my current set V.S .......

bugz66

Nov 10, 2009
oakland
Well i need some opinions on some set up options.
this is my current suspension set up:
H&R springs
koni yellow in back (full stiff)
tokico illuminas in front (full stiff)
ST sway bars (front and rear)
front & rear strut bars
B pillar brace
bridgestone potenza RE050a RFT 255\35\18.
alignment was done except camber was set at - 1.5 to -1.7.
I'm planing on switching my control arm bushing to ES poly.

the car handles great around corners(can keep up with my buddy's eclipse GSX with coilovers).but im out for the big dogs ( EVO and STI) or close to them.
most of my free time i like to go out and grip/drift (to relieve stress\fun).

so im wondering what else should i do to upgrade for best cornering performance?
i was thinking on using Zankoku STEALTH ATTACK Coilovers or Megans.
any idea's ??????

thanks

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Ditch the rear swaybar and go with either one of the coilovers you listed. Either one is better than your current combo.The H&R springs are progressive... linear springs are ideal for best handling on this car. Also, do all of the control arm bushings in poly, and pick up a set of metal subframe spacers and a set of steering rack poly bushings.

The higher spring rate on the new coilovers will reduce the body roll more than the rear swaybar will, and the rear swaybar is only hurting your traction out of corners and reducing your overall grip. If you really want to drift, leave the rear bar though, cause it will help you break traction on the rear.

Also, don't overlower the car with the coilovers or it will bottom out all the time and your car will handle like crap and have snap oversteer accelerating hard out of corners.

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
I would say your number one issue is tires. You need to get a true high performance summer tire such as Kumho XS, Dizzera start spec, etc. As your grip goes up you are going to need that rear bar to keep the body roll down without having to run very stiff springs in the rear. The stiffer rear bar will move some of the load to the rear of the car during cornering, due to the increased roll resistance