My Experience with California Emissions Testing

comadreha

VicDic
Aug 13, 2006
Inland Empire, CA
I just wanted to pass on my experience in getting my 7MGTE to pass emissions testing this year. Maybe it will answer some questions that have
not been asked and/or supplement others that have.

It's a 91 with a new engine build. Mods as follows:

- Full rebuild (machine work, balance, JE Pistions, MHG, ARP, etc)
- AFPR
- 3" Exhaust (57 trim CT26 ---> Zoowen Re-circulated DDP ---> Carsound ebay Hi-Flow CAT ---> Vibrant Performance Ultra-quiet Resonator --->
Borla 3" IN - 2 x 2.5" in OUT)
- All emissions equipment installed except pre-cat.
- IC hard pipes
- Blitz BOV (Re-circulated)

Just as my build was being completed, I was already due for my Smog Check. The last time I have been directed to a Test-only station. This year I was not (I barely passed the last time). Still within the engine break-in period, I decided to get a pre-test done ($40), just in case I failed horribly, it would not be transmitted to the DMV. I took the advice of several posts on this forum regarding warming up the CAT before the test.

See the image below for details of the Smog Check Vehicle Inspection Report:

p778706_1.jpg

VIR A - My first pre-test run. Obviously failed.
VIR B - My second pre-test run. Better, but still failed. The smog tech warmed the car up a little more on the dyno before making another attempt.

At this point the tech recommended a new CAT.

VIR C - My first run with the new CAT. PASS! (this was the actual test for the certificate).
VIR D - I dug this up from archives and added it just for the sake of comparison. I cannot find the initial change of ownership smog check
data.

Observations:

- One of my rebuild goals was to pass emissions testing with what I had. I would have made adjustments as required, but I intended on passing
CA emissions and was going to give it a reasonable effort before ever considering the alternatives.

- The tech was not at all concerned with the non-CARB certified items in my engine bay. In fact, he bought in some of the other shop techs to show off the motor. I had lots of powdercoating done.

- I was very surprised that my brand new hi-flow cat did not help me pass emissions, but then again there were some comments made on some old
forum posts that may have indicated the possibility of some hi-flow CATS not being helpful in passing smog.

- The tech did not know the brand of the replacement 3" Main CAT or whether it was a hi-flow type. I took a look at it and I could not identify any markings, but this CAT was about 30% longer then the OEM Main CAT and 40% longer then the Carsound Hi-flow I had already
installed.

- Did it help that my engine was previously rebuilt? Maybe someone can chime in on this.

The drive home revealed some other things:

- The exhaust resonance I felt inside the car between 2000-2300 RPMs was subjectively cut down by 20-30%. It was definitely noticeable.

- There was no noticeable difference in performance response, but I am still breaking in the engine, so this might be a non-factor.

- As already previously stated in these forums. You can pass CA Emissions or similar with just the Main CAT. One of the questions to ask is "Can you accomplish it with any brand and type of CAT?" I got mine off ebay for about $90. But I had this nagging thought after the purchase.
I was debating whether this was a smart choice. I wanted the Random Technologies CAT, but decided to be spend less instead.

I have a question for gents or ladies: Can you pass emissions testing with a standalone? I have found only traces of information about this on the
web, but it doesn't answer my question.

Notes:

- AB 616 is being pushed along in CA now. It will require annual smog checks for cars 15 years or older and if approved will take effect mid-2008.

I hope this post is helpful to someone.

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Thanks for the info. Can you link up the main cat that you bought? I'm in the market for one myself to pass California smog in a few months. I think my stock cat is going out.

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
If CA doesn't plug into the computer, then I don't see why you couldn't pass with a standalone. Only reason you'd fail with a standalone is because on OBD-II vehicles, they plug into the computer to read the codes. Again, not sure about CA, but I know in NV they just make sure the CEL is out, and they put the sniffer in the pipe.

comadreha

VicDic
Aug 13, 2006
Inland Empire, CA
bowsercake said:
Thanks for the info. Can you link up the main cat that you bought? I'm in the market for one myself to pass California smog in a few months. I think my stock cat is going out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAGN...hZ016QQitemZ7950579561QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

This is close if not the exact item I purchased about 7-8 months ago. Be careful though. I did not pass with this one. The tech replaced this one in favor of one that was longer and it may have not been a high flow, but it was definitely a 3" diameter variety.