My ever slow 86.5 build thread

BuBBaStuBs

Apr 16, 2012
Yutan, ne
Hey there guys, Thought I'd throw this up and keep track of my progress on the build and show everyone else in the process.

Car: 1986.5 Toyota Supra MKIII N/A Hard Top
Mileage: Just about 200k

List of Mods So Far: 2nd Gen RX7 AFM, Smoked Turn Signal Lenses.

History of the Supra:

I traded a 1983 First Gen Mazda RX7 with a 12A for this 1986.5 Toyota Supra MKIII. There were a lot of issues with the Supra that needed fixed and I have addressed a few of them already. The clutch needed replaced as the PO didn't align the pressure plate when installing it as well as messed the threads up on 3 of the pressure plate bolts. The only part of the exhaust that was there was the stock lead pipe which had rusted the rest of the exhaust off. Lastly the right turn signal was missing and have sense replaced both front turn signal housings with smoked lenses and made my own harness for the turn signal which the same thing will be done to the driverside.

Progress Meter:

Exterior - 0%
Interior - 5%
Wheels - 50%
Fix Rust - 0%
Rebuild Engine - 0%

Pictures of the Car:

What she looked like originally

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

(Front)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Here she is... when I originally got her she was a nasty silver/grey color with glitter all over the place. A friend and I sanded down the paint and rattle canned it for now until I can do a real paint job.

Side Note: The front bumper is being repaired at the moment, thus why it's not on the car.

(Driver Side)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

(Passenger Side)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

(Rear)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

I'm slowly working on getting the car fixed up as it is my daily driver right now until I can get either my Concept One Dune Buggy going or finish paying for the 1970 Volkswagen Squareback I'm buying.

Rust wise the car isn't to bad... The front half is practically rust free while the rear section houses the main issues.

(Passenger B-Pillar Covered)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

(Passenger B-Pillar Uncovered)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

(Passenger Rear Wheel Well)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

(Driver B-Pillar Covered)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

(Driver B-Pillar Uncovered)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

(Driver Rear Wheel Well)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

(Spare Tire Area)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

I'm going to try and find replacement panels from donor cars before I try to make my own that way it removes a lot of the sources of rust.

Yesterday I did a compression test and all 6 cylinders ranged from 175-180 and I also replaced the valve cover gaskets as they were needing replaced. New plugs will be put in today as well.

I'll keep updating this thread as I get more stuff done.

Last edited:

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
BuBBaStuBs;1841281 said:
I don't think the damage is that bad and should be easily fixable but any suggestions on how i should go about fixing the driver side holes?

what I did was drill out the spot welds that are left around those under the rear rocker garnish..
then cut them out, fortunately for me my rust in the wheel lip stopped before the trim so I cut to there
then sand blast and prime
form new panels where necessary
prime, weld, grind, prime, seal, paint

gosh those little plastic/rubber panels are magic

BuBBaStuBs

Apr 16, 2012
Yutan, ne
#04;1841373 said:
what I did was drill out the spot welds that are left around those under the rear rocker garnish..
then cut them out, fortunately for me my rust in the wheel lip stopped before the trim so I cut to there
then sand blast and prime
form new panels where necessary
prime, weld, grind, prime, seal, paint

gosh those little plastic/rubber panels are magic

Once i am able to find myself another job ill have to get good replacement panels to replace them.

On a side note... checked my knock sensors today before the rain really started to hit and found out that the reason i was getting the 52 code from the ecu was because the previous owner did not have them hooked up. So going to have to do the ks rewire. Either tomorrow or sometime this weekend.

BuBBaStuBs

Apr 16, 2012
Yutan, ne
Thanks,

The front of the car is has little to no rust what so ever on it though so lucky on that one. will hopefully get her ripped apart once I get my "70 vw squareback going.

Things I need to do in the near future:

Fix passenger side headlight (Won't go down anymore)
Put front bumper back on
fix rust
replace passenger side upper control arm
Figure out why the high beams keep shutting off while on and driving
replace valve covers
hook knock sensors back up

Last edited:

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
You need an upper control arm?
Mine is good, with a good boot, AND brand new oem bushings can go with it... LMK

BuBBaStuBs

Apr 16, 2012
Yutan, ne
Gonna call performance Toyota tomorrow and find out how much they run and also how much a vent tube is to go from the block to the driver side valve cover.

BuBBaStuBs

Apr 16, 2012
Yutan, ne
Alright got bad news... The head gasket is going out on the motor, so this is going to slow the project down alot more... Shit! I'm going to have to get a car running and then tear the engine out of the supra and rebuild it. (the engine keeps smoking real bad and the smoke smells like antifreeze) going to look into seeing what I can do until then.

BuBBaStuBs

Apr 16, 2012
Yutan, ne
Did a compression test on the supra today and found out that the head gasket it still good... got 175-180 compression on all cylinders (at first was having some issues with #2 but found out didn't tighten up the hose all the way). Replaced the valve cover gaskets due to them leaking into the middle of the valve covers. And cleaned them up a little bit with a rag to make them look nice before I reinstalled them.

Tomorrow will be buying new plugs and then will be putting her back together.

(Will add pictures soon)

BuBBaStuBs

Apr 16, 2012
Yutan, ne
Update: I sold my supra and am going to be buying another soon... This time I know what to look for so I will hopefully have no issues with the new one.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Holy shit batman...your from Yutan? Good god my shop is in Yutan...next ur gonna tell me your over 21 and like turning wrenches and drinking beer