My Chump Car 1989 Supra, #32

SiberianDVM

Dec 31, 2013
Augusta, GA
Jan 2014 I bought a ratty 1989 Sportroof 7MGE 5 speed on Ebay, stripped it, put in a cage, seat, harness, rebuilt the suspension and brakes (stock but with EBC Yellow Stuff pads, cut the stock springs, put on RE-11s in 225/50-16, added and oil cooler and 2 qt Accusump, changed the spark plugs, and by Nov 2014 I was ready to go racing, I thought. One buddy and I entered the Double 7 Hour at Atlanta Motorsports Park. Once we got on the track, we found that we had absolutely no grip in the rear end, and not enough power in our old, tired motor to accelerate out of the turns. Still, with beginners luck, we took the checkered flag on both days, finishing 31st of 64 on Saturday and 23rd on Sunday (after attrition). The hook was firmly set and we were all ready to be reeled into "cheap racing".

So, I spent the next 3 months trying to fix the cars problems while my buddy recruited more team-mates. He got us 5 more suckers, er, drivers, and I pulled the engine for a long-block rebuild by a big local builder, replaced the clutch, rebuilt the transmission, replaced the cut springs with H&R race springs, bought some wider rims and 245/45-16 RE-11s for the rear, fixed the broken battery box mount, and got another 30 pounds of un-needed stuff out of the car, mostly in the front.

The engine shop was 3 weeks late getting the motor back, so it was run, rush, hurry to get it put back together in time for Rd Atlanta 14 hour Feb 7 2015, this time with a team of 7, counting me. Finally, all the parts were sort of back on, I pressurized the oil system with Comp Cams break-in oil, the engine fired nicely, and we completed a static break-in for 20 minutes. The next day 3 of the drivers came in to town to help me do the road break-in (car is still mostly street legal). We did about 400 miles at varying speeds and the car seemed to have slightly more power than before, and ran well.

I spent the next week putting the finishing touches on the car, changed the oil to Brad Penn 20W50, and off we went to Rd Atlanta. Friday was registration and test day. We passed tech, were assessed 4 penalty laps for excessive modifications (my springs), and got all set up in our pit. Then we took turns taking the car out for 5-10 lap test sessions. Three of my drivers had never been in this car before, so we had to adjust the seat and belts for them and show them the controls. All are experienced Instructors so all went well, except the car seemed a little down on power and did not want to idle. I adjusted the idle speed up a bit.

Saturday morning was COLD. 22°F at grid start. I was glad I had put a quart of antifreeze in with the coolant water and Water Wetter. Car started fine, idled fine, and we took our place in the hot grid, ready for 3 yellow pace laps, and then the green flag. My most experienced driver was at the wheel.

After 1.5 hours it was time for our 1st pit stop and driver change. No fuel. This went smoothly, except my driver said the car was down on power a bit, and he was being passed by everybody. We are 79th of 94. Next driver went out and said the same thing. Second pit stop we changed drivers again and fueled. Car is now not wanting to idle; I check idle adjust screw and it has backed out, so I screw it back in and add a drop of Locktite. We are 68th of cars still running. Third driver goes out; we are slowly gaining on the field due to attrition, but are way down on speed. We are the 3rd slowest car out there. Our best lap is 2:00:84, while the leaders are averaging 1:45!!!!!

At this point, my goal is simply to get the 6 paying drivers all a stint behind the wheel, so we keep going. I expect the motor to blow any minute. Everytime the safety truck goes out, I expect to see my car being towed back in. I ask the guys if they want to keep going and they all say yes. Finally, all 6 have driven, and it's my turn. Now the car won't idle at all; you have to keep your foot on the accelerator pedal or it shuts off. I stall it 3 times trying to get it out of the pit, then i'm going down pit out as the maniacs are flying down towards T1 at 100+mph and I have to blend in. Uphill to T2, then downhill to T3 and the esses. This thing sounds like a logging truck, but it will still rev to redline......eventually. No power what so ever. :: angry ::

My stint felt like forever. I was constantly watching my mirrors trying to not get in anyones way. The race leaders were still flying. I keep seeing debris all through T7 where somebody effed up. Finally, full course yellows and a BLACK flag!!! For everybody. Oops. We all trundle into the grid and shut down (not hard to do for me). Time for a Come To Jesus meeting as the race director is not happy.

After a good a$$ chewing, the field is allowed to return to the track. We decide to pit for a driver change and a vote: continue or quit? Everybody wants to keep going. My 3 crazy guys who want to drive at night are grinning like idiots. None of us have ever driven on a race track at night before. I have replaced the stock sealed beams with 7200 lumens of best Chinese LEDS and we have another 800 lumens of LED "apex" lights. I have no idea if they are aimed properly because I never got the courage to run it in the dark. Sorry about that.

"Night Train" jumps in, fires it up, and heads off in the darkness. I would literally kill for a cigarette and I haven't smoked in 3 years. None of my drivers have a cigarette, the worthless *********s. I make do with Nicorette. By this time we are up to 54th, still due to attrition. Another 1.5 hours go by and it's time for a driver change and fuel. Car is still crap, but no worse. I check all the spark plug wires and some seem loose on the distributor cap. I put zipties on them but it doesn't help. Steve jumps in and is gone. Two hours to go. We are up to 48th. Somehow, in the dark, "Night Train" ran our fastest lap of the day, almost breaking 2:00, in a car running on 5 cylinders. I can hear the miss now.

With an hour to go, Steve is back in, and John gets in. John is even shorter then I am and we have to use cushions so he can push in the clutch. I don't think he uses the brake. He is our finisher.

Almost 10pm now and the temperature has dropped again. We are all freezing in the pits. Funny, I sweated like a pig when I was in the car. We take turns hauling our spare parts, tools, tires, and gas jugs the 1/4 mile back to my truck. Some Rd Atlanta employee has locked the man gate early, so we have to walk an extra 100 yards, uphill. When I get back, some racer has neatly taken the gate off it's hinges. Never underestimate the power of racers with tools.

The cars are still flying down the front straight. Almost everyone has gone to LED headlights now and it's blinding. The cars go by so fast, that most of us have put on colored LED strip lights just so we can find our car. Note to self, add more.

One lap to go, everyone is allowed to cross pit lane to the fence and cheer the drivers to the checkered flag. I see the #32 go by at full speed. We finish 42nd.

14 hours, 7 drivers, 10 driving stints with 3 at night, no wrecks, no breakdowns, 16 jugs of fuel, no tire changes, no individual black flags, 1 spin (mine), finished in top half of field.

I trailered the car home the next day and cranked it up just to see: it's missing constantly. Had to go back to work, so it will be the weekend before I have time to check it out. Hope it is something simple, as Daytona is in 3 months.

Anybody know a tuner for a 7M-GE in the SouthEast?

Attachments

• DSCN0995.JPG
    DSCN0995.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCN1004.JPG
    DSCN1004.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCN1001.JPG
    DSCN1001.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
Good to hear you're having fun with it! My cousin and his friends bought an Integra and we raced at Watkins Glen, it was a whole lot of fun.

What is the car valued at currently? From the one race I went to (and the few I heard about) its very easy to skirt the rules... and on a side note, throwing a 7MGTE in there with a shimmed oil pump should solve your power issues.

SiberianDVM

Dec 31, 2013
Augusta, GA
Base value of NA MkIII is still 400, which I have appealed, because the SC300 and SC400 are also 400. :( I have added an oil cooler, Accusump, & H&R springs which puts me into 4 penalty laps right now.

I think you are right about the turbo. Al lot of guys are doing V6 & V8 swaps now, and guys running stock motors are getting left way behind. Eventually somebody is gonna get killed from the speed differential and that will be the end of ChumpCar.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Yeah the rating system is a good idea but there's still a few rough edges. 400 is way too much.

Did you try to claim value for the stock oil cooler? Any way you can not claim the springs, did you replace the dampers as well? Value for parts removed will get you a few points back.

I'd suggest ordering a set of custom ground cams to eek more power out of the 3.0 n/a (no one would know), but I don't know if the money spent would be worth the horsepower gained.

How bad are the stock bushings? Ronniek on here makes poly replacements, if you pm'ed him he might be able to make a custom order of hard black poly bushings (typically they're red).

SiberianDVM

Dec 31, 2013
Augusta, GA
Chump Car keeps changing the rules, so; no value back for parts sold now, except when doing engine swaps.

No stock oil cooler on my NA.

The springs worked great, so I hate not using them, but I may try using the old cut fronts with the new H&R rears (the cut fronts don't fall off the perches the way the cut rears did).

I replaced all the bushings with black poly last year, but I get nailed 25 points for them. If I didn't claim them and ever got to impound, some sharp eyed rules lawyer would call me out.

Changed the spark plugs and wires this past weekend: the #3 plug was fouled and was either the source or a result of the miss. Maybe using NGK Standards was not a good idea? Went back to NGK Laser Platinum and the miss is gone and has more power, but I still think it could run smoother. I plan on working my way through the EC and EFI chapters of the Service Manual over the next few weeks.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
NGK coppers will give a great spark but copper plugs need to be replaced more often than any of the other ones. I'd check all your basic sensors and make sure they're in spec: AFM, AIT, coolant temp sensor for the ECU.

Was the car a 7MGE from the factory? If so it should already have the 4.3 rear end ratio. There are other ratios out there that will help you out, and you wouldn't have to claim anything: 4.56, 4.88 and 5.29. If you're middle of the pack this will bump you up quite a few places, just make sure none of the tracks you go to don't have such a long straight you run out of gear.

SiberianDVM

Dec 31, 2013
Augusta, GA
I'm going to go through the as much of the OBD1 codes as I can this weekend. I'm pretty sure the car was a 7MGE from the factory. Would the VIN show a different type number?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You can check the vin tag on the door jamb. It will tell you what diff it came with which will tell you what engine it came with.

I think something like g320 is lsd. been a while tho.

SiberianDVM

Dec 31, 2013
Augusta, GA
The only OBD1 code I got was a 41, for throttle position sensor. I checked the resistance between the terminals with an ohmmeter and the VTA-E2 in the closed position read infinite instead of 0.2-1.2kOhm, so I ordered a new one. Maybe it will smooth out the idle some.

I also ordered a leak down tester, as the discoloration of the #3 spark plug is returning, although slowly. I sure hope I don't have to pull the head right away. :(

wmcoons

Aug 30, 2013
Milwaukee
Great thread! My friends and I have been running an 87 in Lemons and Chump for 3 years, started out with a 7mge and now it's a 7mgte, R154 and still with the 4.3 lsd diff.

Look us up on Facebook and i've got a few video clips on youtube, we're the Supra Troopers.

I'm hoping we can do our first full 24 hour race this year, woohoo!

SiberianDVM

Dec 31, 2013
Augusta, GA
Leak down test was perfect on all cylinders. Also replaced the throttle position sensor, which seemed to smooth out the idle and eliminated the 41 CEL code. So now I'm going to swap out the #3 fuel injector and hope for the best.

SiberianDVM

Dec 31, 2013
Augusta, GA
Thanks for the compliment. :)

Our next race will be the Daytona Roval, May 24. Our 7 man team has temporarily dwindled to 5, but that just means more seat time for the remaining idiots. The weather should be much warmer, so I am paying special attention to the car's and driver's cooling system. Only 1 of our drivers have ever been on Daytona, and there is no test day, so it should be an adventure.

SiberianDVM

Dec 31, 2013
Augusta, GA
3p141592654;2041912 said:
Check that the EGR is not FUBAR.

EGR was deleted before I got it.

Right now the only thing I notice is a very slight/hesitation/roughness from idle to about 1800 if the throttle is opened quickly. If opened slowly, sounds smooth. Above 1800 it ramps up well.

I still think the #3 fuel injector may be sticky. They were a set of remans we put in during the engine rebuild.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
7M is sensitive to vac leaks, even really small ones. A crack in the accordion tube, or small leak at a vac accessory will cause driveability issues at low engine speeds.

SiberianDVM

Dec 31, 2013
Augusta, GA
Accordian tube is between AFM and TB? That was replaced by PO with aluminum pipe and silicone tubing. I've removed it about a thousand times while working on the car, so I've come to know it well, and it's pretty tight. All of the small diameter vacuum tubing has been replaced with silicone.

I'm not worrying too much about low engine speeds anyway, as long as it doesn't start shutting off like it did at Rd Atlanta. It's gonna spend the majority of it's life at WOT.

But I need to sort out the #3 plug fouling. How big a job is it to pull the fuel injectors?