My old crank, why did this happen?

slidebabyslide

Starting FRESH !!!!
Dec 17, 2006
salinas,california
Ok, so i guess this is the main reason i need a crank:naughty:.

My motor never made any noises and the bolt was not even loose. I guess previous owner of my car? What do you guys think happen. CSI the crank ...lol :momaru:

Should i reuse my keys or not?>

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Yes it can using a faux carbon key and welding...it will need to be turned. If it's a 7M crank (vs 6M) I'd look in to doing it if the rest of the crank is in good shape...7M cranks are getting hard to find.

slidebabyslide;938309 said:
Should i reuse my keys or not?
I'd get new keys ;)

buldozr

Jan 9, 2007
North Texas
the southerners here call that 'rolling the keyway'. I did that on my sbc 327 in the v8 z, you dont want to try to weld that. Usually caused by a cracked crank pulley or like said previously, the crank bolt backing out. It will throw off the balance and it will just come apart again(cast or forged crank, doesnt matter) from my experiences. I lost a block cause of my 'patching' wouldnt hold 6500rpm shifts. Sorry bout your bad luck and hope you get your baby back on the road soon.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
buldozr;940804 said:
the southerners here call that 'rolling the keyway'. I did that on my sbc 327 in the v8 z, you dont want to try to weld that. Usually caused by a cracked crank pulley or like said previously, the crank bolt backing out. It will throw off the balance and it will just come apart again(cast or forged crank, doesnt matter) from my experiences. I lost a block cause of my 'patching' wouldnt hold 6500rpm shifts. Sorry bout your bad luck and hope you get your baby back on the road soon.
Did you weld and cut in the same place, or 180 out?