My 2JZ swap Update

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
You're doing things the right way... having a PLAN is the most important part. I made hasty choices and it ended up costing more (time, resources, aggravation, etc).... however, it was mostly 'cause I wanted to be unique. So, I figured being the only MKIII with a 2J VVTi would be kewl... it is, but it was a long hard road. Good luck and don't get yourself frustrated by anyone else.

I am right along with you.... I could've bought a TT MKIV a loooooong time ago, but I love my MKIII. Now the GF has her NA MKIV, so I get to play with both.

Johnny Dangerously

I can eat planets
Apr 4, 2005
Corpus Christi, TX..
Satan said:
You're doing things the right way... having a PLAN is the most important part. I made hasty choices and it ended up costing more (time, resources, aggravation, etc).... however, it was mostly 'cause I wanted to be unique. So, I figured being the only MKIII with a 2J VVTi would be kewl... it is, but it was a long hard road. Good luck and don't get yourself frustrated by anyone else.

I am right along with you.... I could've bought a TT MKIV a loooooong time ago, but I love my MKIII. Now the GF has her NA MKIV, so I get to play with both.

not to mention your gf is hot, satan! :D

Bahraini_Zupra

Apr 4, 2005
Bahrain
www.freewebs.com
hey guys sup ,

man u got the same things that i got except the interior but i got the 1jz 7k TACH :D
i got my 2jzgte auto from aristo also very low mileage with everything ecu and harness but i replaced my ecu and harness with us spec ones also 6pd us spec ecu :)
also i got my oil pan from 1jz that would fits my car but what i am missing now is 1jz trans i found few but need money go buy it lol ! also i am searching for 550cc and US spec turbos and the US SPEC resistor pack plus i got the maf ;)

good luck
ali

1jzMoe

Supramania Contributor
Apr 2, 2005
Vilseck, Germany, Germany
hey question on that the vvti- would you recommend getting the vvti or not on the engine? and why? whats the difference? and would it be better to have a modified 2jz with or w/o the vvti

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Johnny Dangerously said:
not to mention your gf is hot, satan! :D

heeeellll yeah!! :p She's so very kewl too! She's been trying to get into these forums all mornin'... so the compliment will be nice for her to see. She'd unintentionally lost alot of weight, before the last meet and some of her ASSets had shrunk some (wish I had that problem). So, she's been a bit self-conscious... Still a hottie tho :D

Back on topic....

As far as VVTi....

My ONLY issue with this setup is the availability of wiring giagrams and the ability to pull codes (does not have E1 and Te1 in diag block). The Aristos also came with an immobilizer. You need the front clip... ignition key, etc. Otherwise the stock VVTi ECU is worthless. You will never get it to run with it. The Supras came with an optional immobilizer and it doesn't seem to be too common, but I wouldn't know too much about that.

I think Ken's got the newer Aristo (JZS161) diagrams now, but not translated. So, you may probably have no issues there. Give him a call and see tho (tolbertautomotive.com). Cost me close to $300 to have the very small portion of the JDM Supra one translated.

The plus side is that these 2JZs are much cheaper than the other non-VVTis and they use a MAS/MAF. Supposedly they are hard to tune, etc. However, that really depends on your goals and $$$$. I don't plan to go over 400RWHP as it's going to be my daily driver. Also, VVTi should be a bit better on gas mileage and/or be a little more efficient at burning fuel at low, moderate, and WOT...

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
lol hey drunk i think i found my donor. $4000 for a MKIV 1994 its T, and has getrag 6 speed in it, it was stolen and is in a junk yard, insurance company still has title to it. im going to see if they will take 2500 for it, its been in their listings for like 2 years now, they have dropped the price from 8K to 4k sence then. its 363 miles from my house too. woot. im freak happy.
hey when your out of dept, u going to be getting a aristo correct?
sad thing is i cant find a MKIII that is near me for cheap, (200-350) like blow engine, or no engine. i dont want an auto tho.
well let the phone calls begin. :)

-Mario

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
lenny said:
Do you know if you need different brackets if its from an Arristo?

The 1JZ engine mounting brackets for a JZA70 Supra are what you will need to use in order to mount the 2JZ engine into an A70 Supra. If you are '86.5-1989, I would recommend BIC 1JZ mounts.

I am currently on vacation. I was in Wyoming for about 2 weeks - I am now, and will be, in Arizona for another week and a half. When I come home, I'll see what I can do about at least getting the short shifter completed, and getting the 2JZ wire harness extended.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Hey, that's a great offer - Thanks. Unfortunately, I've already passed through Denver and I have to say that it's a very nice area out there. Denver/Ft. Collins seem like high places on the "want to move" list.

1989MKIII

Jun 28, 2005
Troy, Missouri
www.elite-forums.com
i just shutter at the tought of a 2jz motor pushing around 900-1100 HP in a MK3 would be like, i have been in a MK4 with 1153 and it was like a damn f14 jet takeing off (or what i could imagin it being like) it pulled like nothing else. man, when you get this thing done and everything. i wanta see dyno papers. BTW. sorry if i missed it in here, but what RWHP goal you got? let me know. i am getting ready for the 1jz swap to begin (dont have funds for 2jz) and i wanta do 400-550...

thanks
will be lookin forward to seeing this done

justin

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Hopefully around the middle of next month I will have a nice chunk of change - enough to buy motor mounts and a radiator or bellhousing? Maybe. The question is: do I perform the swap on my '91T, OR should I buy an 87-89 with a thrashed motor for cheap to perform the swap on? This would certainly put some ease on the motor mount waiting times - fast for pre 89 engine mounting brackets from BIC, or it might take time for OEM Toyota 1JZ engine mounting brackets from elsewhere for my '91. Hrmmm..

Just so you know.. if I do get a pre '89 for the swap, it's keeping the front end, and getting an '89+ rear end and 3-piece wing.. however, I don't know if I want a hardtop to partially gut for weight savings, or if I want a full weight targa..