my 7mgtte MKIII project

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
If you shop carefully you can pick an engine up without spending a fortune. I got my engine for $650 plus shipping, and it's been recently rebuilt with turbo (very little shaft play). The downside is that it took a while to find. I've been shopping actively for the last year, and had two engines fall through before I found one.

I highly recommend it. A running car, even with a stock engine, is still good for a ride.

supraman88MKIII

May 21, 2009
Del City
Neodeuccio;1450465 said:
If you shop carefully you can pick an engine up without spending a fortune. I got my engine for $650 plus shipping, and it's been recently rebuilt with turbo (very little shaft play). The downside is that it took a while to find. I've been shopping actively for the last year, and had two engines fall through before I found one.

I highly recommend it. A running car, even with a stock engine, is still good for a ride.

well thanks for the advice. and i miss my running baby even though it never did run 100%. a nissan hardbody with a sliding rear window is no comparison to turbo whine with the targa off:naughty:

supraman88MKIII

May 21, 2009
Del City
:runaway:well i know its been forever since my last post on here but i do have some new info.....

1. decided that i want to drive before i finish the 7mgtte(that and im no jay leno when it comes to money for my cars) so im going to get the internals done and the block prepared to handle the eventual set-up and put back in. the externals will come as money comes and then ill put her 'under the wrench' again for the second proceedure.

2. got the block in the shop last week and put in my order for the rods, pistons, bearings, etc. but thats what tax returns and travel vouchers are for, right?:icon_razz

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
Ok I have a question reguarding this whole idea. I know that it obviously is a better idea to run two identical turbos, BUT, since turbo lag might be a big issue with this setup, what about running a smaller turbo with a bit larger one to basically cover the whole range? I could be dumb for asking that but it just seems like an idea with the way that the exhaust manifold is setup in the pic.

supraman88MKIII

May 21, 2009
Del City
91Supra313;1530847 said:
Ok I have a question reguarding this whole idea. I know that it obviously is a better idea to run two identical turbos, BUT, since turbo lag might be a big issue with this setup, what about running a smaller turbo with a bit larger one to basically cover the whole range? I could be dumb for asking that but it just seems like an idea with the way that the exhaust manifold is setup in the pic.

I'm still rather new to all the technical mumbo-jumbo aspect of it all, so I totally want all to correct me if neccissary. I believe that what you are talking about could be considered running your turbos sequentially. Where as I'm specifically wanting to run them in parallel. And the lag time is all dependant on the size of the turbos. For example, if you wanted to slap on a pair of big ass turbos on there you would have tons of lag because half the exhaust would be used for each one, whereas two, lets say, stock turbos on there would be less lag. Or so my limited knowlege and application of basic physics principles. *shrug*:p

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
Yeah I get what your saying and I understand the whole larger turbos larger lag time. Which is why I wanted to know if you could run a larger one and a smaller one. If that would make a difference at all in the lag time. Or even go as far as to have the smaller one feeding the larger one. Has that even been done yet on a Sup?

supraman88MKIII

May 21, 2009
Del City
So here is an update for all of those that do care and have been following. Work is a b17ch so I haven't gotten much work in. Got motor out and sent it to machine shop about 4 1/2 months ago. Waited on the pistons to arrive. Waited on the rods to arrive. Rods got in yesterday and were dropped off. Got a call later and the Clevite 77 bearings I bought are not compatible with the Crower steel rods. If its not one thing, its something else. Now I need to know what bearings have the tabs in the right location to fit my rods. The bearings fit the stock rods, but not the Crowers....... and on top of that I've got orders to the UK and its on a time table if I want to take the car instead of storing it till I get back. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise thats the 411.

And boy do i want to take her.........one word.....Nürburgring.