Mustang 5.0 Rack

Global688

Aug 14, 2008
Renton
I put a custom 5.0 mustang manual steering rack into my 87 supra. Drives straight with 0 play.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Kool. It would be nice to just give people a link to a write for this as there hasnt been much covered.

Global688

Aug 14, 2008
Renton
Flaming River 79-93 Quick Ratio Mustang Manual Rack

Note: Would recomend getting the 20:1 ratio vs the quick rack, unless you have big arms, or you're gonna get some big ol ape arms if you go the quick rack way.

http://www.flamingriver.com/index.c...ategory_id=68/home_id=63/mode=prod/prd337.htm

Borgeson 9/16-26 X 3/4 Smooth Bore U-Joint
http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/product.php?productid=8&cat=5&page=3

New inner tie rods and outers. Right now I'm using 2 drivers side inners. I ordered 2 passenger side ones since they are a little longer. Only have about 15mm screwed in on the drivers side so need to go longer there.

Step 1: Rip out the power rack and all associated power steering stuff.

Step 2: While waiting for your new steering rack to arrive take off your intermediate shaft off the steering column. Cut off the U-joint that connected to your supra power rack. Find a pipe thats 3/4" OD and slip it inside the u-joint. Tac weld everything together and drill your holes. I used grade 8 bolts nuts and lock washers. Now weld the u-joint and lower shaft together. I did a 2 pass weld and left that 2nd pass pretty sloppy.

Step 3: Now you got your manual rack. Remove the boots and buy a BIG ASS wrench. Take off the inner tie rods and put on the supra ones. Put the boots back on. Trim to fit with a sawzall. At the very minimum your gonna have to remove the mustang mounting holes.

Step 4: Install that bad boy. Your on your own here to align it up.

Step 5: Install your outer tie rods. I used the old outer tubes as extenders with a threaded shaft off one of the old innners. Last step here is centering the steering wheel and sliding that new u-joint on the pinion.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
Global688;1558923 said:
Flaming River 79-93 Quick Ratio Mustang Manual Rack

Note: Would recomend getting the 20:1 ratio vs the quick rack, unless you have big arms, or you're gonna get some big ol ape arms if you go the quick rack way.

http://www.flamingriver.com/index.c...ategory_id=68/home_id=63/mode=prod/prd337.htm

Borgeson 9/16-26 X 3/4 Smooth Bore U-Joint
http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/product.php?productid=8&cat=5&page=3

New inner tie rods and outers. Right now I'm using 2 drivers side inners. I ordered 2 passenger side ones since they are a little longer. Only have about 15mm screwed in on the drivers side so need to go longer there.

Step 1: Rip out the power rack and all associated power steering stuff.

Step 2: While waiting for your new steering rack to arrive take off your intermediate shaft off the steering column. Cut off the U-joint that connected to your supra power rack. Find a pipe thats 3/4" OD and slip it inside the u-joint. Tac weld everything together and drill your holes. I used grade 8 bolts nuts and lock washers. Now weld the u-joint and lower shaft together. I did a 2 pass weld and left that 2nd pass pretty sloppy.

Step 3: Now you got your manual rack. Remove the boots and buy a BIG ASS wrench. Take off the inner tie rods and put on the supra ones. Put the boots back on. Trim to fit with a sawzall. At the very minimum your gonna have to remove the mustang mounting holes.

Step 4: Install that bad boy. Your on your own here to align it up.

Step 5: Install your outer tie rods. I used the old outer tubes as extenders with a threaded shaft off one of the old innners. Last step here is centering the steering wheel and sliding that new u-joint on the pinion.

cut and welded steering shafts are illegal

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
I would like to see more photos and info on the tie rods. I dont see the Supra inner tie rods fitting to the Mustang rack without mods or a adapter, at least it didnt work for me. I used the Mustang outter tie rod ends from a early 90's Mustang.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Couldnt one just partly half shaft two steering shafts, then drill and tapp them and connect them with high strength nuts and bolts? Or is that illegal aswell?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
hvyman;1640856 said:
Maybe a custom U-joint?
That would be how I'd do it.

The whole cut/weld/drill/tap thing scares me shitless, in the Senna crash the parts were moddified by some of the most skill fabricators/weldors in the world and still failed....

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
lets put it this way i have 4x4 and i still wont cut a steering shaft

plus if you get a VI you wont pass

best bet is just find some thing that will work

all steering shafts form factories go under Figueroa's testing

i have not done the swap but i find a bolt on sultion

plus anotehr factor is there alot more stress on the shaft with maue streeing

good luck