My 1991 Jay Blue Supra

sogi99

Jan 2, 2008
Elk Grove, CA
take lots of picture of the wiring so you don't miss anything we have a picture here how the cps is aligned. If you can get a gasket set it would be better since the engine is out replace all of it and the oil pump seal crank seal cam seals and rear main seal while your at it. Check all your vacuum hoses to ensure no leaks. also valve cover gasket and upgrade the bolts if it came with the stock ones. Technically you can do this in two days.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Bluechulappa;1170210 said:
It also may be a good idea to label everything you take off and put into baggies. Also label the wiring if you don't know what everything is...

Baggies and a black marker FTW. I did that when I converted the 86.5 to turbo. No need to lable the wiring. The harness is coming out with the engine and when I put it back together it'll be obvious where everything goes. When I put the gte together before installing it in the 86.5, putting the wiring harness on and plugging everything in was the easiest part of the whole thing. Everything just fell into place.

sogi99;1170224 said:
take lots of picture of the wiring so you don't miss anything we have a picture here how the cps is aligned. If you can get a gasket set it would be better since the engine is out replace all of it and the oil pump seal crank seal cam seals and rear main seal while your at it. Check all your vacuum hoses to ensure no leaks. also valve cover gasket and upgrade the bolts if it came with the stock ones. Technically you can do this in two days.

You haven't read everything have you?;) I've already got the gasket kit and seals from Toyota.
I'm going to have the head resurfaced so as much as I'd like it to be two days, it ain't going to happen.
The engine will come out and go in complete so all the hoses and such will be looked at.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I used to label my wiring harness, until I realized that almost everything on it will only fit in one place. I think there is one plug on the intake side that matches the knock sensors or VSV's. Other than that, maybe mark the injectors to be sure which is which.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Sounds like this 7m will run forever once you get everything replaced and back in the car. That's the only way a Jayblue supra should be treated..........:biglaugh:

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Well it has begun! I started tearing down car today getting it ready to pull the engine. Let me preface this by saying I'm in somewhat of a foul mood after the fucking mess I found today.

God only know how long it's been leaking powersteering fluid and oil. It is everywhere and I do mean everywhere. Not one part of the undercarriage is dry.

I took the accordian hose and upper piping off only to be disgusted by the amount of oil I found in both. The turbo inlet was soaking wet with oil. The turbo has a little shaft play but no more than the one on my 86.5 had. WTF is going on there???

Then I was horrified to find a catalytic converter on my downpipe! I thought only California cars had that. This car was bought in Texas. You won't believe how incredibly pissed I am about this because just a couple of months ago I threw away a stock downpipe from my 87 that had no cat on it. When I tossed it I knew I'd regret it later.

Tomorrow I'll get back out there and disconnect the ps and a/c, grounds, tranny mount, and ecu. Then it should be ready to pull. I crawled under with an impact and got the motor mounts loosened already.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
gtsfirefighter;1170853 said:
Well it has begun! I started tearing down car today getting it ready to pull the engine. Let me preface this by saying I'm in somewhat of a foul mood after the fucking mess I found today.

God only know how long it's been leaking powersteering fluid and oil. It is everywhere and I do mean everywhere. Not one part of the undercarriage is dry.

I took the accordian hose and upper piping off only to be disgusted by the amount of oil I found in both. The turbo inlet was soaking wet with oil. The turbo has a little shaft play but no more than the one on my 86.5 had. WTF is going on there???

Then I was horrified to find a catalytic converter on my downpipe! I thought only California cars had that. This car was bought in Texas. You won't believe how incredibly pissed I am about this because just a couple of months ago I threw away a stock downpipe from my 87 that had no cat on it. When I tossed it I knew I'd regret it later.

Tomorrow I'll get back out there and disconnect the ps and a/c, grounds, tranny mount, and ecu. Then it should be ready to pull. I crawled under with an impact and got the motor mounts loosened already.

This sounds like the underside of my car. It was a terrible mess. It is my impression that all stock Supras have 2 cats.

buckshotglass;1170860 said:
Oil keeps the rust away.;)

This sounds like a typical Yankee response

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
My 87 turbo had only one cat. Here's a pic of the stock downpipe next to the one I put on the 86.5

p1170945_1.jpg

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Not stock ;)

All Turbo MKIII's came with 2 cats here.

Power steering leak is common, more than likely it's the pressure line. It's a MILLION times easier to replace while the engine is out as well...

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Poodles;1170968 said:
Not stock ;)

All Turbo MKIII's came with 2 cats here.

Power steering leak is common, more than likely it's the pressure line. It's a MILLION times easier to replace while the engine is out as well...

Well it doesn't matter since I threw the damn thing away! :rant2:

Just ordered a new SS pressure line from Driftmotion:icon_bigg! I won't worry about that until the engine is out.

My neighbor has a high pressure washer. I'm thinking I'll saturate the bay with a degreaser and then blast all that shit off...carefully.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I'm not quite "sold" on the DM SS power steering line, though I have lots of DM stuff on my car.

I have an OEM replacement line as it lasted for nearly 20 years the first time, and the SS hose is on the ragged edge of it's rated pressure compacity...

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Poodles;1171015 said:
I'm not quite "sold" on the DM SS power steering line, though I have lots of DM stuff on my car.

I have an OEM replacement line as it lasted for nearly 20 years the first time, and the SS hose is on the ragged edge of it's rated pressure compacity...

I priced a new OEM line through Champion. Pftt, no way. I couldn't believe how much it cost. I saved almost $200 if I remember correctly, getting DM one.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I bought both of mine from Oreilly's :D

Looked the same as stock and the only reason I had to replace it is because I ruined it pulling the engine because I used and impact on the bango bolt and I twisted and snapped the line...

Up to you, but I'd look around for the thread on it...

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Poodles;1171109 said:
Up to you, but I'd look around for the thread on it...

It's already paid for and on it's way.

Today I managed to get everything disconnected so the engine is ready to pull. I just need to remove the hood and hook up the chain.

p1171571_1.jpg

I will tell you that this is the last time I'm pulling an engine. Screw this! After being under the car yesterday and today, I can barely move my neck.

One thing that does suck about having an original, unmolested Supra is that I'm the first person to be breaking a lot of these bolts loose. And there is soooo many!

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
LilMissMkIII;1171582 said:
You don't waste any time, do you????

Don't have a lot of time to waste. We're not living in this house anymore and it's on the market, but all my tools and car stuff are still there. Who wants to view a house with a broken down car laid out all over the place? Not to mention all the damn oil, ps, and tranny fluid all over the driveway. It's an environmental disaster under the car!
Thankfully both neighbors are well armed and look after the place when we are not there.

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
What's that sticker on the front timing cover? And don't forget to unbolt the A/C compressor from the block if you want to keep the system closed and still working. It should stay in the bay, power steering pump is easier to unbolt the lines and have it stay on the engine.