MrOizo's JZA70 - 2JZGTE and V160!!

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
very cool build mate. i was under the impression that the v160 was a lot of fucking around to get right in the A70 trans tunnel, i'm obviously wrong! so it was just the remote shifter that needed modifying was it? this is something that I would definately consider for the future, my R154 is feeling a little tired and I had the V160 in my RZ, was oodles better than the R154 shift qaulity.

your radiator shroud looks good too, are they davies craig fans? i'm running a very similar set up and also made my own shroud - looks basically the same as yours. I have had a few people warning me that the flat shroud close to the radiator core will restrict it too much but so far so good with mine. what are those two horizontal brackets that you have riveted onto the shroud top and bottom for???

MrOizo

May 24, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
spiller;1606317 said:
very cool build mate. i was under the impression that the v160 was a lot of fucking around to get right in the A70 trans tunnel, i'm obviously wrong! so it was just the remote shifter that needed modifying was it? this is something that I would definately consider for the future, my R154 is feeling a little tired and I had the V160 in my RZ, was oodles better than the R154 shift qaulity.

your radiator shroud looks good too, are they davies craig fans? i'm running a very similar set up and also made my own shroud - looks basically the same as yours. I have had a few people warning me that the flat shroud close to the radiator core will restrict it too much but so far so good with mine. what are those two horizontal brackets that you have riveted onto the shroud top and bottom for???

Thanks for the comments :)

The main thing that needed modifying were really from the bell housing to the diff - shifter being shortened ~100mm and the prop shaft being made up.

On the shroud i used the angle pieces to provide some rigidity - most likely not needed due to the Aluminium sheet being 2mm thick but thought why not since it was there. Originally i was supposed to have the louveres like the Adrenalin Motorsport have on theirs that close up when the fans are on and open when cruising on the highway but couldnt be stuffed. Another reason was that if the fans stuffed out, i might have more room to add different shape/bigger ones.

I have had these running in the car (only yesterday) and the amount of suction is awesome! Heaps of flow! The fans are some from STA Parts here in NZ - importers for things like ARP, wiseco and bring the cheap knock off stuff too.

Its a bit hard to tell but I actually folded it the wrong way - i drew it all up on the protective side and when i started the folding, i realised what i had done! OOPS!

---------- Post added at 07:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 AM ----------

Oh, should have added that the tunnel needed a little 'Persuading' ;)

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
MrOizo;1606319 said:
On the shroud i used the angle pieces to provide some rigidity - most likely not needed due to the Aluminium sheet being 2mm thick but thought why not since it was there. Originally i was supposed to have the louveres like the Adrenalin Motorsport have on theirs that close up when the fans are on and open when cruising on the highway but couldnt be stuffed. Another reason was that if the fans stuffed out, i might have more room to add different shape/bigger ones.

I have had these running in the car (only yesterday) and the amount of suction is awesome! Heaps of flow! The fans are some from STA Parts here in NZ - importers for things like ARP, wiseco and bring the cheap knock off stuff too.

Its a bit hard to tell but I actually folded it the wrong way - i drew it all up on the protective side and when i started the folding, i realised what i had done! OOPS!

haha I did exactly the same thing with mine! i even made a note on the side that I wanted to be exposed but when I folded the ends I still got it wrong, hilarious. you can't see any of the scratches once it's in the engine bay anyway though.

how do adrenalin motorsports operate their louveres? interesting concept.

MrOizo

May 24, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
spiller;1606324 said:
haha I did exactly the same thing with mine! i even made a note on the side that I wanted to be exposed but when I folded the ends I still got it wrong, hilarious. you can't see any of the scratches once it's in the engine bay anyway though.

how do adrenalin motorsports operate their louveres? interesting concept.

for sure! :) thats why i didnt get too upset. If i was tooooo worried i was thinking about running over it with wire wheel to give it a 'brushed' look and maybe painting it.

here is a pic of their setup (see that the newer versions dont have the louveres):

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...n-amp-Shroud-Cooling-Kit&highlight=fan+shroud

"Note the rubberized vent flaps - not affixed in this picture, but will be secured in the final product. "
18dd5d627dac2e2c5111a3b90ae181e6MKIIId.JPG

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
thanks for that link, looks like we got it right with our shrouds. i doubt the flap makes a great deal of difference but interesting to say the least

MrOizo

May 24, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
spiller;1606578 said:
thanks for that link, looks like we got it right with our shrouds. i doubt the flap makes a great deal of difference but interesting to say the least

Yeah - no need for the flaps.

OneJArpus;1606623 said:
Looks good, GL with the upgrade

Cool - thanks :)

---------- Post added at 08:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 AM ----------

Came across some pics of the air convent that i made up.

The objective of this was to have more room under the dash for the 2JZ ECU which i just couldnt get in there without cutting the glove-box up.

I copied the flanges of the stock air box and then got some ducting to put in between... Im sure NASA would be proud - right? :)

p1606854_1.jpg

p1606854_2.jpg

p1606854_3.jpg

p1606854_4.jpg

MrOizo

May 24, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Haha cheers.

V160 wasnt too hard to fit. As noted from http://turbosupras.com/pages/pages/technical/a70 engine conversion.htm:
Firstly, the left hand side gearbox tunnel mount point needs to be hit with an engineering stick (hammer) mid way up, this is due to the R154 being larger on 1 side, thus the tunnel is not centred down the middle of the car.

The second spot is on the right hand side, around 36mm (1.5") in front of shifter hole, a firm hit with the engineer's stick will be plenty.

Not too hard but took a bit of putting the engine in and out. Only modification to the tunnel apart from making those two sections slightly bigger was moving the shifter hole about a inch to the rear of the tunnel - nothing major at all!

whitemike;1624878 said:
This thread is the tits. Subscribed.

---------- Post added at 01:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 AM ----------

Oh, did you have to modify the trans tunnel or anything else on the car to make the v160 fit?

MrOizo

May 24, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
This was originally a JZA70 auto so had the 3.7 torsen LSD.

I should add the dyno video. Will do once I have better signal on my phone.

While I replying I should thank Ronnie (RK Bush guy) for supplying and helping me remove the old bushes from the upper aluminium A arms.

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
How does it feel behind the getrag? I've got a 3.7 behind my r154 with a 1J but it makes the car a bit sluggish off the mark and out of corners. You prob dont have that issue with the 3L

87mk111

Metal Head
Sep 29, 2009
akron/canton, ohio
Nice build thred, and nice info on the v160 mod to fit our cars, I'm now considering this swap, the v160 was holding me back (that and the cost of it lol), so I'm gonn astart researching this swap and the cost of it a little more.

MrOizo

May 24, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
I haven't really noticed a problem with the 3.7 - mainly because I haven't really got anything to compare it to.

If I had to fault something, it would be first hear being too short. It's not major but not as bad as most have said it would be:
"it will be a stump puller man"
Mainly from some one who read it from some one who heard it from somewhere who thought it wouldn't work. :)

spiller;1625130 said:
How does it feel behind the getrag? I've got a 3.7 behind my r154 with a 1J but it makes the car a bit sluggish off the mark and out of corners. You prob dont have that issue with the 3L

MrOizo

May 24, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Cheers :)

---------- Post added at 06:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 AM ----------

I have had a bit of reworking going on for the fuel pump and have got a kit to sense any voltage on the FPC wire to switch a relay. This is to do away with the FP ECU and only having one speed on the Bosch 044

I have been trying to test it but i am getting no voltage from this wire. Everywhere i have read says this should put out a 3-5v signal.

When the key is turned to ON (or Start), i should have 5v and then 0v after a few seconds if the engine hasnt started yet. I have 0v all the time.

Is there something that i might have forgotten to plug in to not have any voltage on this wire? Hmmmmm

--------------------------

I should have added that i have no FP ECU which is the whole reason for coming up for a solution for no FP ECU.

I have a simple Jaycar kit which detects a pulsed frequency and turns a relay on.

I had a play today and have taken these photos:

IGN OFF, connected to Earth and FPC from ECU
p1632984_1.jpg

IGN ON, connected to Earth and FPC from ECU
p1632984_2.jpg

IGN OFF, connected to 12vand FPC from ECU
p1632984_3.jpg

IGN ON, connected to 12vand FPC from ECU
p1632984_4.jpg

Any suggestions as to whats going on here? I am starting to think its the ECU...

MrOizo

May 24, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
WOW - after getting a bit of motivation from looking at a few friends cars i have managed to get the intake side along with some 750cc injectors and dual entry rail from Fuel Injector Clinic installed.

I am feeling pretty pleased with what i got done today. Pics are in reverse order :eek:

p1687716_1.jpg

p1687716_2.jpg

p1687716_3.jpg

p1687716_4.jpg

p1687716_5.jpg

p1687716_6.jpg

p1687716_7.jpg

Other things i have done since last posting is installed resistors to increase inpedence to suit the JDM ECU. The plan is to get this running with the t04z for now and once im happy with it, go stand along ECU. It will most likely be the Link G4 Extreme here in NZ or to you US based peoples, the Vipec V88.