My new Toy, back to the Domestics

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
Well I was browsing Craigslist and I had the itch for a classic. Now we all know Muscle Cars are becoming harder and harder to find these days but I knew I had to have one. My main thing is the sound of the doors when they close, geez what a sound! It's music to my ears! Only an old muscle car era vehicle will do this.
I found the one that caught my eye :D 1970 Chevy Monte Carlo (poor mans Chevelle lol) Car was not to bad of condition for a 40yr old vehicle just needing some body work and an interior. The plus' I found were that the door panels were in great condition as was the dash! Rarely no cracks at all but the seats and head liner were another story. I need to get some detail pictures of them tomorrow in the day light but overall I am pleased. I do need a bench seat as there is some ghetto rigged captains chair in there now :nono:
Powertrain was very impressive;
Small Block Chevy (supposedly .40 0ver)
Mild lift cam ( you will hear the video, somewhere in the range of a .500+ lift cam
Edelbrock Performer intake and Carb (that has to go!)
Headers and a full 2.25 exhaust with flowmasters (def need bigger)

Tranny is a TH350 and the rear is an 8.2 10 bolt with 3.73 gears (I think, havent really inspected it yet)

Some things I will be changing in due time;
850 Double Pumper holley
Super Victor 2925 intake
202 fuelie heads, screw in studs with 1.6 roller rockers
dual or triple valve springs
High lift cam (probably around .650 - .700) but not sure on Solid or Roller based set up.
MSD 6al and 2 step box

Tranny, keep the TH350 and later on swap it for a 5 speed :) Gears will be 3.42 with a posi of course haha
Exhaust, well 3.5" with dumps OVER the rear end

Main focus on this car is to make it look mildly fast, but the body and interior will stack in tack as original. I want it to sound scary but no look it :naughty: Only major things in the interior will be my monster tach and Grant GT 714 wood wheel. Not to sure if I am keeping the column shifter or going with a B&M Quicksilver floor shifter.

Here is a video walk through thus far and a sound of this pretty healthy motor and a couple pics of when I finally picked it up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n_HkynKKI4

cimg0109m.jpg

cimg0107y.jpg

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
<3

My dad's got a '70 Chevelle, which will be mine as soon as I buy a house (hurry up, self!). I adore oldschool muscle.