My JDM JZA70 Twinturbo R Project

Krister

Holset lover
May 2, 2005
Finland, Europe
Here's my TTR I bought a few weeks ago. I have a MKIV aswell, but I'd like to start road racing and perhaps practice some drifting. The MKIV too expensive for me to start playing around with it so I tought I'd get something cheaper. This is my sixth Supra and fourth MK3.

I got the MK3 from an import company the imports JDM cars from Japan. I got this one for a good price as it had electrical problems (bad ecu) and they didnt know how to fix it.

Its a -91 model with 40k miles on the clock, but I think it could have been driven some more as the shift knob is a little worn. The car has been repainted in Japan, It's originally dark green. Performance upgrades consist of a Trust exhaust, unknown 3" downpipe, AEM filter and Mine's ECU that I bought from Yahoo auctions that fixed the flooding on 3 and 5 cylinder. There was a rip on the drivers side seat, so I bought a used Bride seat with bolt-on JZA70 sliders and four point harness. There is also an aftermarket Momo race steeringwheel and Razo pedals. The wheels are two piece 17" with almost new tires.

One thing that still needs attention is that it's very hard to change to 2nd gear. It's no problem if the car is stand still, but when on the road, I have to go through first to get to 2nd gear. It doenst grind or anything, it's just doesnt want to go in gear, like something is holding the stick. I chaged to Redline MT-90, it made the tranny smoother but didnt help on the shifting issue. Any ideas?

Plans for the car are some cheap coilovers for track use, maby K-Sport with custom springs that my friend sells or then buy a used brand name set from Yahoo auctions. I'd also like paint the wing, mirrors and mouldings to match the body and perhaps install a Gracer front bumper and Bomex sides and rear quarter panels. I have a Night pager kit and 300ZX TT calipers laying around that I was going to fit my previous MK3, so those are propably going to be installed now. I'm also considering an aftermarket LSD like Cusco if I can get one for cheap. I want to keep this as a budget build, so nothing fancy or expensive as the MKIV is the main "money pit" :)

Here's some bad pics that I took with my camera as I forgot my camera home. I'll take better pics later:
kuva021800zd7.jpg

kuva028800xw2.jpg

kuva022800rv0.jpg

kuva030800ib9.jpg

kuva024800jr1.jpg

kuva025800at8.jpg

Last edited:

jdmk3_87t

Take it!
Apr 29, 2005
SoCaL
Welcome to the burgandy world Krister! Can't wait to see what's in store with this new sup! Now you have both a70 and a80, don't sell em' now...Very JDM dude, I love it!

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I like the red and black also. It looks very good like it is. Good find and I'll give you a thousand dollars for it.........o.k. two thousand but you drive a hard bargain.

Krister

Holset lover
May 2, 2005
Finland, Europe
Thanks for all your positive comments!

williamb82 said:
as for your shifting problem, could be synchros or the thrust washer. prolly the thrust washer is toast. nice car though.

Which thrust washer? I was in the impression if 'the' thrust washer is shot, then it wouldnt go in first gear? Well, I'll have to bribe someone to rip out the tranny and see what's wrong with it.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
idk, i had 1 trans not go in first, then it wouldnt go in first or 2nd. 2nd trans hada prob with 2nd like yours and i pulled it that weekend before it got worse. pulled 1 apart and had a bad thrust washer, put it back together then gave it to a friend to use for mock up for a 7mgte into a rwd corolla, 2nd one i never took apart, sold it to a guy for a mockup of a 1uz/r154 int oa mkii. could be a bent/cracked shift fork i suppose, possibly even a synchro though i havent heard of anyone with bad syncros on a r154 before.

Krister

Holset lover
May 2, 2005
Finland, Europe
Intothenight19 said:
Droool Bride seats...Future upgrade for me...Loving the simplicity of it!

One bride seat only I'm afraid. It's the nature of this project, I'm doing everything "half assed" ie. on a budget :D

Some updates on the tranny issue. Me and my friend will take off the tranny next week and another friends co-worked will rebuild the tranny for me. I'll order the MDC Motorsports R154 rebuild kit and sell the rest of the parts that I wont use on it. I should brake even with the cost of the rebuild kit as the original bearings are rediculously priced at the local Toyota.

I'd like to put in an aftermarket clutch at the same time, but every clutch is $500 or more.. I'll try to see if I can find something cheaper.

Krister

Holset lover
May 2, 2005
Finland, Europe
Some updates regarding the car.

I had the tranny rebuilt and the 2nd gear synchro was totally gone. I also had to buy one gear, so it want cheap :( At the same time I installed as a precaution a new slave cylinder, thrust washer and my friend made a 4-puck clutch using the original clutch disk as a base. It went in with the stock pressure plate. It should add the torque capacity by 20-25%, so far it's holding up good.

I also got to participate the first winter track day with the Sup, I posted some pics and info about it here:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64563
1640ek5.jpg

I also dynoed the car, I was very impressed with the power with just the small upgrades the cars has: 3" downpipe, Greddy exhaust, AEM filter and Mine's ECU. Boost was 14psi without a boost controller. I got 337hp/428Nm calculated crank HP, which is around 270whp/300ft.lbs. I'm guessing there is around 20-30hp more with some AF tuning (10:1 almost all the way) and with a little more boost, but I'd like to keep things safe as possible. I was particurally impressed with the torque the 1JZ made: over 300ft.lbs from 2500-6000rpm. I love the 1JZ :)

Black line: Crank HP
Blue line: Wheel HP
Red line: Crank TQ in Nm
Pink line: Boost.
tehokyrlr9.jpg

Here's a picture of the used Tein HA Coilovers I bought from Yahoo auctions Japan. They should arrive in two months. I hope they arent shot.
600x4502007120400014la8.jpg

600x4502007120400013zd0.jpg

Last edited: