My '89 resurrection....

Solo1Supra

Dec 3, 2006
Nesquehoning,PA
Alittle background first......
After I sold my 87 Turbo, I swore to myself that one day I would own another mk3. It didn't matter to me if it was turbod or not, hard top or not, auto or 5-speed. As long as it was a mk3.
I "acquired" my 89 from a friend of a friend who got the car at his shop with a blown engine. I swapped title for title for my '97 4runner with a blown engine with 297K miles on it. It was towed to my brother in laws place where it sat for quite some time. I pulled the blown 7MGE and sourced another 7MGE.
Here is is sitting waiting to be towed home.....
p2023259_1.jpg

While is was sitting waiting to have the 7M put back in, I ordered some needed parts. New rotors and pads, stainless steel brake lines, new brake master cylinder, KYB shocks front and rear to be installed later. I also scored a set of used Eibachs. Drove to Virginia for a front bumper cover.
I contacted Tirerack about a set of wheels I saw on their web page. Axis Klassic's 17x8.5's, +30 offset, front and rear. Later I ordered a set of Sumitomo tires.
Set the fast forward to 2 weeks ago. The used 7M goes in. I got it up and running, put the wheels on, got plates, insured and drove it home.
I wasn't happy with the brakes, so I pulled the calipers off and gave them the once over. While I had the front brakes off, both front shocks were leaking, so it was a good time to put in the KYB's and Eibachs. It had the original shocks on it yet, front and rear.
Here it is now sitting in front of the house.....
p2023259_2.jpg

Here is a better shot of the wheels....
p2023259_3.jpg

It still needs some minor things here and there, which I'll take care of, but for now, I'll drive it as is.
It feels great to be driving a mk3 again, plus I saved it from being parted out, and an early grave.

Last edited: