My passenger floor keep getting soaked.

Alpha WereFox

Supraholic
Aug 20, 2006
Poconos in PA
Alright this is like the biggest problem with my Supra. I'm hoping someone else out there had this problem and know what it is cuz I can't figure it out. I keep getting my passenger floor behind the seat soaking wet to the point that there's like a swimming pool. And most of the time the passenger rear seat cushion is really damp too. But this is the weird part that I can't figure out. Yesterday we had a big rain storm here in PA and after the storm was pretty much over and I checked both the seat and the floor and for some reason it wasn't wet. But once I started driving down the road I heard this waterfall effect and the next thing I know my floor now has a swimming pool now. So somewhere my Supra is storing all this water and when I move down the road it's migrating to the passenger side of my floor in the rear. The driver side is never wet, neither the driver side rear seat. Where could this water be entering from and where is it storing it all until I move? The rear hatch seal on my car looks almost perfect so I don't understand how water is getting thru. My guess is one of the side windows or something went bad. Anyways, if anyone has a really good guess at what's going on let me know. I apperciate all the help.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Is you glass installed correctly, and is it rolling all the way up? Has it been replaced? There is a slight difference between targa and non-targa glass. It could have been replaced with the wrong part.

Another suspect area could be behind the black B-Pillar molding just behind the glass on the body. However, if it leaked there, I would think that the water would leak down and enter under the carpet, thus not giving it a chance to get on the seat.

I keep thinking as I type.........How are the hinges on that door? If it is sagging just a little, it could also be causing a small gap at the top corner.

martin p

1JZ-GTE powered Supra.
Feb 5, 2006
East coast. UK
check in the trunk, water could be leaking in round the lights filling the inner rear panels and running forward when u drive etc, had it happen on mine removed bung under bumper and drained off about 1 gallon or 2 of water! re sealed lights and stopped it, but as yours is a targa it more likey to be seals leaking

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Your car has heating/cooling ducts that exit under the front seats. The water may be coming from there. How it's getting into the duct would be the mystery. I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) a plugged AC drain hose in the evaporator box or some form of rain water leakage into the climate control system plumbing could cause it. That wouldn't dampen the cushion though...

mk4s4bkfst

Banned
Jul 14, 2007
the woodlands, tx
does your car have a moon/sunroof? i had the exact same problem in the past, it was simply water getting in through the seal around the sunroof collecting in the area provided for the sunroof then "waterfalling" its way to my passenger side when i drove. if this doesnt apply to you and your car is a hard top which you havent stated, then it may just be a magic BHG troll with a bucket of water he collected when it rained waiting for you to start driving........ good luck :wave:

martin p

1JZ-GTE powered Supra.
Feb 5, 2006
East coast. UK
Alpha WereFox;1124066 said:
Didja miss that? lol. NO TARGA! :biglaugh: But yea I think it did start when I converted my tail lights to 89+ tail lights. Maybe that's it?

yes missed at bit, check those seals and the nuts are tight that hold them in.

Alpha WereFox

Supraholic
Aug 20, 2006
Poconos in PA
I just gutted my whole back of my car. Panels, seats and all. There was a pool of water on the DRIVER side of the car where the jack and crow bar go but the other side was dry. Water in the wheel well, which I pulled the drain plug to let it out. There was water under the rear seat cushion on both sides, but only the passenger floor gets wet, it's like reversed. I also learned my power antenna was replaced too oddly. I also had to rip out the fabric stuff thats under the seat too cuz that was totally soaked. I'm gonna keep it gutted till I find the problem and my car stays dry after a few rain storms. I'll keep ya'll posted.