compression goes its way up on standard. It'll be running 10.5:1 which is pretty good.
Unfortunately time has become an issue for me with work and uni so I'm nowhere near getting the motor in yet.
Hopefully it doesn't take too long.