My 7MGTE Plan - Feedback Needed!

benk777

Jun 18, 2008
Waukesha, WI
My goal is a reliable 400-450 crank hp. LegendofAces.com is currently rebuilding me a stage 2 7MGTE, which includes MHG. I have a full 3" turbo-back exhaust currently (ebay recirc ddp from 935, test, HKS 75mm twin tip). When Keith swaps my engine in, he is replacing all coolant hoses, and will install my cooleeze IC hardpipes with my Spearco replica IC. To control boost I have the Profec BII. The rest is up in the air.

Turbo: I have not decided between the SP61GT and the Lipp Boss Jr. Costs are nearly identical.
Fuel: I am considering purchasing the fuel package from Suprasport (FPR, 550s, Lex-like AFM, Fuel rail, Walbro, SS Fuel lines).
Tune: Not sure what to do here. SAFC? Maft Pro?

So that's my rough plan, and I'm really looking for feedback on the fuel and tune portions, but of course feedback on everything is appreciated. The tune portion scares me, as I do want this car to be a reliable summer driver, but at the same time I have no knowledge of tuning at all. The fuel package is $1400, so I want to make sure it's worth the cash. If you have any advice, please chime in. Let me know what's good/bad about the plan, how you would do it, what am I missing, etc.

Thanks.

Ben

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Well

Is this car your Daily Driver? if so you might want to reconsider modding it to extensively as when you start increasing the power, parts WILL start to break and being stranded sucks, especially when that is your only ride.

People here will tell you that $1400 is pricey for that "Fuel package". My thought is that it depends on how much you value your time.

Sure you can go out and piece it yourself, build the fuel lines your self etc. But do you want to actually do that or do you mind doing that leg work or perhaps you just want to get the car running?

simpsons7s

Its pronounced Nu-clear..
Oct 9, 2005
Riverside, Ca.
I wouldn't replace your fuel rail or fuel lines for your power goal 400-500hp, The stock rail and lines can handle that just fine, I would go with the lex/550 combo with a walboro pump and you will have plenty of fuel, If you really feel the need to upgrade further, get an Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator. Also you don't have to tune much with this combo, you can use the stock computer and just adjust the screw in the AFM for a "base tune". If you want more control over your engine I would go maftpro with a wideband, but for this or any step past this, I would encourage a lot of reading and search button use, or be ready to pay alot for someone who knows how to adjust it and dyno time. I don't think you need this for your goal though, I would do the lex/ 500, walboro and set your boost to 15-17psi and try not to overmod your build or like figgie said you will quickly run into reliability isues.

Mr. Y

Mar 31, 2005
80 miles away from Kremlin
Stock fuel rail is more than enough for 450rwhp. Moreover, I'd stayed all stock fuel except upgraded pump, FPR, j-tube bypassed and 550cc. In other words, stock fuel system is adequate for that power level (I think).
I was running 61-mm bolt-on with single walbro, stock fuel supply/return and 550cc (duty was more than 90% at redline, so I had at least 400hp I think).

By the way, think about upgraded clutch or tranny (if you're auto).

benk777

Jun 18, 2008
Waukesha, WI
I was able to score a Suprasport Lex AFM body today from another member, so I'll skip the fuel kit and just get the necessary pieces (pump, fpr, 550s). I really should decide on a turbo soon and place an order. I'd like to have everything accumulated by Thanksgiving so that when the rebuild is done, everything will be ready for the swap! I'll just have to hope for some cold, DRY, December days....before all the roads get salted up, and the Supra goes back to it's garage spot.

Ben

Oh yeah, since I'll have an extra core after the swap, what should I do with it? Anyone in SE Wisconsin need one?