My JZA70 Track Times

The Amazing Spider-Man

PETER PARKER
Oct 14, 2005
Santa Clarita, Socal
www.myspace.com
Last night I went to the track (LACR) to get some practice. Now i know I'm not the best driver so my number are probably not impressive. The only thing I have on my car is a bone stock 1jz (stock air box, exhuast ect) and Tein suspension. Before i went on the track i lowered my tire pressure to 30 and took out the spare tire. I raced a dc2 integra, an ek civic, a non sti wrx and an sti wrx twice in that order. I lost to all but but the integra. my times actually improved each time i went except for the last one. My times were never this good before. As for my reaction times and launch they are really bad. I was wondering if you guys could give me tips on launching. I tried a couple different techniques but i don't know if its right or proper procedure. I tried reving 2500-2700 rpms and easing of the clutch which resulted in slow take off. Then I tried the same thing but released the clutch quickly and slightly quick on the gas which resulted in wheel spin. I also tried reving 3000 3400 rpms with the same techniques but both ended up with wheel spin. Is there any tips or different methods you guys can give me to imrove my launch?

here are my numbers in the order i raced. my reaction times really suck. i really don't know what i'm doing.

dc2 integra
e.t. 17.1
r.t. .020

spider-man
e.t. 15.8
r.t. .792
sm_photo_missing.jpg

ek civic
e.t. 15.7
r.t. .119

spider-man
e.t. 15.5
r.t. .901
sm_photo_missing.jpg

wrx non sti
e.t. 13.9
r.t. .586

spider-man
e.t. 15.4
r.t. .733
sm_photo_missing.jpg

stock wrx sti (he said he just got it from the dealer)
e.t. 14.8
r.t. .596

spider-man
e.t. 15.0
r.t. 1.052
sm_photo_missing.jpg

same stock wrx sti as above
e.t. 14.8
r.t. .592

spider-man
e.t 15.8
r.t. 1.231
sm_photo_missing.jpg

15.0 is the best time i've ever had so far.

Last edited:

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Easiest way to improve, probably one of the most expensive options as well:
et_drag_radial.jpg

What kind of tires did you have in the back? Were they worn out? Poor tires can really hurt your launch.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Reaction time does not count in your elapsed time for a test and tune session. His problem is seen if you look at his 60 ft times. They range from a 2.3 to like a 2.8. The launch is crucial and it looks like you just need more practice and more traction.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
Sawbladz said:
Reaction time does not count in your elapsed time for a test and tune session. His problem is seen if you look at his 60 ft times. They range from a 2.3 to like a 2.8. The launch is crucial and it looks like you just need more practice and more traction.

im no expert but i would have to say that in my opinion more traction will not help much.

look at his trap speeds, he never got faster than 95mph. if i got those kinds of trap speeds id probably do a compression test to see where im at with that motor.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
bowsercake said:
Easiest way to improve, probably one of the most expensive options as well:
et_drag_radial.jpg

What kind of tires did you have in the back? Were they worn out? Poor tires can really hurt your launch.

Best advice here thus far

A guy local here runs a 95MPH trap and ran a 14.1 on street tires. It just takes practice but with ET streets it will solve any traction problem and then you can concentrate on driving and times.

Duane

SD2JZA70

HardTunedMotorsports
Apr 5, 2005
San Marcos, CA
www.cardomain.com
lagged said:
im no expert but i would have to say that in my opinion more traction will not help much.

look at his trap speeds, he never got faster than 95mph. if i got those kinds of trap speeds id probably do a compression test to see where im at with that motor.
Traction is what he needs. I was running low 14s with similar mph back in the day. Also LACR where he raced is high elevation, he would run about 2-3 mph faster at sea level.

The Amazing Spider-Man

PETER PARKER
Oct 14, 2005
Santa Clarita, Socal
www.myspace.com
Doward said:
Dude, you almost got beat by a Civic. :D

Nice, though! 5 spd or automagic?
5 spd and the civic did win :cry: .

so you guys are saying that my traction is my problem and that i should get better tires? my tires were kinda worn when i went. how about my launch technique, should i change it or keep it the same? and how does sea level contribute to drag? sorry i'm kinda of a noob when it comes to this. btw thanks guys for the responses and tips

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Tires will help some.. but the car is WAY down on power..

My 91 with the 7m (3 years ago) went 14.3 at 95 mph bone stock with upped boost (hit 10psi fell to 7).. Stock exhaust and intake..

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
tissimo said:
Tires will help some.. but the car is WAY down on power..

My 91 with the 7m (3 years ago) went 14.3 at 95 mph bone stock with upped boost (hit 10psi fell to 7).. Stock exhaust and intake..

im with this guy, i think that motor is pretty shot. id start savin for a rebuild!

of course better tires, better driving technique will get you better times to a point, but as a starting point those times are terrible, and not exactly because of your driving, more because of the motor.

even if you had terrible traction and a terrible launch id still think your trap speeds should be higher... the car had a whole 15 seconds to get to the low 90s so, yeah.

my 7m did about the same thing, mid 14s bone stock.

The Amazing Spider-Man

PETER PARKER
Oct 14, 2005
Santa Clarita, Socal
www.myspace.com
so lacr's website says the track is 2710 ft above sea level and that you should multiply your time by .97 . that gave me 14.5, is that still too high? and what does sea level have in play with my times? it also said multiply your speed by 1.03 which gave me 96.4 mph is that any good? oh and what numbers should a stock jza70 be doing anyways?

Last edited:

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
mattjk said:
I'm sure his motor is fine. It has a stock airfiter, stock 2" downpipe and stock exhaust...

if anything, i bet his stock muffler is broken inside and is choking power.
could be.. get a better exhaust and replace the cat with a high flow unit and see what happens. The car deff isn't making very good power, roughly 250-260 hp at teh crank I would say..

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
The Amazing Spider-Man said:
so lacr's website says the track is 2710 ft above sea level and that you should multiply your time by .97 . that gave me 14.5, is that still too high? and what does sea level have in play with my times? it also said multiply your speed by 1.03 which gave me 96.4 mph is that any good? oh and what numbers should a stock jza70 be doing anyways?

the reason power goes down with higher elevation is because the higher you go, the less air pressure there is. this means the air is "thinner" with less oxygen. oxygen is what makes power so if you have less of it, the less power you will make.

the fact that you have a stock exhaust and were at a fairly high altitude were all factors playing against you.

if i were you though i would compression test the motor just to see where youre at. like i said in my first post, im no expert i was just stating my opinion.

unless you are planning on entering into some events, it dosnt really matter what times you get as long as you are having fun with the car that is all that matters!