my MK2 Dream

Nomad707

Im From The Bay
Mar 14, 2007
Santa Rosa, California
OK... so i saw This on ebay and about shit myself...

a 1985 supra WITH 5,600 ORIGINAL MILES?!?!? WTF!?!??
anyway back to the point..

Last night i did some serious thinking.. i've been flipflopping back and forth about what i really want to do with my supra.. first i wanted to 1j swap, then 2j swap, then i just wanted to build up my 7m.. now...i think i have decided which direction i'll be going.

I think im going to buy a mk2 in decent shape with a blown motor, (or try to find someone who will trade me complete bodies) And shove my mildly built 7m into it. I was thinking about it.. and it just seems nothing but badass.
i dont know the weight of the mk2, but im guessing 300-500 lbs lighter? which means alot more get up n go.

If anyone has any experience or opinions about this, please do discuss.

I was planning on swapping out my 7mgte with the a340e into the mk2.. i know its a fairly simple swap. Just looking for your personal opinions and experience to share if you have any. searched around and kinda a subject i havent seen touched in a while.

-Ryan

cartel1_950

supra is gone
Jan 30, 2006
calgary
i'm in the same boat man. the mkiii is a nice car but a mkii with a 2jz would be amazing haha big dreams for a broke mkiii owner!

Nomad707

Im From The Bay
Mar 14, 2007
Santa Rosa, California
I have my 7mgte with simple bolt ons.. so i imagine the mk2 will be a little bandit!!!

(planning on rebuilding the 7m with mild performance parts (budget 1,000$)

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
Engine:
6 CYLINDERS 5.7 Liters

Made me giggle a little bit at least.

To the original poster. Are you sure that you only want a MK2 because you've just seen this uber clean one on ebay?

I know a 7M'd MK2 will be pretty damn quick, but as much as I like the MK2, I'd wouldn't give my MK3 up for one.

I'd wait a bit, get the MK3 just right for you, and then buy a MK2 as a completely difference project.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Keith Poe on here has a MKII with a 7mgte in it. He also bought the 7mgte from my car and is having it built right now to install in his MKII. It has the w58 tranny though. Good luck.

Silvermk2

MkII Weenie
Apr 4, 2005
Stockton, CA
Yes, the W58 will hold up if you don't abuse it. That car on ebay isn't in that great of shape. I'd say around 8k for it tops. The last really nice Mk2 on ebay was a 3k mile 85 that actually sold for 10k outside of ebay. About 12-13k is the absolute top market price for a Mk2 right now.

Nomad707

Im From The Bay
Mar 14, 2007
Santa Rosa, California
alright.. so my plan is in stone now..
Im going to start making a checklist of things that i need, so i can have everything i need, before i start the swap.

What am i looking at in terms of parts?

Am i going to be able to use my A/T 7mgte ECU with a w58 trans?

I decided on not rebuilding the 7mgte, just going to drop it in (because its still low to mid milage)

suggestions wanted!

gimme an earfull =P

(oh yeah, if anyone has an mk2 they wanna get rid of pm me)

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
I own both a Mk2 and a Mk3. The difference in weight, and how LIGHT the Mk2 feels is immense. It would definately be a handful with a high HP 7M. Ironically the rear seats are much roomier, and the hatch is massive, even though its a smaller car.

Silvermk2

MkII Weenie
Apr 4, 2005
Stockton, CA
I have. The Mk2 seats are much better than the Mk3 seats and about half the weight, heck the seats are probably the best feature of a Mk2. The only downside to the Mk2 seats is they cost a fortune to have a shop reupholster them and the seat backboard is tough to restore.

BTW if you are planning a Mk2 7M swap you should read the 7M FAQ at celicasupra.com. If you are ever in the Valley area on a weekend you can swing by and I'll show you mine (but hardly any of mine is "stock 7M").

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Silvermk2 said:
I have. The Mk2 seats are much better than the Mk3 seats and about half the weight, heck the seats are probably the best feature of a Mk2.

You think so? I've always liked the feel of the Mk3's myself over the Mk2's I've sat in :dunno:

You are damn straight on the weight of those suckers...

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
JustAnotherVictim said:
Where's Tanya to masturbate all over the car???

Already been done when this was posted at cs.com, heh.

Quoting myself, I sent this to the guy who gave me the ebay link...

"i r just dampened my panties ::humps monitor::"

starscream5000 said:
MK2 with MK3 seats = sex.

um, no. Mk2 seats weigh like 45lbs, mk3 seats weigh like 70lbs, LOL And people wonder why the mk3s are so piggish. Mk2 seats are very comfortable!

I've been in 4 turbo'd mk2s now, including Wades 420rwhp beast, and all I can say is DAMN! Maybe I will boost a mk2 someday when I'm more sure of my mechanical skills and have a shitload more patience, but for now I'm sticking with my slow, simple n/a, lol.

Blackfin

Beach Bum
Jun 16, 2005
John's Pass, Florida
^^^^ Werd

The leather seats in the MK2 are some of the nicest seats ever put in any car, regardless of price point. It's the first thing I check for whenever I see one of these cars. The seats in this car look pretty good, I wonder if the leather is still soft.

Sadly the last time I saw some that were still supple was the day they hauled my wrecked 30,XXX mile 1984 away in 2001. The drunk girlfriend of my neighbor's son slammed into and totalled the car while it was momentarily parked in front of my home on a secluded dead end street. :3d_frown: