My dyno day/autocross weekend (pics/vid)

rcsupra

Supraddict
Sep 19, 2007
Harrisonburg, VA
Well this past weekend was full of testing and getting to know my car. I posted up in the introductions section a while back; I purchased my '88 MK3 Turbo 5 speed on Aug. 31st. The previous owner and I were curious to see what the car would do on the dyno:

img0642bc5.jpg

The car pulled 285 rwhp/313rwtq at 13 pounds. You can see my mods in my sig, I was very pleased with the result and it exceeded our expectations by a good margin. I was a little leary about pushing it that far on stock fuel but the AFR's were safe...right around high 10's to 11 flat at the top end.

That was on Saturday, and on Sunday I headed to my first auto-x. I had spectated and rode along several times so I was eager to jump in the driver's seat. Here's a vid:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/253db954-6ae5-447b-a421-99c10108f3e7.htm

I wasn't smooth with the inputs and I let the rear end get away from me a lot (fun...but slow) but I had a blast. I definitely learned a ton about myself and the car, can't wait for the next one so I can try and improve my skills.

img4259pu4.jpg

img4240ne8.jpg

img4242zw0.jpg

img4243dc6.jpg

Comments appreciated, thanks for looking

Last edited:

TuRbOdReAmZ87

Supramania Regular
Feb 2, 2007
Southern mass
www.cardomain.com
p781598_1.jpg

Okay ever since i joined this forum i've seen ppl using this "FTW" and not once have i asked what it means, because i didnt want to sound like an ideot! But it's bugging me now. What the hell does it mean??? lol

rcsupra

Supraddict
Sep 19, 2007
Harrisonburg, VA
Haha yeah I thought the little domokun/mooninite guy would give me extra powers. Yeah the suspension is bone stock, I definitely need to get some sways, and I'd like dampers/springs as well, still debating what to go with. Thanks for the replies

aznwaterboy

Swap never finished
Feb 5, 2006
Bay Area, California
get some swaybars, either suspension techniques or whiteline. they usually run around 250 for the pair. they'll make a world of difference in handling. i can't wait to do autox with my car, it looks like a shitload of fun. how much was it to run the track? did you need a helmet?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
.........that's just a little bit more than the law would allow..............:biglaugh:

Hard to go wrong with The Dukes of Hazzard theme song. I was wishing Daisy would make a guest appearance, but then I remembered what she looks like now and was thankful she didn't.

Good job getting off the couch and actually trying something new. I know my car would just spin everywhere getting out of those corners. It loves straight lines but it isn't feeling the curves and cones..............:biglaugh:

rcsupra

Supraddict
Sep 19, 2007
Harrisonburg, VA
aznwaterboy said:
get some swaybars, either suspension techniques or whiteline. they usually run around 250 for the pair. they'll make a world of difference in handling. i can't wait to do autox with my car, it looks like a shitload of fun. how much was it to run the track? did you need a helmet?

It was 20 dollars to run with the SCCA with my car club's discount, usually its a few bucks more depending on who you're with and whether or not you pre-register. You do need a helmet, they should have loaner helmets available however. Its a ton of fun, you should definitely try it, I'm hooked.

My ideal setup would be Tokico Illumina's + Eibachs + ST sways. As soon as I have the funds....

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
rcsupra said:
Haha yeah I thought the little domokun/mooninite guy would give me extra powers. Yeah the suspension is bone stock, I definitely need to get some sways, and I'd like dampers/springs as well, still debating what to go with. Thanks for the replies

So which is it? Is it a domo-kun or a mooninite?:biglaugh:

rcsupra

Supraddict
Sep 19, 2007
Harrisonburg, VA
I don't know...I suppose both with their powers combined

Poodles said:
whiteline adjustable swaybars > all

I have stock springs, KYB shocks, and whiteline sways and I love it... only reason I'd get anything else is to lower it...

(the GB is over, be he can still get em, worth every penny)
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39208

I'm sure this is covered in the tech sections somewhere, but as you brought it up I'd like to ask here...what is the concensus on Whiteline vs. Suspension Techniques sways?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
honestly? Whiteline doesn't publish their rates (as they do make race pieces and like to keep it under wraps), but from what I've seen, they're far thicker than anything else on the market...

The softest setting on the new adjustable front is stiffer than the normal whiteline bar I've ben told.

I have nothing but good things to say about them.