My new car= decision making

What should i do before installing my go fast parts

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
So guys, ive been thinking long and hard about my new car. a little info on it: 87 turbo targa, its bone stock even still has the stock cats, 100,000 miles on the original engine, and the car overall is in perfect condition even the rubber lines under the hood are all in really good shape.

I know this sounds like a no brianer, but keep in mind i sat around with my last car for almost three years, and didnt get to drive it a total of six months b/c my MHG job was severly fowled up by the machinist the first time, and it snowballed from there. So the big decision i have to make is, before i put the AEM, a full exhaust, and 57 trim on it, Should i

A: Run it the way it is and run the risk of headgasket trouble.

or B: When i put my clutch and flywheel in, just pull the entire engine, replace all gaskets with a cometic gasket kit(composite NOT metal), and ARP studs?

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Where's the option to replace the head gasket with a MLS gasket?

I would at least replace the HG and stick some ARP's in it before upgrading much.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
If it were my car, I'd yank the motor and replace all of it, why do it "twice persay. It doesn't make sense to me to install a 57 trim turbo and not install a better head gasket, I'm assumming (of course I hate to asume) your gonna go past factory boost, After all you are installing a larger than factory turbo.
But that's me and my five cent opinion.

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
Boostedmkiii;1421294 said:
Go ahead and put a better head gasket in. Do it before you have problems and you are more likely to have less down the road.
Thats what im leaning towards

WhtMa71;1421301 said:
Where's the option to replace the head gasket with a MLS gasket?

I am not going down that road again, unless i plan on building another engine ;)

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
I always say, before making any mods/changes I like having a 100% running/ working car. Then once proven to be strong under OEM conditions it is time to mod it.

Supra_Villan

needs his car done
Nov 10, 2007
Wellsville MO
if it runs great right now and is untouched get a mbc at 10-12lbs (or do the washer trick) a good intake like the apex'i one, retorque the headbolts to 72ftlbs, 3inch from the turbo back, and perhaps a fmic...trust me...you'll love it. Then after you get bored with that move on the the mhg and arps...if your hg is fine and you retorque the head bolts to 72ftlbs you'll be perfectly fine man. I don't know why everyone is so gung ho about cracking it open and tearing it down for a proper mhg install...if it ain't broke dont fix it ya know? if you are looking for >325whp then what i said above will be plenty and fun!

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
Supra_Villan;1421342 said:
if it runs great right now and is untouched get a mbc at 10-12lbs (or do the washer trick) a good intake like the apex'i one, retorque the headbolts to 72ftlbs, 3inch from the turbo back, and perhaps a fmic...trust me...you'll love it. Then after you get bored with that move on the the mhg and arps...if your hg is fine and you retorque the head bolts to 72ftlbs you'll be perfectly fine man. I don't know why everyone is so gung ho about cracking it open and tearing it down for a proper mhg install...if it ain't broke dont fix it ya know? if you are looking for >325whp then what i said above will be plenty and fun!

Hey S.V you have a good idea actually, for the most part I agree.

My school of thought: The car has 100k miles, It's hard for me to belive that it's a real solid motor. At a 100k miles, now your asking the motor to go 12 p.s.i. after going factory 8 or so p.s.i. for 100k miles, this may not be good for the rings, may be four more p.s.i. doesn't might not hurt it, don't know tough, I'm no expert Obviously, maybe I'm just talking out of my ass. But,... From my experience, I did a valve job on a motor that had that many miles and the rings blew out, a few weeks later the compression only had 20 l.b.s. of compression.
Your thinking 12 p.s.i. at 325 h.p,,,, that may not be his goals, if it is his goals, then I would tend to agree with you. again my five cents:icon_bigg

IndyMK3

I Hate Godzilla Too!!!!
May 15, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana
alex.... pull it... just do it... i have the garage to do it in and we can get a picker.. better be safe than sry.. and trust me if it is sittin at my house it will get done.... i hate the fact that coopers car is sitting behind the house not doing anything.... then we can do mine lol

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
I vote for the HG. I have been down this road. 92nsx is correct. Get the head decked,use ARP head studs, crank the MF's down tight. Then you won't have to go down the road of a blown HG like so many here have. If your funds are limited. This is where I would spend my hard earned dollars. The worry about upgrading.

Dan