My other Toyota- '86 MR2

87mk111

Metal Head
Sep 29, 2009
akron/canton, ohio
nice progress in the past few days. gotta love pull a part. i need to go back to mine in the srping to pull the rear discs of a 95 civic to put on my 90, but its to cold to try and do it now.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Well, Today was D-Day, trying to get the car started.
I installed both axles, hooked up the speedo cable, the last of the vac and coolant lines, And filled it with oil.
All set, ready for attempted start:

p1673985_1.jpg

Well, I took out the EFI fuse, and started to crank it to build oil pressure,
and on the second rotation- WHAM! Sounded like the crank broke or something. Now I can't budge the motor by starter, or by hand. I've had this creeping fear that I might have left a short socket in one of the cylinders when I installed the head, because I couldn't find it anywhere.....

OH SORRY! THAT WAS JUST A NIGHTMARE I HAD THE OTHER NIGHT.
My bad...
:rofl:

LOL. Couldn't resist.
Actually, the motor built up oil pressure after about 20 seconds of cranking,
put the EFI fuse back in, and once the rail built pressure, it fired right up!
I was afraid that I'd have to mess with the distributor alignment, but no, fired up first try. At first, it would die after like 5 seconds of running, or with any throttle input....till I realized I hadn't plugged the AFM in.
:rolleyes:

After bleeding the system, it runs at at just over 1/3 temp, and midpoint oil pressure. It was cool to find the original OEM bleeding tubes tucked away behind the spare tire. Bleeding process went great.

All I have to do now, is connect the shifter cables to the tranny(can't find the lock brackets or the original clips!), and top off the tranny itself, and she's good to go.

Again, Yay me.

:)

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Well, yesterday I finally found the shifter cable retainer clips, and installed them. Also reinstalled the POS exhaust that used to be on it. I left it sitting outside for over a year, with the 2-1 collector pointing up, so guess what- It was full of water. I shoulda taken a pic, but it was a nasty rust brown mudwater that came out. In fact, because of the muffler's internal design, I couldn't get it all out, so I had to drill a hole in the side of it to get the last of it.
However, it does sounds pretty nice now with the exhaust, which means I'll be able to drive it across town to my buddy's house, where we will fab up the new exhaust based on a MkII turbo muffler. I was surprised, but I was able to fit the OEM twin exit MKII muffler, all the new mandrel piping, the new cat and all the flanges into the rear trunk- not bad.

I also finished tinting the tail lights somewhat:
p1674826_1.jpg

p1674826_2.jpg

I just like that the cracks in the passenger side don't stand out so much now.
Later, I'll get a replacement.

After that, I decided to take her for a short test drive, and put some load on the pistons/ rings, to seat them. Yay! Drives pretty nice, although it shakes/ throbs a bit, because all four tires have fix-a-flat lumped into them.
:rolleyes:
Never fear- I ordered the new 15" black rims for my new tires, and they should be here tomorrow(along with appropriate hubcentric rings).

How she sits now:
p1674826_3.jpg

And today, I grabbed a 2-yr old purchase of mine off the shelf- a car alarm.
Started doing all the damn wiring for it, and still have a ways to go. God- I hate alarm systems- 4 relays, the main box, the siren, mounting the shock sensor, the led indicator, the learning button, and hunting down all the damned oem wires to tie into.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Crap Chinese alarm with crap Chinese instructions = buy an American-made alarm. Done.

New wheels on the car:
p1676132_1.jpg

p1676132_2.jpg

New shift boot:
p1676132_3.jpg

Almost time to register it.
:naughty:

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Thanks man.
Yeah, my friends always asked me over the years- "why don't you just get rid of that thing?"
I knew eventually I'd want to get it back on the road. Otherwise it woulda just ended up being another parts car in a junk yard.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Update-
Today, I finally got install the rear motor mount, re-bled the clutch(much better), charged the A/C, insured and tagged the car.
For the first time since Bill Clinton was President, the MR2 is road legal and roadworthy. The only work i still want to do to it, is:
Tint the windows
Get MR2 floormats
Weld and install the new exhaust

Drove the car on the highway for the first time, and it rides pretty smooth. I was also happy to find that the cruise control works correctly,
as does all other electricals on the car. As soon as the exhaust is finished, I will proclain it the official daily driver, and retire the Supra
to the garage for a summer-long restoration, including paint.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
supraguy@aol;1680645 said:
...insured and tagged the car. For the first time since Bill Clinton was President...

:rofl: That's been a while now...

You know, I always thought I might buy one of these some day, so in preparation, I bought a nose emblem for an AW11 a couple years back. Still have it, just in case. :)

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
te72;1680940 said:
:rofl: That's been a while now...

You know, I always thought I might buy one of these some day, so in preparation, I bought a nose emblem for an AW11 a couple years back. Still have it, just in case. :)

The AW11 nose emblem is the coolest one next to the 86-90 Supra nose emblem.

When my parts car went back to the junkyard, as a memory I took the Toyota rear window shade off and screwed it to the top of my door in my bedroom at my parents house. I think I still have it...