My First Shot at Fiberglass

yaitsme

Beach Bum
Mar 2, 2006
Cheatham County, TN
Never too old to learn new tricks !!

My first attempt at fiberglass is coming along pretty well ... kinda proud ... thought I'd share:

gp2.jpg

gp3.jpg

gp4.jpg

gp5.jpg

gp6.jpg

gp7.jpg

Still lotsa work left to do, I guess I'm halfway there now.

JB91389

decisions...decisions...
Jun 22, 2006
Ottawa
WTF!!!...Thats gonna look awsome! Seems like you did some pretty good work. Keep us posted when you finish it. I want to see some finish pics!

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
hmmmm.....i dont know if ill like how that looks in the car cause its not set back like the stock stuff...

however...VERY nice work man..... looking forward to see what it looks like when its done.

yaitsme

Beach Bum
Mar 2, 2006
Cheatham County, TN
Thanks guys!

Probably more hours spent in planning & pondering than actual work. I'd guess 10-12 on sculpting the mold & maybe 8 or so more on the 2 layers of 6oz fabric that you see there. A couple of hours today cutting holes & pondering more!

I have a pillar pod now & don't like the look - it's like advertising that the car's modded to anyone who happens to glance - so this seemed the best alternative.

I've molded it right into the stock black trimpiece, so it'll mount using those four screws at the top & the gauges mounting studs will stick through the stock clear gauge lens to help hold it all together. I may velcro the bottom edge for added support - it may not need it ... more pondering to be done!

I'm putting Electronic Autometer Cobalt Guages in there (+ an AEM uego gauge cause autometer's dragging their feet on a Cobalt wideband). The colors will really work well with the blue interior.

I probably would be interested in making another - I've already got ideas on how to do it better "next time" ... but it won't be anytime soon, so don't getcha hopes up. It's been pretty easy, all in all - most anybody could pull this off, I think!

*edit* I wanted to be sure that I didn't damage the circuitry on the back of the stock cluster when I first started this project - that was a high priority for me (though it may just be paranioia). I thought my gauges out on the ends would penetrate the clear lens, but it just happened that I had more room than I thought. I started by filling the area between the trim panel & the steering column with a solid piece of foam & I sat in the car with it in place to see if I could spare all that space. At the time it didn't seem too bad ... I'll be doing a test fit tomorrow (first since that day) and I'll see if it still looks 'right' then!

*edit edit* Oh ya ... also you gotta remember that these aftermarket gauges are considerably smaller than stock - so putting them closer to your face will help readability & make them 'seem' larger.

MarqIII

patiently waiting
Sep 5, 2006
Chicago
wow this is great ive actually had this same idea but sadly no car or fiberglass skills to put it into lol...but as far as the cobalt wideband ive actaully seen them for sale....great project!!

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
looks really good! i recently did a home project in fiberglass for the first time, so i think i'm ready to try and make my headlight pods in fiberglass now.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
That's looking pretty good. What gauges are you actually putting in there? I think you've got enough holes in there for every concievable gauge that would work on a car. I would only need speedo, tach, boost, water temp, oil pressure, maybe oil temp, and a rectangular slot for my wideband gauge.

inline6

Whistle>Whine
Sep 22, 2005
SoCal
starscream5000 said:
That's looking pretty good. What gauges are you actually putting in there? I think you've got enough holes in there for every concievable gauge that would work on a car. I would only need speedo, tach, boost, water temp, oil pressure, maybe oil temp, and a rectangular slot for my wideband gauge.

Dont forget fuel level, nice to have EGT and voltmeter too, which makes 10 total.

Never too many gauges, especially when you can make them like that. I love the idea of getting rid of my retarded pillar pod.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Yep, almost forgot about that one... What the hell is used to determine the fuel level on an aftermarket gauge like that? Kinda sounds like you'll end up getting the the tank and installing some kinda level reader that would run from the top of the tank to the bottom...:dunno:

BTW: 500th post...::w00t::

yaitsme

Beach Bum
Mar 2, 2006
Cheatham County, TN
From the sales propaganda:

"If you are using the Cobalt series full sweep programmable fuel level gauge (not the standard short sweep version) the full sweep programmable unit may be custom calibrated."

/\ that's me !

\/ if all else fails ...

"Auto Meter offers a universal sender under model number 3262. It operates from 240 ohms at empty and 33 ohms at full. It is adjustable from 5” to 24” tank depths. It uses a 5 bolt mounting flange. In most cases, it may be necessary to cut a new hole in the top of the tank to use this sender. It does not replace spin lock or ring type factory sending units."

As I'm going to an external fuel pump anyway, more tank fab work shouldn't be too big a deal.

I'll fill those 9 holes, left to right with: AEM uego, Tach, Boost, Speedo, Oil Press, Fuel Press, Water Temp, Fuel Level, Volts.

yaitsme

Beach Bum
Mar 2, 2006
Cheatham County, TN
First test fit tonite !!
(Car's in a shop down the road.)

The pictures are truly abysmal & I shouldn't even post em, but don't want anyone raising the b.s. flag on me :naughty:.

She slipped right into place, not much 'coaxing' required. No major issues - a little lopsided over the steering column - should be easy enough to fix. A couple of new notches to add for trim on either side of the column, again - no biggie.
I was disappointed that it doesn't fit around the vents on the right side like I expected. Maybe it sits a little differently when it's actually IN the car, maybe the parts donor I'm molding around was a little different? I dunno ... instead of sitting nicely just over the vents, it hangs down over the top half-inch of vent. Damnit. Ah well, I can live with it !!

Terrible lighting, camera phone w/o flash - this is all I've got to show:

testfit1.jpg

testfit3.jpg

testfit5.jpg

I'll keep y'all posted ... the next pics will probably be when it's painted & installed!