MX-83 Cressida questions. 7M-GTE swap?

cmdeshon

Jan 14, 2011
NC
hey guys. not really sure where to post this but i figure its pretty darn close to a mk-III so il drop it in here.

i am going to look at an 89 cressida later today that has a BHG. i happen to have an extra 7M-GTE in my garage. how hard is the swap? not trying to do a big crazy build, just want to get it in there. i plain on leaving it automatic. is there much difference between the mx-83's Auto trans and the one that comes in the Turbo mk-III? i assume it will bolt right up but i did not know if there was an electronics difference?

i will need to source a 7m-gte auto wiring harness. will any of this harness plug in under the dash or am i going to have to wire up the whole thing myself?

i am very familiar with 7m's (just swapped one into my 83 P-type) and i also have had a cressida before but it was an mx-73. i dont have much experience with the MX-83. i am under the impression that it is very similar to the mk-III platform. Is a MK-III LSD diff a direct bolt on? i have one i saved from a partout when i boosted my mk-II.

should i expect any big headaches if i decide to go GTE? seams like it should be much easier to do it to an MX-83 then it was to swap into my supra.

biggest concern is the wiring, in terms of getting it built and stuffed in there il be fine.

if it is more trouble than its worth i might also consider doing an RRFPR turbo kit on the GE motor. wouldn't be too much trouble to drill the oil feed/return lines as il have to pull the engine to rebuild it anyways.

Suggestions?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Into an 89, I'm not certain of the specifics, but it should be a pretty straight forward swap. :)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The A340E with the 7MGTE engine has an extra friction and steel in the clutch pack, and a larger piston to apply. So it does hold more. I don't think it would be too hard.

cmdeshon

Jan 14, 2011
NC
i dont plain on making it a rocket ship. probably only going to run like 9psi if i can get it boosted. so i think the stock trans will probably be fine.

What i really want to know about is how hard it would be to adapt a GTE harness. i would rather do a legit GTE instead of an NA-T but i dont know what i would have to do for the under-dash wiring. Also, the coil/igniter and the little resister box doohicky are on the other side of the engine bay from where i am used too. (passenger side, by the air box)

Can anybody confirm my question about the mk-III LSD?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
cmdeshon;1858946 said:
Can anybody confirm my question about the mk-III LSD?
Check under the hood of the Cressida, it should tell you an axle code... that will be good info in determining whether or not they'll swap easily enough. ;)

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
te72;1858998 said:
Check under the hood of the Cressida, it should tell you an axle code... that will be good info in determining whether or not they'll swap easily enough. ;)
This is a very good idea. I'm 80% certain that the diff will be painless because of the drivetrain, but you should absolutely check.

I'm not sure if the ID badge is on the firewall or in the driver side door sill. In 89, Toyota moved the plate there on the Supra, not sure if it stayed on other cars.