My car has been sitting for over 5 years. Will not start.

89soup

Aug 19, 2006
North Carolina
I have an 89 Supra with a 7M-GTE that I purchased back in 2007. It's probably been sitting for longer than that because i purchased it wrecked and the previous owner was planning on fixing it up. I've never got around to getting it fixed up.

Well now I have the time and the car will no longer start. I am guessing my issues will be with fuel delivery as it turns over forever but will not start. I always got in the car and started it every 3 months or so to make sure it didn't sit too long without running, but the gas in it now is really old.

What are some of the things I may want to try to get it going again? Fuel filter? Are there some other things I may not be aware of that I could do short of pulling the tank because of old fuel?

Thanks in advance!

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
Fuel filter, possibly even a new pump now. Change your oil for sure. Flush your coolant system. You may have to pull the injectors and go get them cleaned and flow tested (recommend it). Also, be prepared to replace gaskets and possibly hoses as well.

89soup

Aug 19, 2006
North Carolina
Okay. I was planning on replacing the injectors with 550s, an new fuel pump, and also flushing the system so these are all things planned so far. Obviously the new HG with studs as well. :)

Anything in the driveline/suspension do you think I should be considering as it has not been driven for so long?

Thank you

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Id say once you get the car up and running, take it for an easy drive around the block, pulling the wheel hard each direction. Itll wiggle all the cob webs loose, and itll let you know what needs to be fixed possibly.

Change trans fluid as well. And go ahead and do diff while your at it.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Unless there was something originally wrong with the suspension/ steering, I don't think you have to worry too much.
The shocks' pistons may be a bit 'stuck', if the car hasn't been bounced in a while.
Open the diagnostic port, and jumper Fp and B+ together, to see if your current pump is indeed working. You should hear it.

89soup

Aug 19, 2006
North Carolina
Okay I'll test the pump.

Most of my previous vehicles were older GMs, so i'm used to a noisy fuel pump and mine didn't seem to making much noise when I tried to start it.

Is removing the fuel filter the best place to drain the old fuel out of the tank or should I even be worried about it?

Maybe a good time to replace bushings?

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
89soup;1841892 said:
Okay I'll test the pump.

Most of my previous vehicles were older GMs, so i'm used to a noisy fuel pump and mine didn't seem to making much noise when I tried to start it.

Is removing the fuel filter the best place to drain the old fuel out of the tank or should I even be worried about it?

THere should be a port on the bottom of the tank, that you can use to drain it out with

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
89soup;1841892 said:
Okay I'll test the pump.

The fuel pump system on the supra isn't like a chevys. When you are cranking the car thats when its feeding fuel, not like a chevy when you turn the key to acc and she starts whining.

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
i bought my 91 which sat for 12yrs and was only started once every year for the first 8 yrs
fuel tank was low so condensation would occur
eventually resulting in what i believe to be a liner inside tank to decay and fall off

towed car home
immediatly removed fuel tank, drain, flushed tank and install walbro 255
fresh gas and cranked engine over(with pump off) for 3 minutes to get oil through the engine
hooked pump up and she fired up immediatly
let run off and on for 1hr
then changed all fluids, belts, plugs, wires etc...
havent had to touch it since

also the supra was 100% stock...

so as others have stated jump diagnostic box for fuel pump
if you hear it wine then stop and drain fuel then add new
see if it will start then start on changing fluids

89soup

Aug 19, 2006
North Carolina
jonahs_supra;1841967 said:
i bought my 91 which sat for 12yrs and was only started once every year for the first 8 yrs
fuel tank was low so condensation would occur
eventually resulting in what i believe to be a liner inside tank to decay and fall off

towed car home
immediatly removed fuel tank, drain, flushed tank and install walbro 255
fresh gas and cranked engine over(with pump off) for 3 minutes to get oil through the engine
hooked pump up and she fired up immediatly
let run off and on for 1hr
then changed all fluids, belts, plugs, wires etc...
havent had to touch it since

also the supra was 100% stock...

so as others have stated jump diagnostic box for fuel pump
if you hear it wine then stop and drain fuel then add new
see if it will start then start on changing fluids

That's a cool story. I'm hoping it won't be too much of a problem. Mine is also completely stock, just had a minor fender bender in the LR and i went ahead an replaced rear 1/4 but it's time to get it road ready.

Figure I might as well completely repaint it.

Anyways, i'll figure the jumpers and see if my fuel pump still whines. If it does, i'll go ahead and drain the tank, replace the filter and see what i've got. Probably just got ahead and get the fuel pump while i'm at it.

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
heads up for ya
if you decide to pull the fuel tank to clean it(i recommend this)
you will probably have some issues removing flexible fuel line that connects fuel filter to hardline on fuel tank
i had a heck of a time trying to get mine off
i found that taking banjo bolt off the fuel filter was easiet(plus your already replacing the filter)

heres a pic of my fuel pump and hanger when i 1st pulled it out of the tank
i took a wire wheel to hanger an drilled a new hole for a nice fresh pump ground

p1841982_1.jpg

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
jonahs_supra;1841982 said:
heads up for ya
if you decide to pull the fuel tank to clean it(i recommend this)
you will probably have some issues removing flexible fuel line that connects fuel filter to hardline on fuel tank
i had a heck of a time trying to get mine off
i found that taking banjo bolt off the fuel filter was easiet(plus your already replacing the filter)

heres a pic of my fuel pump and hanger when i 1st pulled it out of the tank
i took a wire wheel to hanger an drilled a new hole for a nice fresh pump ground

p1841986_1.jpg

holy crap dude!

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Ouch.
When I dropped my tank for the Walbro replacement, it was clean as a whistle.
My hanger still had its yellow zinc finish intact.

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
supraguy@aol;1841992 said:
Ouch.
When I dropped my tank for the Walbro replacement, it was clean as a whistle.
My hanger still had its yellow zinc finish intact.

rub it in why dont ya lol
im buying a another tank and hanger this weekend
due to i still have some issues with the liner peeling inside(suprised the wally screen hasnt plugged up....knock on wood)