My black 1989 GTE revival

zm_br

spool me
Oct 30, 2005
Naperville, IL
www.cardomain.com
So a little back history on my car.*
I've owned it since late 2004. I drove it daily until 2006 when I bought my scion. I drove both cars while juggling too many other tasks, and I wasn't able to maintain an older car. So it sat at my parents' house.*
Fast forward to now, and I'm going to get this car back to as it was before. And hopefully better.*
I've been reading tech tips on here. As soon as I have it driving and I feel comfortable, I will take it home up north and install parts I've collected and try to upgrade it more. It's nice that I finally have a garage where I live now.*

Waiting for installation for a couple of years:
Maroon fabric front and rear seats to replace the cracked leather seats
Bilstein shocks
B&G springs
Nick's replica bomex 3 hole front lip

No major plans as of yet. I wouldn't mind keeping it mostly stock and just keep it clean. I'd like to have new tint installed, as much of the rust fixed (there isn't much visible, but you know there's more than you think), and fix that hood or replace it.*

I did some cleaning and inspecting today. All of the lights came on after I dropped in a new battery. Change of oil and more inspecting tomorrow.

Now for some pics from today:

p1772543_1.jpg

p1772543_2.jpg

p1772543_3.jpg

p1772543_4.jpg

p1772543_5.jpg

p1772543_6.jpg

p1772543_7.jpg

zm_br

spool me
Oct 30, 2005
Naperville, IL
www.cardomain.com
[video=youtube;g1cyaaNnZbU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1cyaaNnZbU[/video]

It's alive after doing a check of everything!!!

Next obstacle is getting the wheels unfrozen so it can roll. The rims are rusted to the axles. Any suggestions?

zm_br

spool me
Oct 30, 2005
Naperville, IL
www.cardomain.com
Ok so pulling the IC pipes, accordion hose and 3000 pipe shows a fair amount of oil in the piping.
I guess that's proof the seals are bad in the turbo.
Removing these bolts is a pain.
Anybody have good suggestions? The elbow and manifold nuts are rusted on.

zm_br

spool me
Oct 30, 2005
Naperville, IL
www.cardomain.com
Hey turbo, why won't you come out?
p1774614_1.jpg

These 4 nuts on the elbow? Please. That's all that's holding you in still? PB Blast is soaking in...
p1774614_2.jpg

The ones on the manifold already came off and those were a pain to get at.
p1774614_3.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited:

zm_br

spool me
Oct 30, 2005
Naperville, IL
www.cardomain.com
well small update.
Last weekend, a friend came by and we borrowed my neighbor's torch. Heat helped get those last two nuts off.
p1778578_1.jpg

But, I still had the oil feed lines to remove from the engine block, then pry the exhaust side of the turbo away from the turbo elbow.
p1778578_2.jpg

Luckily, I was successful right before the sun went down.
Turbo is out.
p1778578_3.jpg

This weekend, I spent too much time trying to remove the turbine housing from the center. Looks like I'm going to have to pay a visit to a mechanic who can heat it up. I've tried about every technique I've seen online but it's fused pretty good. I guess the shape of the nuts on the elbow were a sure sign how much trouble I'd have taking the turbo apart.
p1778578_4.jpg

p1778578_5.jpg