my igniton system sucks.. part2

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
So here is the deal. anything over 20psi and i'm machine gunning bad. it doesn't matter if i'm on pump, methanol, race gas, etc. i verified using all different fuels and i have the same outcome.
i borrowed my friends ignitor and coilpack. Both are low mileage unit. my idle is get a bit better with the coilpack but i'm still having the misfire.

i'm running an AUTOLITE 3923 plug. gapped at .26 all my grounds are good, and i even added a couple of more... all grounds less than .2volts which is good.

the car is throwning no codes and she is pulling 21 hg of vac at idle. i ohm checked the plug wires and there all in spec.

primary resistance in the coils is within spec.. too bad w can check the secondary.

i put the car on scope and the firing lines look good. there a bit low,,, 3kv, however this is due to the tight gap. dwell looks good, and so does coil oscilation.

did a compression test and that is good as well.. between 160-155 through all cylinders.

i'm running out of ideas..... i know i have a stock setup for igniton but this is a new thing. and i know people are running higher psi with the same setup.

the only thing i can think of is excessive carbon build up in the cylinders. i know my motor burns oil and it always has. maybe i jacked my compression a bit and with the extra boost the plug cannot fire.

you would think to, because with a waste spark system the plug fires from the ground strap to the electrode providing a much more power spark..

i even used my snap-on ST125 plug tester and i'm good to 30,000 volts ;)

so i'm at a loss here.. any tips would be great..

just nothing from jetjock :)

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
i think you guys are missing the point. i use to be able to run 25psi+ with on issues..

after speaking with IJ, I/WE feel my PCV system is not up to the task and i'm getting too much blowby trapped in the cylinder causing lose of performance and misfires...

Yblegal91t

it finally runs!
Apr 22, 2006
C1 outer
not sure yet unbtil i test teh hks twinpower out. i know my stock unit was old and well stock so i changed it. well you did say that it helped putting in an almost new unit in so in knowing that i would be looking into an upgraded unit.

Suprawannabe

meh... im lazy
Oct 27, 2005
Denver, CO
I see your still having the same prob, I actualy have pretty new NGK Iridium spark plugs(like 3 miles on them) We can try those on your motor just to eliminate plugs.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
malloynx said:
i think you guys are missing the point. i use to be able to run 25psi+ with on issues..

after speaking with IJ, I/WE feel my PCV system is not up to the task and i'm getting too much blowby trapped in the cylinder causing lose of performance and misfires...

no issues on this exact setup? or has something been changed?
are you down on power?
what is your pcv system setup?

YoNkErS87t

streetside mechanic
Mar 31, 2005
In the Garage
i would say try to widen the gap a little in your spark plugs. i know the higher the boost the smaller the gap in the plugs, but try them at .29-.30 Also how long did you have the autolites in there for?

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
Nix the autolites. NGK Copper BCPR6ES, .028-.030 gap. I run 25-35 psi on these with an otherwise STOCK ignition.

Actually, sounds like your ignition system is working. Is the fuel mixture too rich? That will cause it to misfire.

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
tried running a .22 gap and she is still breaking up..

i'm at a lose here.. AFR'S are 11.0 and soild through the range.

maybe my map sensor is on it's way out; cause sometimes i'll throw a code 31 for no reason and the car will run like total crap and then it will go back to normal. this has happened about 5 times in the past month. i triple checked the wiring and it's good

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
Where is the O2 sensor mounted? I recently had a car where the wideband O2 sensor was ~2" from the v-band clamp off the turbine. After richening up the supposed 12.8:1 mixtures it misfired like a bitch. Moved the o2 sensor about 6" away and 12.8:1 was now 10.8:1. This only became obvious after some high boost runs (30psi) that heated up the sensor enough. It was heat soaked from there out. What are you using for fuel management?

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
WB is mid downpipe. about 2ft away from the turbo.. same spot i've always had it mounted..

running the maft-pro.

also here is the lastest news.. i put some 100 octane in the tank and i ran 1.55bar (22psi) and i did a 50-160mph pull and the car ran fine. :) this was after going from the 4.20 to the 4.65 software

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
bfr1992t said:
Where is the O2 sensor mounted? I recently had a car where the wideband O2 sensor was ~2" from the v-band clamp off the turbine. After richening up the supposed 12.8:1 mixtures it misfired like a bitch. Moved the o2 sensor about 6" away and 12.8:1 was now 10.8:1. This only became obvious after some high boost runs (30psi) that heated up the sensor enough. It was heat soaked from there out. What are you using for fuel management?

make sure i understand this correctly. the wb02 was 2" from the v-band and gave false lean conditions and didnt heat up enough? then you moved to 6" away and now it stays at the correct temp and reads 2 points different?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
heat soaked o2? at the vband?

<-- looks at lsu 4.2 specs...

Temperature ranges
Exhaust gas at sensor element 850°C
Hexagon of the sensor housing < 570°C
Cable grommet (PTFE formed house)
-Sensor side < 250°C
-Cable side < 200°C
Cable and protection sleeve < 250°C
Connector < 120°C

please note the centigrades!!!

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
i think you fella's are all missing the point here. this was never an issue. i use to be able to run 1.8bar and the car wouldn't break up.. also i need to add that it really doesn't feel like a misfire but more like a SURGE.

i run the car fat on fuel and i'm pulling plugs all the time. i have ho signs of detention.

timing is 10 BTDC.. i'm not even going crazy with the PRO settings. i'm only pulling like -10% fuel.

this is a new problem and it really started happening when i started messing with the software for the maft-pro.. i'm not blaming the unit; however i do need to realize that the unit may have something to do with my driveabilty issues

suprahooked

Built 7M
Jun 20, 2006
pa
A crazy thought: Toyota ignition needs a good ground try taking the ignition off and sand the base and where you mount it. ,Just a Thought, good luck John