My budget build - what can I expect ??

yaitsme

Beach Bum
Mar 2, 2006
Cheatham County, TN
:icon_surp Hey everyone !!

First off - thanks to everyone here ... I trolled this board and others, asked a few really dumb questions, and maybe one or two good ones. I gathered ideas & have learned a lot about my '90 Supra.

At this point, I've been patiently waiting for slow-to-arrive parts for a couple of months ... but ... at last - the parts are all in, and work has begun! While I thought the waiting was the worst, now the anticipation of a completed project is what's killing me!

With any luck (which has certainly been scarce up to now - but hey - I'm an optimist) the ol' girl will be back together and getting dyno-tuned at the end of the week.

So this is what I'm asking of y'all:
1st, the fun question: What's your prediction of what horsepower (and torque?) numbers I'll see on the dyno with my current setup.
2nd, the important question: Do y'all see any weak links, or potential problems with the setup I've chosen.

Here's what my modest budget has gotten me for this, the first stage of my Supra build:
Sound Performance SP61GT H.O. Turbo
w/ S.P. Custom 3" S.S. Recirculated Downpipe
Tial 38mm External Wastegate
Tanabe Super Medallion Hyper Spec Cat-Back
Turbosmart Dual Stage Manual Boost Controller
Horsepower Freaks Intercooler Kit
HKS SSQV Blow-Off Valve
HKS Super MegaFlow Intake
VPC & GCC Combo on Stock Fuel System
C's Short Stroke Shifter
Autometer Cobalt Gauges:
1) Boost Pressure
2) Wideband A/F
3) Fuel Pressure

Originally, I planned to rebuild/freshen-up the motor - but when the budget got clipped - I changed 'plan a' to a simpler internal engine approach: a new oil pump and a Cometic metal head gasket.

My goals for this stage have been:
- Daily Driveable (Pump Gas friendly)
- Set it & Forget it Tuning
- Anywhere between 300-400 hp
- Room for a little more power without replacing any of the 'new' parts

I'm guessing that the power will be sufficient with the current setup, but if I'm wrong, I think a fuel system upgrade will net me a fair amount more power. Next on the to-do list is upholstery, paint, and wheels ... suspension & brake upgrades to come sometime down the road.

SupraDreamPDR

Boost-a-holic!!
Feb 3, 2006
Springfield, OH.
you need to get your head and block machined for that Cometic HG. i would also either get brand new stock headbolts or upgrade to ARP headbolts or studs. you may also want to consider doing basic tune up too, like new spark plugs/wires, change all fluids, etc. good luck.

yaitsme

Beach Bum
Mar 2, 2006
Cheatham County, TN
Finally made it to the dyno today !!

Thanks to those few who took a minute to reply to this post.
To answer a few of those concerns:
ARP Studs - check
Plugs, Wires, Fluids replaced - check
Condition of mating surfaces for that cometic gasket - checked and good (was reworked not too many miles ago, but I didn't believe that salesman's story 'til I ran my own finger across the still razor sharp edges).

And yes ... stock fuel system (for now) ...

dyno_websize.jpg

Yes indeed - 352 horses at the wheels on 15 psi of boost ... and that wasn't really pushing it to the limit ... well - the limit of my comfort zone, maybe ... but you get the idea!

SO there it is - my official f*ck the naysayers !! I'm one happy camper !

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I don't think any one on here was being a naysayer.........I think they were just watching out for your best interest. You really should upgrade your fuel system. It'll only help you in the long run.

Glad to see you reached your target goal. You said anywhere between 300-400. Does that turbosmart mbc hold your boost good? What is your wastegate set at? Just wondering because I'm having a few boosting issues.

Oh, and for the record.......Everyone on here wants you to succede with upgrading your supra to it's fullest potential. However if you say something stupid, or plan on doing something that they think is unsafe, you're definately going to hear about it. You should be thankfull for their brutal honest, I know I am. It may end up saving your pocketbook and your car...........lol

yaitsme

Beach Bum
Mar 2, 2006
Cheatham County, TN
Excuse my naysayers comment - it wasn't aimed at anybody in particular ... just a little stoked, ya know.

I really appreciate the collective knowledge and comeraderie here, flame-age of dumb questions is pretty much a given anywhere. I don't mind asking a dumb question now and then if I learn from it - I'll take the good with the bad!

Yes, upgrading the injectors will be done as soon as the wallet will allow ... and I'll have to do some more research as to what size I want & what the vpc will support.

The air/fuel ratio really looked good throughout the run, but I know it's my weakness right now & that's why I didn't ask for more boost when the guys at the shop looked at me, with one raised eyebrow, saying - more?

The wastegate is setup with an 8lb spring (if I remember right ... damn it's been a while since I ordered it!), but I'm not technical enough (yet) to properly answer the what's it set at question ... that's why I paid some pros to do the work. (Flame on if you must - I know my limits and am working to overcome them ... a little more time & I'll have a better idea wtf I'm talking about.)

I'll have to get some time behind the wheel before I say anything about the turbosmart system ... it's all good now - but I wouldn't expect any less out of a new setup on it's first few pulls. If it means anything: when I asked the shop tech if I'd bought into a gimmick by buying a dual stage mbc, his only comment was - "was it a turbosmart?" ... I replied 'yes' ... he said "you did fine" ... later I noticed the turbosmart logo on the w/g on thier pro-stock honda.

Thanks again for all the help from all the Supramaniacs out there ... couldn't have done it (as easily) without ya!

Last edited:

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
For a fuel system upgrade, larger injectors are probably not all that you "need". You should at least put in a Walbro 255lph pump as well. You can find the kits for those around $100. A different fuel pressure regulator may also be advised as the factory unit will likely not flow enough at the same pressure as an aftermarket unit. There are horror stories of the factory FPR's "exploding".

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I bought some 550 injectors and the lexus afm and the walbro 255 off of ebay. My car ran good with the stock fpr, even though I kept hearing from everyone to replace it. When I had the money I went ahead and bought an aeromotive fpr with the braided lines from hpf.com....I think the whole kit was $300.00.

My air/fuel ratio is good also on my dyno, but I know I'm running rich. It seems like I load up a bit when driving in bumper to bumper or just when I'm shifting alot. It probably has something to do with my bov dumping the air instead of recirculating. I'm not sure on that though.

In my book, there is nothing wrong with paying someone to do something that you're not comfortable doing. I wouldn't have a job if everyone did their own vinyl siding, painting, and or general maintenance. I would rather pay someone to do a job that I feel they are more qualified to do. Hopefully they will call me when they need some construction work done. Now, after saying all that, I do like to work on my car and learn as much as possible. It is easier when you have an entire website devoted to helping you solve problems and even give you step by step instructions.
As for the turbo smart mbc, I think I'm going to go ahead and buy the apexi avcr. I've heard good things about it and I'm tired of prolonging the inevitable. I know I need one, so I may as well order it. I seen them on ebay for 360.00 brand new. If anyone knows something bad about them please let me know.................lol

Sorry for the outrageously long post........................:nuts:

yaitsme

Beach Bum
Mar 2, 2006
Cheatham County, TN
Here we go .... time to make my build a sticky thread -- as an example of what not to do !!

I hate eating my words, but I am willing to when I so richly deserve it! See the results of not machining the head below:

ouch.jpg

ouch2.jpg

ouch3.jpg

... Damn that's ugly !!

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
Dude, crying here. That really sucks... Hopefully no damage beyond the BHG.

I'd really like to see the head gasket when you tear back into it. I wonder if it was something other than a not mirror finish head that caused it.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Now you can't say no one has posted on this for two and a half months. How is the headgasket job coming? Is that all your doing is replacing the hg, or are you rebuilding your motor? Just thought I would bump this so you feel loved.....................:love: