Mustang Tps wired to supra harness

Whasian

CEO of HAS
Jun 12, 2007
Houston
www.myspace.com
I have a 65mm throttle body that I wanna use on my car. The only problem that I have is that the tps on the throttle body is a three wire plug from a mustang. I was wondering if anyone has been able to covert the factory 7m harness to fit that tps with the engine going into default mode becuase there is not signal to tell the ecu when the throttle is closed. Anyone have any ideas?

Whasian

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Supra Wire Colors / Ford TPS Wires (assuming you have the harness connector for the Ford TPS)

Blue/Red Stripe / Red (Vcc...5 volt power)

White/Red Stripe / Green (VTA...throttle position)

Brown / Black (E2...Ground)

The problem you will have is the IDL signal will be at zero volts and as a result, the ECU will see the TB plate as closed. At speeds above idle, the TCCS cuts fuel supply to the engine causing the engine to" hunt".

Most folks using a Ford TB have a standalone like the AEM and can work around this easily.

Whasian

CEO of HAS
Jun 12, 2007
Houston
www.myspace.com
Yea, I don't have the luxury to go standalone at the monent. Is there any way that I can fool the ecu into thinking that there is 12 volts to the throttle body when I open it? I am assuming to though that the throttle is either open or closed to the ecu, meaning it will measure 0 volts or 12 volts...Is this a valid assumtion?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
IDL is an on/off switch, however it supplies a 5 volt signal to the ECU. If you do rig a microswitch, it will have to be tapped off Vcc (5 volts...Blue/Red Stripe on Supra harness...Red on the Ford harness) and switched to the yellow/blue stripe wire that sends IDL to the ECU. The switch would need to be open when the TB is closed, switch closed when the TB is open.

Might be a bit tricky to to adjust in order to prevent a code 51.

Edit: This is incorrect...you need to switch ground (E2) vc 5 volt power (Vcc)...read below.

Whasian

CEO of HAS
Jun 12, 2007
Houston
www.myspace.com
That is what I was just thinking, can't I position a 5 volt switch off the gas pedal (same fasion as a brake light switch) to tell the ecu that i have opened the throttle and to allow my fuel to increase...

Whasian

*Can you explain more about tapping into the ford tps with my harness. Becuase the ford tps only had three wire feeding the signals and the supra tps has four. I read your wiring spec and understand, but how would I add a line to the for tps

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Gas petals have play in the cable...that would not be the best choice IMO. You need a switch that closes when pressure is released...tack weld a tab on the TB bell crank to actuate the switch. Mount the switch on a bracket with it centered on the tab.

I'm not sure I understand the question...all you do is use high quality butt connectors and splice the Ford wires onto the Supra harness....splice 2 wires on Vcc to supply the Ford TPS and your switch with power. Make sure you use shrink tube to seal.

Chris:
Yes...that should work. It looks like he is switching ground (E2) vs switching 5 volt power (Vcc).

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Assuming I understand what was written (not always the case) a bit of clarification: IDL must be brought low when the throttle is closed ie; the line must be switched to ground. It's pulled up to battery voltage by the ECU when open.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
No Jet, you read correctly. Dug out the diagram and the ECU does supply voltage to IDL internally. You have to switch ground (E2) for it to provide a valid IDL signal...the diagram Chris posted is correct.

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
Whasian said:
I have a 65mm throttle body that I wanna use on my car. The only problem that I have is that the tps on the throttle body is a three wire plug from a mustang. I was wondering if anyone has been able to covert the factory 7m harness to fit that tps with the engine going into default mode becuase there is not signal to tell the ecu when the throttle is closed. Anyone have any ideas?

Whasian

You have to add a throttle switch like one from a nitrous kit and wire it to E2 and your IDL wire. The switch needs to be triggered when the throttle shuts.

Sean

Whasian

CEO of HAS
Jun 12, 2007
Houston
www.myspace.com
I like the idea of converting the throttle body to fit my supra tps..I am trying to contact the person who actually make these parts becuase I wanna see if he will make some for me. I am will to pay good money for them...Anyone know who this person might be?

Whasian

jimi87-t said:
Great info, Not to hijack, but to add to the info here, this is what I did to make the toyo TPS work with the same type TB. Pics say a 1000 words:

p840896_1.jpg

p840896_2.jpg

p840896_3.jpg

p840896_4.jpg

p840896_5.jpg

p840896_6.jpg

p840896_7.jpg

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
Whasian said:
I like the idea of converting the throttle body to fit my supra tps..I am trying to contact the person who actually make these parts becuase I wanna see if he will make some for me. I am will to pay good money for them...Anyone know who this person might be?

Whasian

glad that write up helped someone :)

that is jimi that did the mod to use the factory tps. you can try to email him, he hasnt been on the forums in over 2 months.

profile and email:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/member.php?u=2194

the reason i chose the ford tps was because the throttle body came with it brand new, they are smaller than factory, and can get a replacement new all day long for cheap.

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Hey, haven't been around too much lately, sorry guys. Bad news is I am not in the position right now to be making parts. My garage space is very limited now that I moved, not to mention it is winter (I'm in CO = very cold) and I'm not doing too much dinking around in the garage right now.

But the point of the write-up it to show people how to do it themselves, it is very easy, it just takes some thought. I wish I had a shop of some sort to work on these and other parts I've made, as I know some people just aren't good at this type of stuff, but I don't.

Wish I could be of more help, good luck. ;)

Jimi

Whasian

CEO of HAS
Jun 12, 2007
Houston
www.myspace.com
Yea, I got the part about cutting the center of the tps...Is there anyway you can load a picture with the piece you fabricated on here with it being proper size? I wanna try and make a template off the computer and trace a peice out on a sheet I have.

Whasian

* Does the TPS have both fins that you used or did you need two TPS's?