my first set of coilovers on my uza70

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
hey everyone im looking into getting my first set of coilovers for my uza70 (1uz swapped)supra
the goal i have for this car is to be a daily driver and weekend drifter. i neeeeeeeeed reliability.
in your opinions what coilover set offers the best balance of stiffness reliability and height ajustability
thanks

Mr--Peanut

Jun 18, 2008
Northeast
I've recently been looking into the "gixxer_drew" setup using bilstein shocks, hypercoil springs, and a sleeve kit for adjustability. It sounds a lot like what you're looking for because, based on what people say, the combo is very smooth and quiet for daily driving, yet it also shines under hard driving conditions. This is the main thread: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=446817 I'm still having trouble finding mkiii specific info about it though because it's more popular among the mkiv guys

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
I have the bilstein coilover mod on my race car and I would not recommend it. the stock shocks have to much travel and the bodies are to tall. There are a ton of threads on the various coilovers offered for our cars. just search and you will find them. Everyone has a different opinion. The main advice I can give is work withen your budget. And if your not worried about ride height then a set of springs can be just as effective as the lower level coilovers.

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
Can you explain what you mean by the shocks having too much travel? From what another person said, the shocks had too little travel which caused bottoming out issues with lowered cars.

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
They have "to little travel" because the shock body is to tall. What I mean to say is that the stroke is to long and the closed length of the shock is also to long for adequate lowering.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I like the h&rs. I also didnt mind them on the street either. They handle pretty good through the corners even without sway bars.

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
im already on tokiko blues and hr springs
the handling is alright i cant complain too much but i need the rear to drop another inch and a half and still maintin the same drivability

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
does anyone have any experience with coilover sleeves???
im wondering if i go that route if i can maintain the feel that i have with the tokico and h&r spring setup with an additional inch of drop just in the rear
if anyone knows of a way i can safely and reliably do that im all ears

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
taka21;1642089 said:
does anyone have any experience with coilover sleeves???
im wondering if i go that route if i can maintain the feel that i have with the tokico and h&r spring setup with an additional inch of drop just in the rear
if anyone knows of a way i can safely and reliably do that im all ears

I was thinking buying a set of Eibach springs and Blisten shocks for a weekend street car. Would this be bad route to go?

Would you recommend HR springs opposed to the Eibachs?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I have that setup and for me its got too much body roll with stock sway bars. The drop isnt enough either even with height adjustable shocks.

The coil over sleeves suck balls dont waste your money. Might as well just save for cheap coil overs.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
supraguru05;1639030 said:
They have "to little travel" because the shock body is to tall. What I mean to say is that the stroke is to long and the closed length of the shock is also to long for adequate lowering.

I know what you mean, you're just saying it wrong. The stroke on the front shocks is too short, it has TOO little travel. It's something like 4.25" or so. And with a close to stock rate spring, if I remember right, well over half of that travel is eaten up. You'll also notice that the stock springs are preloaded a pretty good amount, like enough to be fully extended after you pull the motor.

I think, and I know I've posted these thoughts in the Gixxer Drew thread on SF and on here in places, that the stock dimension rear shocks can work with stiffer springs but will need a revalve. I also think it would be possible to get the stock rear shocks on the front of the car, they'll also need stiffer springs and a revalve. But I never tried because I don't need to and no one wanted to pay me to try it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. The setup I built uses the same length shocks front and rear which I think were a couple inches shorter than the stock rear damper.

But if this is going to be on a drift car, I would highly suggest that you do not do the Gixxer Drew setup unless you try what I said above. The price will be awesome for what you get, but you'll still be around the price of normal entry level coilovers. Go with something with decent spring rates. I don't even know what spring rates stuff is coming with anymore but I do remember a lot of them coming with a weird split, meaning the balance between the front and rear spring rates was not right or balanced like it should be. I ran 1000lb/in in the front and 600lb/in in the back and it was awesome. I built another set running 1300lb/in in the front and 700 or 750lb/in in the back and I've been told that it's awesome as well. Both setups designed for drifting. Both setups also rode very well but they also weren't cheap. But look for my old posts on here and SF, tons of info.

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
Wiisass;1647456 said:
I know what you mean, you're just saying it wrong. The stroke on the front shocks is too short, it has TOO little travel. It's something like 4.25" or so. And with a close to stock rate spring, if I remember right, well over half of that travel is eaten up. You'll also notice that the stock springs are preloaded a pretty good amount, like enough to be fully extended after you pull the motor.

I think, and I know I've posted these thoughts in the Gixxer Drew thread on SF and on here in places, that the stock dimension rear shocks can work with stiffer springs but will need a revalve. I also think it would be possible to get the stock rear shocks on the front of the car, they'll also need stiffer springs and a revalve. But I never tried because I don't need to and no one wanted to pay me to try it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. The setup I built uses the same length shocks front and rear which I think were a couple inches shorter than the stock rear damper.

But if this is going to be on a drift car, I would highly suggest that you do not do the Gixxer Drew setup unless you try what I said above. The price will be awesome for what you get, but you'll still be around the price of normal entry level coilovers. Go with something with decent spring rates. I don't even know what spring rates stuff is coming with anymore but I do remember a lot of them coming with a weird split, meaning the balance between the front and rear spring rates was not right or balanced like it should be. I ran 1000lb/in in the front and 600lb/in in the back and it was awesome. I built another set running 1300lb/in in the front and 700 or 750lb/in in the back and I've been told that it's awesome as well. Both setups designed for drifting. Both setups also rode very well but they also weren't cheap. But look for my old posts on here and SF, tons of info.

i was hoping you would post up on here, im pretty sure you made the set thats on tErbo b00st's car how much would it run to have you do another set????

tErbo b00st

Hard Ass
Mar 20, 2007
Iowa City, IA
www.kougakuracing.com
I just want to add, listen to Wisass. He built my setup (the 1300 and 700 lbs springs) and they are still performing fantastic. The thing rides amazing on the street, and performs even better on the track. Super happy with whatever he did!

It's really mind blowing the ride quality given the high spring rates, and I've also been really confused on how all the other coilover setups use a f/r spring rate that is so close. The balance on my car is exactly how I want it.

So far I have only used the setup at the track drifting, but of course have done aggressive grip driving on the street. I plan on doing a few track days sometime soon and am fully confident the coilovers will adapt nicely.

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
ok ive logged some decent mileage on my zp coilovers and they are hanging tough. im on 16kg up front and 10kg in the rear
its stiff but i really like it so far