My swap.

Island_Yota

Aug 5, 2008
Vancouver Island
I picked up a complete running 7MGTE with all of the accessories, ECU, Wiring in tact, mint 3.91 LSD diff and a few other things to swap into my N/A. Plan is to do a partial rebuild, OEM headgasket and ARP's, replace all the gaskets and seals etc.. As far as mods go so far, 3" downpipe, 3" test pipe, 2.5" Cat-back, Remove the A/C system and a few other little things, but for the most part I want to run close to stock boost for now.

Already have some questions,

Im running the W58, Do I use the W58 trans supports off my 7MGE? Need to figure out a full disk clutch to run, could I get away with an Exedy or LUK, OEM? Clutchmasters and ACT are out of my price range, its not going to be driven hard, no track use, no hard launches, not even planning on much boost, R154 is not an option.

I want to remove the EGR, is there a write up on doing it properly?

Will the 7 blade N/A cooling fan be good enough? or should I find a 10 blade.. reason I ask is its not an easy part to find locally.

Any difference between the n/a and turbo throttle cable setup?

made a thread because il probably have alot of questions.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
Island_Yota;1388829 said:
I picked up a complete running 7MGTE with all of the accessories, ECU, Wiring in tact, mint 3.91 LSD diff and a few other things to swap into my N/A. Plan is to do a partial rebuild, OEM headgasket and ARP's, replace all the gaskets and seals etc.. As far as mods go so far, 3" downpipe, 3" test pipe, 2.5" Cat-back, Remove the A/C system and a few other little things, but for the most part I want to run close to stock boost for now.

Already have some questions,

Im running the W58, Do I use the W58 trans supports off my 7MGE? Need to figure out a full disk clutch to run, could I get away with an Exedy or LUK, OEM? Clutchmasters and ACT are out of my price range, its not going to be driven hard, no track use, no hard launches, not even planning on much boost, R154 is not an option.

I want to remove the EGR, is there a write up on doing it properly?

Will the 7 blade N/A cooling fan be good enough? or should I find a 10 blade.. reason I ask is its not an easy part to find locally.

Any difference between the n/a and turbo throttle cable setup?

made a thread because il probably have alot of questions.

1. Check the EPC. If the part #'s different, you will need to get the right ones. http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/default.aspx

2. Don't remove the EGR, it's there for a reason.

3. No, the 7 blade will not be enough, you need the ten blade.

4. Yes the throttle cable setup is different.

RedGT

Aug 18, 2006
Baltimore, MD
I used the trans supports off my 7mge when I did my swap. they are exactly the same. I went from 7mge/auto to 7mgte/w58. with 7mge/auto trans supports.
I used the 7mge fan blade, engine runs perfectly cool.
You should keep the EGR.
The 7mge throttle cable is longer and the gte is shorter. It will need to be changed.
I used a 7mge Spec stage 3 clutch. it shudders a bit on engagement but has a nice feel.
You might as well get a 3 in catback since your replacing it anyway.

Failure14

Banned
May 29, 2009
Ohio
The only reason to remove the egr would be to
make the engine bay look cleaner, and make the
inside of your intake and what not cleaner....

It makes no difference of a hp gain,
All you will hear from people is you "shouldn't"
Theres no really needed write up or what not,
just buy the block off plate kit from driftmotion for
$28 i believe, its just 2 plates that block off the ports.
Which you could make yourself i suppose but you would
also need to have a little gasket so it doesnt leak, this
option is completely up to you, it does harm our enviroment
but i look at it as its just like being one more drag car.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
RedGT;1390432 said:
I used the trans supports off my 7mge when I did my swap. they are exactly the same. I went from 7mge/auto to 7mgte/w58. with 7mge/auto trans supports.
I used the 7mge fan blade, engine runs perfectly cool.
You should keep the EGR.
The 7mge throttle cable is longer and the gte is shorter. It will need to be changed.
I used a 7mge Spec stage 3 clutch. it shudders a bit on engagement but has a nice feel.
You might as well get a 3 in catback since your replacing it anyway.

The 7 blade might work for you, but it's definitely better to go 10 blade, as GTE's make significantly more heat.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Failure14;1390464 said:
The only reason to remove the egr would be to
make the engine bay look cleaner, and make the
inside of your intake and what not cleaner....

It makes no difference of a hp gain,
All you will hear from people is you "shouldn't"
Theres no really needed write up or what not,
just buy the block off plate kit from driftmotion for
$28 i believe, its just 2 plates that block off the ports.
Which you could make yourself i suppose but you would
also need to have a little gasket so it doesnt leak, this
option is completely up to you, it does harm our enviroment
but i look at it as its just like being one more drag car.

Removing an egr without going with a jdm ecu or standalone is a good way to blow your motor....usdm ecu is tuned for egr, if removed it will cause a lean issue while med load low boost situations...such as driving up hill just entering boost...or that short moment of slight acceleration to pass a car....detionation comes into play here as the motor gets too much air and not enough fuel as the usdm ecu thinks egr gas is still being sucked in which doesn't burn!

Failure14

Banned
May 29, 2009
Ohio
gaboonviper85;1390589 said:
Removing an egr without going with a jdm ecu or standalone is a good way to blow your motor....usdm ecu is tuned for egr, if removed it will cause a lean issue while med load low boost situations...such as driving up hill just entering boost...or that short moment of slight acceleration to pass a car....detionation comes into play here as the motor gets too much air and not enough fuel as the usdm ecu thinks egr gas is still being sucked in which doesn't burn!

Agreed as i thought i saw JDM somewhere in his post.

Island_Yota

Aug 5, 2008
Vancouver Island
Thanks for the info, going to leave the EGR, read up on it some more and its not the greatest idea. I was looking at Spec clutches, they look good but pricey the stage 2+ is what im looking for, im going to keep searching though. Think il stay with the 2.5" catback for now, can't afford a fancy 3" exhaust, I think the Pacesetter will be just fine with close to stock boost.

Im starting the tear down today, probably just get all the accessories off

So far my parts list:

ARP Studs
Headgasket, probably OEM
Top end gaskets and seals(manifolds, cams, covers, turbo, valve stems etc..)
Timing belt/Tensioner
Clutch
Downpipe
Throttle Cable
AFM
Intercooler plumbing

anyone recommend where to buy some of these parts? what brands to go with? just curious.

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
Island_Yota;1391113 said:
Thanks for the info, going to leave the EGR, read up on it some more and its not the greatest idea. I was looking at Spec clutches, they look good but pricey the stage 2+ is what im looking for, im going to keep searching though. Think il stay with the 2.5" catback for now, can't afford a fancy 3" exhaust, I think the Pacesetter will be just fine with close to stock boost.

Im starting the tear down today, probably just get all the accessories off

So far my parts list:

ARP Studs
Headgasket, probably OEM
Top end gaskets and seals(manifolds, cams, covers, turbo, valve stems etc..)
Timing belt/Tensioner
Clutch
Downpipe
Throttle Cable
AFM
Intercooler plumbing

anyone recommend where to buy some of these parts? what brands to go with? just curious.

Clutches for turbo models are always high priced. you think spec is bad, check out the pricing on ACT.

Island_Yota

Aug 5, 2008
Vancouver Island
everythings in good shape so far, stopped at the crank pulley because its not a good idea to mess with it after a few beer, learned that with my 22R.

found some parts, AFM, Throttle cable setup, stock IC plumbing.

is the GE power steering pump the same? obviously the reservoir is different..

does toyota still sell the coolant hoses? actually better question.. does aftermarket make them? want to replace the lower rad hose, and all of the little ones on the head(could make some of them)

anyone ever swap the boost gauge from a turbo cluster to an n/a cluster? im taking both apart to do the tach anyway, id run the turbo cluster but it has white faced indiglows that I don't like, tems lights(my car doesn't have tems) that I dont like and more KM's than my n/a cluster. probably wont bother with the boost gauge though just wondering if its possible.

Island_Yota

Aug 5, 2008
Vancouver Island
Heres my part list so far:

Stone Gasket Set
ARP Head Studs
Toyota Head Gasket
Toyota EGR Cooler Gasket
Toyota Rear main seal
Timing Belt/Tensioner
Spec Stage 2 Clutch kit
Trans input/output seals
Silicone vacuum hose

some other small stuff.. depends on how the cylinders look, might be pulling apart the bottom end too, atleast going to pull the pan and took a look though.