My 1991 Jay Blue Supra

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
Damn nice blue Soup there. I hope you are rewarded for all the hard work with countless trouble free Supra motoring miles! It makes it all worthwhile boosting down the freeway with it purring away. Good luck with the last of the install. Kudos for your persistence, man!

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
www.houstonareasupras.com
No worries we all have bad days. Just take a break and come back to it. I'm affraid I will soon have some real bad days in my teardown/rebuild. I've already started, tomorrow I'm going to try and break the crank pulley bolt lose and remove my DDP. I'm looking at the weekend for the engine pull.

Ken what engine stand do you have? I dunno where to get one, gonna try an auto store and order one cause I doubt they have it in stock. Will a $60 engine stand do? Trying to save money where I can but don't wanna cut corners and have a disaster so I will do it right with the right advice.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
gtsfirefighter;1187546 said:
The motor is back in the car but not right. It's being a bitch! Not happy and in a shitty mood. Will try to get the motor mounts lined up right tomorrow.

My step daddy used to always tell me "Don't force it, get a bigger hammer!"

Now, I don't know what good that will do you, but I always like to pass on useful advice......:biglaugh:

Good luck Ken.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
suprahero;1185463 said:
Looks like you had a great time and I love Enter Sandman. I have it on my mixed CD that my brother made for me. Scott's heard it before.

Very good CD

gtsfirefighter;1187546 said:
The motor is back in the car but not right. It's being a bitch! Not happy and in a shitty mood. Will try to get the motor mounts lined up right tomorrow.

Oh how I vividly remember exactly this night during my build.

LilMissMkIII;1187562 said:
Come back to it with a clear mind tomorrow, I'm sure it will work out :)

This, and...

Poodles;1187823 said:
They should just slot in...manhandle the bitch until it slips in :D

...This! These two things combined is what cured my problems. Get it as close as you can to being in place. Then, drop the motor until it is resting enough for the chain to break tension. Now lift it to a point to where you can just barely move it. Then manhandle one side in, and get the nut started on the bottom of it, leaving as much slack as you can. Then lift the motor as much as you can without pulling the nut through. Then, you should be able to swing the other one into place, using the one side as a pivot. I think I was able to get it into place in short time the next day, after the frustration got a good night's sleep.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
I start the day early with this.

p1188605_1.jpg

The motor mount issue resolved very early on. Turns out I still had a small floor jack under it and when I released it, everything fell into place...and the driveshaft popped out of the back of the transmission. Which leads to this.

p1188605_2.jpg

Spending the next few hours under the car. And yall know how much I love being under the car. I rank it right up there with vomiting Mexican food.
I had to drop the entire exhaust to get the carrier bearing down low enough to be able to push the shaft back into the transmission. It sucks I didn't have enough money to get a new shaft or at least a new bearing. Mine is worn out BAD.

So I get everything under the car, front and back, taken care of and start working on connecting everything else.

p1188605_3.jpg

I did not have a chance to get it all cleaned up under there like I had hoped. I'll get the engine bay detailed later on.
I'm fearful of boost leaks. The coupler between the throttle body and 3000 pipe has a crack. Aaaand I discovered a crack in the top of the hotpipe today too.

Everything is connected and fluids ready to be put in. So off to O'Reilleys and $55.00 worth of antifreeze, oil, and transmission fluid later I'm ready to crank.

It started. It ran, but not good at all. I firmly believe the CPS is off a tooth. I had to turn it all the way down to get it to run. The power steering screamed at me until all the air got out of the line. It was nice to hear it run, even if it was poorly.

Ok, it was getting late and had to leave it alone in the dark....again. I have to work tomorrow, and then of course the next day is Thanksgiving, so maybe Friday I can try to correct the cps issue.

nite nite sweetie.

p1188605_4.jpg

Video of cranking it up. Yep, it's dark.

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/gtsfirefighter/?action=view&current=IM000057.flv

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yay!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, and some of these too: :boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies:

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Yeah Boobies!!!

Oh BTW Scott. You bolts were a blessing and guess what. I found all but two of mine! The water had huddled them up right beside the front tire and I didn't find them until I had the tranny mount back up.

Also to everybody else. If you've got an old accordian pipe, get a new one! They are cheap and VERY flexible.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Ken, if you need some of the stock intercooler piping, I think I have all of my old stuff still. I can look and if I have it, it's yours. Let me know.
Good job on getting it running.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Poodles;1188694 said:
Even with a new accordian pipe, changing the stock air filter is a BITCH...

Luckily, the one in it appears to be brand new. It was very clean and white.

suprahero;1188711 said:
Ken, if you need some of the stock intercooler piping, I think I have all of my old stuff still. I can look and if I have it, it's yours. Let me know.
Good job on getting it running.

I might hit you up on that. If I can get some extra cash, I may just go ahead and buy another speedsource one piece hot pipe like I had on my 86.5.

What really pisses me off is before I knew I was going to have to tear into this one, I threw a bunch of stuff away. Good condition stock piping being some of it, along with a pre cat-less downpipe. Nothing I can do about it now.

Who

Supramania Contributor
gtsfirefighter;1183897 said:
There's a bunch of crap in the background!:3d_frown:

That fan is from my 86.5 na. I'm going to use the clutch from it, which is good, to replace the clutch on my 91, which is bad. But yes, turbos came with a 10 blade fan.

GTS - Check out post #9 (IJ's post) concerning using a GE fan clutch with a 10 blade GTE fan. If I'm reading the above correctly you are planing on using the GE or na clutch with the GTE fan. If I'm confused just kick me in the :kickinthenuts: and I will leave you alone.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84287

Last edited:

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
whowouldfigga;1190273 said:
GTS - Check out post #9 (IJ's post) concerning using a GE fan clutch with a 10 blade GTE fan. If I'm reading the above correctly you are planing on using the GE or na clutch with the GTE fan. If I'm confused just kick me in the :kickinthenuts: and I will leave you alone.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84287

No you're not confused. I did put a GE fan clutch on my car using my 10 blade fan. My GTE clutch offered ZERO resistance and the GE one was very very firm. I had wondered if there was any differences in the tension between GE and GTE. I will run this one through the winter, which should be fine and most likely get a new GTE clutch before summer. Of course this all depends on how well the car runs. I'm about to go out to the other house and try and fix the timing issue.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Today I drove out to the house to work on the car again. Last time I was out there I was able to get it started but the timing was way off. Well today I removed the cps...several times...and re stabbed it and everytime it ran like crap. I called Scott and consulted with him. I then went over to my neighbors to borrow his computer to research. After that I went and stabbed the cps in....again. This time when it started the engine tapped really bad and ran like shit. I revved it one time, and the tapping stopped. As soon as it did the car smoothed out and ran perfect.
I don't know what the hell I did but it was purring like a kitten.
It had a little bit of a steamy exhaust and I was concerned. I then took it for a test drive and discovered one hell of a boost leak. The upper hot pipe is the culprit. I later found a large piece of it on the driveway.

Everything checked out good and then I removed the oil cap.

p1190665_1.jpg

I just about threw up and almost set the car on fire. But after wiping it clean and realizing it was most likely all the assembly lube in the head, I felt better. It did not reappear. No overheating or boiling over.

Since it has the boost leak I left it at the other house again until I can get a hose or hardpipe...um Jay?

Here's some video of today.

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/gtsfirefighter/?action=view&current=1128081549-00.flv

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Glad to see you have it running good Ken. Did you put a timing light on it? Where is the bolt in your CPS? I'll get around to putting my timing cover back on sometime this weekend myself. Great job on getting this all taken care of so quickly.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
ForcedTorque;1190823 said:
Glad to see you have it running good Ken. Did you put a timing light on it? Where is the bolt in your CPS? I'll get around to putting my timing cover back on sometime this weekend myself. Great job on getting this all taken care of so quickly.

No I didn't. I don't have a timing light. It idles right at 650 rpms smooth as silk.

The bolt is right in the middle of the slot. Since the video I did put the cps cover on (of course) and put the timing cover back on.

I still can't help but be scared. I'm never confident in my own work. I'll have to get a better hotpipe before I can really drive it.

Last edited:

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
which pipe to you need ken? i know of a 91 turbo at a junkyard with the stock piping still on it in mansfield. if you can let me know b4 4pm tomorrow, i can go pick it up for you