my VW won't start!

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
alright, i know this isn't a VW forum, but i need some help fast; and i know you guys are brilliant so i come pleaddddddding for some insight

[[2001 2.0 jetta]]

recently, i changed out my plugs, and did an oil change

i'm driving in traffic hour, so the car is in pretty slow stop and go traffic. i suddenly notice that the car is starting to bog down and feel as if it's dying out, at that moment i decide that i NEED to get off the freeway so i don't get stranded and clog up the highway

i immediately exit onto the tollway, i get the car going and i can feel a HUGE loss in power as i'm trying to get back up to the highway speed, i'm giving it gas and the car is revving high, but is just barely gaining speed ((this reminds me, when the problem first occurred, i gave the car gas and it just didn't do anything for a moment, and my heart almost dropped))

so i'm on the tollway now, going about 60mph and the car is working it's ass off to sustain the speed, i see the tollbooth and i know i'm in trouble; i come to a stop, hand the lady the $1.50, and the car dies. while it's dying though, i'm pretty damn sure i heard some knocking coming from the engine, i don't think it was a bad oil kind of knock, but more of a timing issue knock..

so i'm stuck, i try to start the car and it turns over, gets to about 2-300rpm but won't get on

i got the car towed home, but the problem is still there, i can turn the key and the engine will turn over, but it won't get on. i tried to give it some gas while starting it and got a few backfires, but still no idle

do you guys have ANYYYYY ideas what my problem could be? my theory at this point is maybeeeeeeeeeeee my plug wires are bad from trying to remove them (i had ALOT of trouble getting one of them off, so i might've ruined one of them, and the car is trying to run on 3 cylinders now) butt that theory is kind of voided because for 2 days the car was running perfect

my other theory is that when i was driving the car MAYBE somehow jumped a tooth or two and threw the timing out of whack...but i don't think something like this would just randomly happen, especially on a smooth freeway

PLEASE, HELP!!!!

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
check plug wires.....
check fuel pressure...easyest way is pull the big c clip of presure reg on fuel rail turn over...
pull upper timing cover...check marks. there is a mark strait up and down almost on the lower cover.. very hard to see but there is a arrow there... line mark up to that and cam gear has mark on top... cant miss them.. check tension of belt...