mr2 turbo vs mk3 turbo

blacksupra

Apr 9, 2005
Buena Park,CA
I got moked by a 93 mr2 turbo 5 speed with DP, exhaust, no cats, K&N, bov , boost controls. According to this guy he was running stock boost but I don't think so. He was laughing at my mk3 cuz he said it's damn slow so I got so pissed off and I asked him to race again but this time in my camaro. The guy agree until we lined up and he got scared. I told him it's not fair racing a stock mk3 turbo vs moded mr2. I can't wait to get my exhaust.
Which one is faster in stock condition?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
The MR2 is faster stock. It takes to minor modding just as well as the Supra as well.

For some specs...

'92 Supra Turbo - 3535lbs, 232hp, 254 torque. That's 15.2 lbs / hp and 13.9 lbs / torque.
'92 MR2 Turbo - 2908lbs, 200hp, 142 torque. That's 14.5 lbs / hp and 20.5 lbs / torque.

So, on stock specs, the MR2 would be at a disadvantage until the RPMs spin up in first gear... except that the turbos on those spool faster than the Supra, so he's pretty much faster right across the board.

Even if he is still running 'stock' boost, as in PSI, he's still pushing a LOT more air thorugh that thing with the mods listed than a real stock vehicle.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
Stock for stock they are about equally fast. The MR2 has a slightly better power to weight ratio, but most healthy MR2's dyno at only 160-165rwhp, so they are slightly overated. The obvious advantage of the MR2 is its light weight and traction advantage because of its engine placement. But as far as making power, the supra is going to do that much easier thanks to its engine size advantage.

I was talking to a nice Mr2 owner at the track. He had lots of mods including an aftermarket intercooler and a upgraded CT-26 running 17psi. He was running consistant 13.3' at 106mph. He was completely blown away when he saw me make a 12.5 pass at 116mph. He said " I thought those things are really heavy". I said they are, but they make a hell of alot of power and torque.

superiorsupra

Apr 1, 2005
ceres
a basically stock supra cannot bet a stock mr2 turbo in the quarter mile. I own two 89 supra turbo and a 91 mr2 turbo, and the mr2 definitely has the weight advantage, and better traction because of the mid engine design. But what the supra has that the mr2 lacks is top end power and the ability to gain more hp with mods because of the bigger displacement and two extra cylinders. Get your exhaust system done and tell him to race you from a roll and he'll see how much top end a supra has. :x: