My 1JZ Thread - trials and Tribulations

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
well today i went to take off the turbo's so i could inspect them and install my y-pipe. :3d_frown: There is Shaft play all over the place. Bad enought that i can see when the Impeller touches the Housing. Plus the surfaces on the Y-Pipe are not flat:(

Well i guess it's time to find more cash for this project and get some turbos rebuilt.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I will be taking mine off this weekend Josh. I'm probably going to sell them and go single, so I may be trying to sell them to you if you want them. Idon't know what their worth, but there's no shaft play in the front turbo. Just a thought................lol

I've got a brand new ypipe and downpipe also. Never been installed.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
bobiseverywhere said:
well today i went to take off the turbo's so i could inspect them and install my y-pipe. :3d_frown: There is Shaft play all over the place. Bad enought that i can see when the Impeller touches the Housing. Plus the surfaces on the Y-Pipe are not flat:(

Well i guess it's time to find more cash for this project and get some turbos rebuilt.

hey feel lucky... it's better you find out now than after you put the engine in.

imagine how I felt when I changed out my first 1J and found the second one had bad turbos! MAD AS HELL!!!

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
Well SH i just might be buying them from you if the price is right. Seems like Doing a Rebuild on both of them could be pricey. I think for close to the same price i could just buy another brand new turbo and headers. Just not the DP

I want to keep the stock twins for now. I'm not looking to make all my power out of the gate. I find it fun to build these things up slowly.

Whats your Y-Pipe and DP Like? I am curious don't think i'll buy it though.

let me know about the Turbos

Onejoezee I guess i should feel Lucky.

Just to check around though. Besides MDC where else can i go to have these rebuilt, to get rip of that nasty shaftplay.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
My Ypipe and DP are stainless steel I think. Their real blingy, and theit brand new. I paid $250.00 for them and that's what I'll take for them now.

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
I just got the HKS DB Meter RS Gauge with the I/F unit

They want you to have one line going to a constant 12V and one to the Ignition? and another to Ilumination.

They don't really say what they mean by the last one. Does nayone have an idea?

Also i am curious where people hook in for there constant 12V.

And the Ignition. I am not that great at figuring out wiring. Are they talking about the Wire from the Key where you also hook up your turbo timer?

Any help with this would be great.

I am not the most proficent with wiring

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
heres a shot for now.

and i think Suprahero is catching up with me pretty fast LOL

p422609_1.jpg

kuongie

kung pao
Aug 8, 2006
jacksonville
you can find 12 volt constant and ignition at the ignition harness itself. (in the steering column)

constant 12v- white or white w/red stripe (or just run a completely new line straight to the battery with a fuse)

ignition - black w/yellow stripe

illumination would probably have to be wired into your parking lights, it may be what illuminates your gauge when you turn your lights on. i have no experience with wiring up gauges but i have experience in mobile electronics and its all pretty much the same. there should be a green wire in your dr. side kick panel, that would be your + switch and pink would be - switch.

the build looks like its going great, keep up the good work!

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I'm nowhere near catching up to you Josh. I have my 1jz out of the car, but I'm going to replace every gasket. I'm trying to have all of my aluminum pieces polished, or at least cleaned up by sandblasting. I'm also going to go with a single turbo if I can get Robert to answer my pm and let me know when he'd be able to do it. It will take me most of the winter to get it done right. I just bought a engine stand tonight so I will be able to get it off of the engine puller. I'm also going with some 272 cams. I will start a build thread one day, but I didn't want to start it and not have anything to post about. It's going relatively slow. I did send my wiring harness to Aaron so he can bail me out with the harness wiring. Good luck with yours........lol

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
:) wow you are doing allot.

I want to replace allot of my seals but with out pulling the hole engine apart. Maybe i'll do that another time LOL

I was planning on cleaning all the piping by sand blasting too, Just running out of time to do it now. So it's goning to probably be in the summer some time. Maybe during the winter.

Jay your 1JZ is going to Kick ass

272's and a New turbo mmmm i can just taste the rubber burning in the air now :)

i would venture a guess that your going to change the Inter cooler. I want to do a Water to air system like what IJ did with the PWR stuff. The number he got off that system were amazing.

Are you sticking with the stock Injectors for now or bumping those up as well.

I know you can get the HKS V-Pro Stand alone Plug and Play with Maps already from RCTS for the 1JZ. I have no idea of what the price tag is though

i think i will be happy for now with the stockers and an exhaust. when i havethe bugget to do more i will for sure

thier are some other things i think i will address before that though like bigger brakes, coil-overs, sway bars, some non-torn seats LOL. Maybe a TRD Clutch pack for the Diffy. Last but not least some fat rubbers for all four corners as my 235's ain't going to cut it.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
bobiseverywhere said:
:) wow you are doing allot.

I want to replace allot of my seals but with out pulling the hole engine apart. Maybe i'll do that another time LOL

I was planning on cleaning all the piping by sand blasting too, Just running out of time to do it now. So it's goning to probably be in the summer some time. Maybe during the winter.

Jay your 1JZ is going to Kick ass

272's and a New turbo mmmm i can just taste the rubber burning in the air now :)

i would venture a guess that your going to change the Inter cooler. I want to do a Water to air system like what IJ did with the PWR stuff. The number he got off that system were amazing.

Are you sticking with the stock Injectors for now or bumping those up as well.

I know you can get the HKS V-Pro Stand alone Plug and Play with Maps already from RCTS for the 1JZ. I have no idea of what the price tag is though

i think i will be happy for now with the stockers and an exhaust. when i havethe bugget to do more i will for sure

thier are some other things i think i will address before that though like bigger brakes, coil-overs, sway bars, some non-torn seats LOL. Maybe a TRD Clutch pack for the Diffy. Last but not least some fat rubbers for all four corners as my 235's ain't going to cut it.

I have the wiring diagram drawn up for the Stinger standalone harness p-n-p to the 1jz engine harness. Just need to do the wiring.

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
that one question that has been lurking in the back of my mind. I see alot of guys taking these motors and dropping them in w/o any preventative maintenance. Is that wise considering we dont know for sure the mileage, some of the time, and more importantly how bad these motors were abused. When I do install mine in my 87, then im at the very least opening up the oil pan and looking at the bottom end for any problems. Im sure everyone wants to keep the cost of this swap down as much as possible and im sure that has something to do with it.Good job on this swap Bob. Im definitely watching this thread. And Aaron, your stinger upgrade is why I havent jumped on your Maft-pro for sale. Its a hell of a deal but im thinking that stinger set up will be more valuable in the long run. I have a feeling that is what you will be replacing that maft with?:naughty: