my first build thread

xxxpg13

Feb 6, 2012
alabama
So I bought my first supra two days ago ,and drove it for about six miles before the head gasket blew. Also have like four coolant leaks from the back of the motor. The cars kinda beat up but I wanted a project so it was exactly what I was lookin for. Its an 88 turbo model. Ill post pics up as soon as I figure out how to upload from my droid, or get to an internet source. I can't wait to break this 7m open!

xxxpg13

Feb 6, 2012
alabama
Needs to be washed.
p1802562_1.jpg

p1802562_2.jpg

p1802562_3.jpg

A little rust…
p1802562_4.jpg

Where the wrecker place I bought it from broke the igniton cylinder off the steering column. :sly:
p1802562_5.jpg

p1802562_6.jpg

p1802562_7.jpg

Ratty interior, but its mostly there
p1802562_8.jpg

It needs a lot of work but she was gonna go to scrap and I've always wanted one and couldn't stand to see it go to the crusher. Any and all advice is appreciated.
Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Good luck with that.
Bent exterior, blown motor, shredded interior.
You have a LOT of work ahead of you. I suggest you begin with one section of the car at a time.
For example, begin with the body work. It'll require you to strip some of the interior, and that way you can replace bad interior parts when you're done
pounding out the panels.

xxxpg13

Feb 6, 2012
alabama
Yeah I'm not exactly in a hurry to get it done it was bought as a long term project. I have another steering column on the way and I plan on starting on the body work sometime next week.

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
Like others have stated i would start with one area at a time. But i would look for deals in the for sale section on all of the pieces you need as some don't pop off as often. If it is a long term project pace yourself and your budget so you dont get burnt out. Besides that enjoy and when its all over you will have a sweet supra that wouldn't be on the road if it wasn't for you.

xxxpg13

Feb 6, 2012
alabama
Thanks for the encouragement guys! Like I said hopefuly the body work will start next week. I got seats and more interior but it won't be going in for a while. The only thing on this car that worries me is really is the body work cause iver only helped a friend do this a few times. That being said I have a few friends that know what they're doing and have offered their help. I also have to say I'm impressed with the hatch of the car, I have owned an s13 hatch, an fc, and I drove my brothers old fd around for almost a year and all of those hatchs leaked, there isn't any sign of water ever touching the inside of my hatch, thought that was cool. Lol thanks again guys

xxxpg13

Feb 6, 2012
alabama
And it is an 89 actually my bad. I don't know what I was thinking.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
xxxpg13;1802934 said:
And it is an 89 actually my bad. I don't know what I was thinking.

I was going to say someone swapped your rear/front end to make it look like an 86-88 lol

It'll be a long time before you drive the car again.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
7M. -__-

Just kidding! First, do you have a nice place to do the work, like a garage? I'd leave the body last. Think of it this way, a nice looking car goes nowhere if the drivetrain is poopy.

Pull the 7M and get it apart. See what you need and start looking in the classifieds for deals.

Do you know the history of the 7M in the car? Lastly, what's the plans for this car, street, drag or just for a fun cruiser?

If this is your first time pulling apart a motor, get the good quality zip lock bags, you know, the ones with the actually zip on top, and label each bag and place the bolt and part inside. It helps a lot with reassembly and take pictures of everything! The TSRM will also help!

xxxpg13

Feb 6, 2012
alabama
Its my first time pullin apart a piston motor lol. The cars at my best friends where I could pull it into to garage and ill be moving in a month and ill have an inclosed area out back I can pull it into. And the plans are just somethin to cruise and maybe track later on down the road. I have no previous history but I only paid a few hundred bucks so I'm not really complainin. I've already got money set aside for my rebuild I just don't have reliable friends so if they wanna come help do body work next week I gotta jump on it. I'm okay with it being a long time before it runs cause when it does it'll be done right.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Fair enough. Post up some pictures. What are your plans for a rebuild? Know any good local machine shops? Do your homework before using any machine shop.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
looks nice, reminds me of when i got my 1st supra, 89 just like yours.

Keep us updated. I'm intrested to see where you go with this.

xxxpg13

Feb 6, 2012
alabama
Yeah I'm actually not lookin for much as far as power is concerned stock boost and a tasteful bolt ons is enough for me so as rebuilds go its more to make it reliable. No huge turbos or major internal mods yet. Any advice on head gaskets? We have a local shop I've heard a lot of good things about but I'm in the huntsville area so if anyone has suggestions I could drive a little bit for somewhere with experience with the 7m.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
As far as head gaskets, I would say Felpro or OEM Toyota.
Since you don't plan to up the boost any time soon, you don't need to think about metal head gaskets.
I would suggest that you use ARP head studs, in place of oem bolts, though. It'll be triple the cost for the ARP's,
but they can be used again and again, unlike the one-use oem's, and studs are much better than bolts.
A composite had gasket +ARP's can easily hold 12+lbs of boost on a stock turbo all day every day.

xxxpg13

Feb 6, 2012
alabama
Yeah the crazy thing is this car was pretty much abandoned, the previous owner called the towe place and never came back and when they finally got in touch with them they told em to junk it. I said f that lol

xxxpg13

Feb 6, 2012
alabama
Supraguy you literally just answered every question I had to ask before I ordered my stuff. Thanks a ton. Will I need to have the block worked do you think?