My journey with my '91 Sunroof.

Boosted MK3

Jul 6, 2013
Forest Hill, MD
kakanator;2046137 said:
shit just got real. nice man back from the dead and better.

Thanks man, ran into some snags here at the end, my timing got out of whack after I set it but before the motor was installed and started really put me though hell and back trying to figure it out, I figured it was a harness or spark issue. After ruling them out, with the helpful advise of a local guy known on here as Chambers I believe, I got it figured out. Also popped my JZ cherry recently as I helped another local guy drop a 1jz Auto into his '89 red targa. His car is simply stunning in person, very clean.

Boosted MK3

Jul 6, 2013
Forest Hill, MD
As promised, here is an update. Car ran for a while today, but for some reason my timing keeps getting out of whack. I believe my belt may be stretched. I ordered a new belt and tensioner with next day shipping, hopefully they will be here by the weekend and that will alleviate my issues and keep the car running.

IMG_20150420_235528 by Gt=Reminisce, on Flickr

IMG_20150422_112755 by Gt=Reminisce, on Flickr

[video=youtube;LBb_C-f0tV0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBb_C-f0tV0[/video]
[video=youtube;HqsVv2geyRQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqsVv2geyRQ[/video]

Last edited:

Boosted MK3

Jul 6, 2013
Forest Hill, MD
supraguy@aol;2046335 said:
Well, congrats on getting it all back together.
Hopefully, the new timing belt cures your remaining issues.
Thanks, It's already a new belt but the tensioner is old, probably 10-20k miles on it. Just gonna replace both for piece of mind.

Boosted MK3

Jul 6, 2013
Forest Hill, MD
Well all my timing components came in today, put them on and started the car, let it warm up while checking all the hoses, took it for a ride, everything looks good. But then I noticed a battery light. Got the the gas station and the car wouldn't restart. Alt went bad. Luckily I had the jump box in the backseat, so I got it home. Got a new one from another local supra owner, put it in and grounded it out because I was rushing (had to be to work in 20 minutes, 10 minute drive). Blew a fuse when I did that, so needless to say the car didn't accompany me to work. I'll get a new one tomorrow. Hopefully somewhere local has the correct fuse it's a 100A. Onto pictures/ first drive video.

IMG_20150424_161348 by Gt=Reminisce, on Flickr

[video=youtube;CrQm0J1Ahdw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrQm0J1Ahdw[/video]

Boosted MK3

Jul 6, 2013
Forest Hill, MD
Haven't Updated this in a while so here we go. Currently have about 600 miles on the motor and clutch! Turbo I was sold as "good" is definitely on it's way out as I'm burning some oil. On the first drive my timing got out of whack. Again. Turns out my tensioner spring was stretched and was the real cause of my issues. Oh well. Got that fixed on the side of the road thanks to a local supra owner. Other than that it's been driving pretty much perfect. still have a power issue, I'm starting to think my starter might be going bad as well but it's basically brand new. Only other issue I fixed was my coolant leak at the firewall was coming from the plastic heater valve. It was cracked. Right now it's summer and I don't have A/C, and my heat isn't working anyway (fan won't kick on) so I just looped it for right now, I'll do a proper fix at some point. I really just need a few days to tear some stuff apart and get it all fixed and get the oil changed. Also washed it at some point, still need to do a good wax but man that paint shined up great off just a wash. Onto pics.

IMG_20150514_143306 by Aubrey Evans, on Flickr

IMG_20150513_153057 by Aubrey Evans, on Flickr

IMG_20150513_150331 by Aubrey Evans, on Flickr

IMG_20150509_185355 by Aubrey Evans, on Flickr

IMG_20150507_124946 by Aubrey Evans, on Flickr

IMG_20150505_124316 by Aubrey Evans, on Flickr

IMG_20150427_145628 by Aubrey Evans, on Flickr

IMG_20150501_163128 by Aubrey Evans, on Flickr

20150429_182345 by Aubrey Evans, on Flickr

20150429_152239 by Aubrey Evans, on Flickr

Flippy911

Aug 19, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Your perseverance is definitely inspiring. When I had my 7M running, my HG blew on my way to work... So I know that stressful feeling >_< Good work on your build.

Boosted MK3

Jul 6, 2013
Forest Hill, MD
So guys, may have been beating on the car a little lately... I'm at about 1,500 miles on the rebuild and have done my first oil change. Did that at 1,250 miles, was planning to do it at 1,000 but I took the car to the Ocean and back which is about a 400 mile round trip. Car made it there and back flawlessly, but after a weekend of a few skids and burnouts, and maybe a 40 roll or two, my clutch has been hating life. Gonna save up and finally do a r154 swap. When I originally did my 5 speed swap I was only 16-17 and had nearly no money so I took the cheap route and went w58. It's done well so far but now that I'm looking to up the power I need a proper trans. Got a few short videos of random dumb shit I was doing in the car. Enjoy, or don't, I don't really care I'm driving my car. :icon_bigg

[video=youtube;o29VNJAdtx8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o29VNJAdtx8[/video]
[video=youtube;XBYpfxxBHl8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBYpfxxBHl8[/video]
[video=youtube;bo5_2AU4dAs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo5_2AU4dAs[/video]

Flippy911;2048427 said:
Your perseverance is definitely inspiring. When I had my 7M running, my HG blew on my way to work... So I know that stressful feeling >_< Good work on your build.
Thanks man, I'm not one to easily give up. Personally I feel the 7m has gotten a pretty unfair shake on life, it has good potential when built correctly and I love the fact it's the motor that actually came in the car where I'm from. If I lived in japan or somewhere else, Id love to own a legit jza70, but since I'm in the US I'll stick with my MA70 for a bit.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
On that video of you racing the Lambo, I never heard your turbo at all.
Admittedly, your exhaust is loud, but what boost are you running at?

Boosted MK3

Jul 6, 2013
Forest Hill, MD
RHDSupra89;2049863 said:
Soubde like a fun trip with the supra. Feels good when hard work pays off. Nice dude
Thanks man!

supraguy@aol;2049898 said:
On that video of you racing the Lambo, I never heard your turbo at all.
Admittedly, your exhaust is loud, but what boost are you running at?
Open bic performance DDP, it's impossible to hear anything above but "noise" above 2k rpm. Below 2k it sounds like a diesel truck. Not running anything major, around 13psi.