My knocking new ride...

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
After graduating from an '85 Celica GT-S, I purchased this '89 Supra last Saturday. It has an inconsistent knock. I am not sure if it's a rod or if the valves and lifters are in need of adjustment. It sure runs good even though it may need an engine. It is a non turbo in case yall are wondering. So what do yall think? (About the car, not the knocking)

p362508_1.jpg

p362508_2.jpg

p362508_3.jpg

rednuht44

Aug 8, 2006
indiana
wow thats crazy because thats pretty much my exact ride same int an all , mine also developed a knock about a week after i got it and it should be back with a new engine tommorrow im pretty pumped

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Sweet, I get to post under next months ROTM winner. You did enter, didn't you? If you didn't enter then Soup is kicking your ass............:biglaugh:

Sorry for the HiJack......You're car is very nice and clean. Hopefully you can get the knock fixed before it becomes worse................lol

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
foreverpsycotic said:
whatever you do, keep the interior that color. its so hot

I have no intentions on changing the interior. The only physical appearance I may change are the wheels...much later after the mechanical issues are resolved. The car has, I'm guessing, around 200k miles on it. The odometer states 132k but when I carfaxed it, it reported an odometer inconsistantcy. I believe the cluster was replaced because the odometer does not appear to be rolled back, the numbers are too straight. Anyway, I bought the car because of the clean body and interior. I can work out the mechanical issues. Besides, it's not a daily driver, but my new toy to sink lots of money into.:naughty:

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Excellent project car by the looks of it. Trully a nice find. Since it was auto NA I bet you got a nice deal didn't you. And that sexy clean body and interior just makes it a really, REALLY good base to start with. I hope you enjoy it and keep us up to date with pics along the way :)
OH! And one more thing; you're right about sinking lots of money into it. They are like sponges ;)
eric

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
Very Nice Na!!! Extremely clean, even if it is rod knock jdm's are cheap. I wish I could have started with something that nice.................. Anyway welcome to your new addiction..........................

OT= Hero Im not going to kick Nates ass!!!!!!!!!:evil2:

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
Oper8or said:
Cheap JDM replacement engines? Where the crap do you find them? I'd like to know. Instead I'm thinking of having mine rebuilt.

I guess I dont know what your idea of cheep is???? But my idea of cheep = EBAY..........................:icon_bigg

around $700 will get you a ge shipped

around $1200 will get you a gte shipped

But to be honest a rebuild may be better depending on what your plans are?????

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
Nice job Supradan I was going to do that but was short on time this morning.......+1 for helping!!!!:bigthumb:

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
87 Silver Sniper said:
I like it...were those tweeters in the door when you got it? The look good.

Yeah they were. One of the previous owners had quite the audio system in it. The current radio is not hooked up so don't know if I even have speakers. Oh well, it goes on the list of things to do.

BTW...I took it by a shop and it's a rod knocking for sure. I see a JDM in my future. Taking donations for a 7M GTE so feel free to give to the cause.:naughty: