my head gasket delimma

giterboosted

cure for the common rice
Nov 3, 2007
toccoa ga
ok so heres my deal, i have two turbo cars, one thats insane but has a blown hg rite now, and another thats fantastic driving but its not my fav so to speak, but the old one has a very very recent hg job on it, and not a single issue in the world, and im broke as a joke so i was thinking i can swap heads and reuse that gasket in the other car for the fast one, bacause that head is already machined to spec for that gasket, and ive read that i just hafta strip the coating on the ogasket and use a spray sealer to reuse it, i was just wondering if anyone could tell me if this could work ok or not, im prolly guna try it soon, as im really tired of having such an amazing car and not be able to drive it (as many of us are lol)

giterboosted

cure for the common rice
Nov 3, 2007
toccoa ga
well, i have absolutely no funding whatsoever, and i dont call it halfassing anything, this head was already machined by a sm member, (that has a business of this sort) and the gasket didnt have hardly any mileage on it, so whats the difference in somebody reusing one with a different head that has just been machined or someone thats using the same head on a diff block thats setup for each other, im not talking about skimping everything and just slappin stuff together, but i think if i can manage to save at least that much then im doing ok, i mean, im GOING to at least try this, im not in the hole any money at all if it turns out to not work, but if it does work ive saved quite a bit

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
LEAVE the running one alone, if you're NOT going to prep the head and block surfaces correctly it's a halfassed repair .....

Don't know WTF is wrong with you guys sometimes...

MK3.0dudeman

brian L.
Mar 12, 2007
North Jersey
your nuts if your going to take your running car to fuck up two cars with cuting corrners.If yiu have no money part out the car with the bhg.

Don't say we didnt warn you.

mickgarvey

Jul 5, 2009
Mukilteo, Wa
You could always just put a layer of duck tape on the block and try that out first. Supposedly duct tape is good for fixing everything, or so I hear. And that is really cheap, could make so many gaskets with a single roll.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Just buy a felpro hg for the 'mild' supra. Doesn't sound like you're trying to make a huge amount of power with it, so it should be fine.
And you won't spend a bunch on the part either.

giterboosted

cure for the common rice
Nov 3, 2007
toccoa ga
Ok obviously I wasnt clear at all, the old car (well call it 1) doesn't function rite now, it's becme a parts car for the new one that just got the bhg (well call that one. 2). The new car has about 420 hp +-, and is much nicer of a car, the head on 1 has been prepped and has low mileage on the job and hasn't given mea single problem In theworld, I'm simply takinghead 1 and gasket 1 and prepping the block on 2 and transplanting them, this isn't halfassing anything, there's just no point in wasting a good hg in a car I'll prolly never pu back together, and I don't like bein told I'm basically an idiot for trying this, the car already has a bhg and I'm not guna drive 1 anyway so I'm not in the holeat all by trying this

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
1). Save up unemployment 2). loook here for h.g. everynow and then You can find a real nice new one for sale.

Wre are not calling you anything, were just trying to give advice.

May 19, 2006
SE Wisconsin
Once you have torqued the headbgasket its on. We all understand you spent the time to get the other head machined for the gasket job, but the head gasket will fail if you rip it off one block to put on another. go for it if you like, no one on here can force you to stop. But they do know what they're talking about

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
If its a MLS head gasket it can be reused after all the old viton has been cleaned off and copper spray has been used on every layer. If it's a stock composite gasket, you'll have to get a new one as these cannot be reused.

giterboosted

cure for the common rice
Nov 3, 2007
toccoa ga
See I would do that but the bhg one is a completely built motor, pistons rods crank and all, the previous owner just never torques down the hg again after the initial install, and yes it's a metal gasket on both, and I know I can reuse the good one if I strip off all viton and respray with copper gasket sealer, and the car wasn't driven hardly at all after final torque was applied, so theoretically I can simply strip, spray, apply gasket and head and torque down and well see what happens, should hold fine

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
WhtMa71;1544326 said:
More than likely it wasn't prepped correctly...

99% chance of that!

OP says no $$$ at all, still have to replace gaskets,coolant,oil and filter so as with most things Mk3 it's NEVER going to be a cheap job let alone another failure on his "built" engine... :nono:

giterboosted

cure for the common rice
Nov 3, 2007
toccoa ga
The former owner didn't retorque the head gasket is the cause of the leak, and it doesn't have milkshake anywhere so it's not horrendous, it's simply putting pressure into the cooling system, it was prepped just fine, it was done by a local gentleman that's been building drag supras for years, it simply wasn't retorqued, and just because I have no funding doesn't mean I have no money it just means I font have a few hundred dollars just laying around, I can afford coolant and whatnot and I already have all the other gaskets, as I said beore in goin to try this because I'm not losing anying if it doesn't work, so I guess I'll just let you guys know how it goes