My first supra. And its a 7M!

Kamicaiazzi

Feb 16, 2016
Boston
Okay so time to start my build thread. Car in question is a 1987 toyota supra turbo with a manual. It has a blown turbo and a blown headgasket. Its has pearl white paint and a burgundy red interior. Pictures of the progress so far. I plan on doing an upgraded turbo on a manifold I am currently fabbing at my metal shop. Upgraded fuel system and cams. Any and all input is appreciated. I am waiting on a few old parts to sell so I can really get some good parts for her to put her back on the road.

More pictures here

http://s1064.photobucket.com/user/Chris_Caiazzi/library/1987 Toyota Supra

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1455490492481.jpg
    FB_IMG_1455490492481.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 20160214_180444.jpg
    20160214_180444.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 20160214_002043.jpg
    20160214_002043.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Janch

Jul 23, 2012
Riga
Its funny how most of "new into supra" owners start with - I bought a supra and it has blown head gasket :D

welcome and good luck on your build. IMPORTANT - do everything correct the first time and you should be good with your 7M ;)

Kamicaiazzi

Feb 16, 2016
Boston
@joethebarber I am very excited about the car. I am mainly a Subaru kid but I saw this and had to save it. I love the car so far. Pretty easy to work on compared to boxer motors.

@Janch Yeah this car got turned into my local junkyard to get crushed. previous owner didn't want to fix it so it was sold as scrap. The body has minimal surface rust and no full rot. body is pretty straight and it was clearly a little peppy at one point. It has an aftermarket intake and exhaust on it. Lots of gauges. I couldn't live with myself if I let such a clean car get scrapped.

Kamicaiazzi

Feb 16, 2016
Boston
Project Update:

Ive narrowed down my turbo choice to 2 turbos. A precision 6062 ball bearing and a borg warner sc300. The blown ct26 was sold and a rebuildable ct26 has been sent to drift motoion for their 57 trim upgrade with a billet wheel. Ct26 is just to get through until I have my manifold done and powder coated.

I received my titan Motorsports head gasket kit with a gates racing timing belt in the mail along with a top end gasket kit for the 7m. I also was able to order a water pump so that should be here soon. Next on the list of things to track down are injectors, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator and then will be looking into the radiator as mine is leaking.

Good news from the machine shop. The cylinder head has been cleaned and is working flawlessly. They said its clear it was redone at some point so that's good news.

Still on the list of things to do is research on the oiling system. I have read the 7ms have a problem with oil pressure and then onto the very sub-par wiring job that the car has now. Still need to check the braking and suspension systems more thoroughly at some point but focusing on the drive line right now.

If there is anything I'm missing let me know or if anyone has any good info on these cars please share with me. I did end up finding an 1988 supra turbo shop manual under the spare tire so that has been my reading material for the past week.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
You're making some good progress quickly.
Do you plan on pulling the block to get checked and lapped for the MHG?
Also I would recommend pulling the rotating assembly apart and checking the bearings to see if anything is worn. Depending how long the previous owner drove with coolant in the oil they could be on the way out.

Definitely recommend a new oil pump, rockauto has Aisin pumps. Dealers don't have anymore in the US. New springs for the oil squirters are cheap as well and good piece of mind.
A full flow oil cooler system with thermostat would be nice too.

Kamicaiazzi

Feb 16, 2016
Boston
I did not plan on pulling the block. The oil pan is off the car and I have been looking at the rotating assembly. None of the main bearings seem to be stuck or discolored from excess heat. And it turns over pretty easily with the head off. I haven't seen any big red flags yet but still in the diag process. Pistons all look good and cylinder walls do not show signs of scoring or damage. I will look into that pump and oil squirter springs.