My Project...need advice!

Hotwheelsjr

May 22, 2011
Surprise AZ
Hi all --

I recently came into owning a 7M-GTE with supposed forged internals, 1.3mm head gasket, 550cc injectors, and for sure a T67 w/ a 50mm waste gate on a stainless tube manifold/header. Before I drop it into my NA, I am wanting to do things right. Previous owner felt this was a 400hp build...if it's not, I want it to be. My plans include a 255lph Walbro pump, AEM EMS (please hit on the good/bad of this), a 32x12x4 CxRacing FMIC, etc. I am in the Phoenix area and visiting a garage for a final tune is not out of the question (please suggest local tuners if you know any), but I'd really like to do it and learn on my own without blowing anything up. The car is a daily driver and needs to be able to pass AZ smog testing...but I want it to RUN! What are your suggestions? Am I dreaming? My experience lies in muscle car era Mopars -- I have very little boost experience, so, please excuse my ignorance. Thanks in advance!

-- Mike

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
IMHO - Since it is out of the car, I would pull oil pan and verify what the internals are. 1.3mm HG, I am assuming Metal? You will get a lot of different opinions, but if the block and head were prepared correctly for a MHG 1.3mm would not be thick enough to maintain stock compression, so I could see this coming into play with how much boost you can run on pump gas if the compression has been increased. I am not familiar enough with the AEM EMS to give you a valid opinion, but search on here and you will find some good threads.

I and most here would encourage learning and doing, but the most important is read, read and read... learn from others mistakes, read enough on here and you will figure out who the most knowledgeable are and follow their sound advice. Good Luck!