Mr two fingers fixin a dent thread

F_T_F

C2H5OH
Nov 12, 2006
fort fun, colorado
so a couple days ago i managed to spin my tires and slam into a guard rail. teaches me to let my ego get in the way, anywho the dent is on the passenger side rear quarter panel. i bound and determine to fix it no matter what the cost. i've had experience with body work before, painting, filling dents, pounding dents out and sanding endless sanding, but I’ve never worked on something that looks this ugly.
i have 1 main area that I’m not sure what to do which i circled in the picture below. it seems more or less to be folded in on it self. any suggestion on what to do here besides lots of pounding.
and when i comes to pulling the dent out what are some tricks, or is it just going to be time consuming tedious.

my main concern here is that ill have to weld in a section to the quarter panel which i would really, really like to avoid at all costs. in fact its just not an option at all. input and the occasional smart ass comment would be greatly appreciated.

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
Looks like youve got quite the work cut out for you! Most insurance company's would total that in a second!

If it were me i would look for a good condition shell and start over. I hate body work!

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
sm_photo_missing.jpg

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
F_T_F said:
teaches me to let my ego get in the way
You really are a worthwhile person! (welp, theres the smart ass out of the way)

I would check to see if everything is still straight, if it is, then I don' know if there is a good way to fix that (especially the fold) without cutting it out and welding.

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
Get a new car. Swapping shells would be cheaper than getting it fixed. Not to mention you'd have to redo your gay flame job, tribal, or whatever is going on there. Start fresh, teach yourself a lesson, and get rid of a bad car all at the same time!

F_T_F

C2H5OH
Nov 12, 2006
fort fun, colorado
yea that is a prime example that things on paper look a lot better then when there on your car. but i did it all me not some body shop and that is a hell of a lot more valuable to me then anything else. live and learn. as for getting a new shell no dice im a little bull headed and once i make up my mind there isn't much that will change my mind, that plus being in school i really cant work and get the money together to pay for it. besides it will sure be one hell of a learning expierence in a twisted sort of way. i enjoy a good challenge.

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
gonna have to replace the quarter, or at least cut that quarter out and try and straighten it then put it back on...

not an easy process (and why I hate quarter panel damage), but it can be done...

Jason T

JZS161 Aristo TT
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland New Zealand..Aotearoa
Mk3Jesse said:
Nice, thats the way you do it.
but you make it look like you did it like you were playing it lego's its much harder than it looks lol.

Yep this is a job best left to the professionals not something that can be done at home unless you have ALL the correct gear + experience as a 1/4 cut done bad will screw any car

My 1/4 replacement was done by a pro repair shop this is a major job for even the pros insurance paid $2950 NZ$

Its back at the panel shop now sorting out ripples around the window join :3d_frown:

F_T_F Best option is shop around and get some quotes form local panel repair shops

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Jason T said:
Its back at the panel shop now sorting out ripples around the window join :3d_frown:

That's why I say a new quarter panel is the way to go, only spot welds mean least amount of deformation of the metal and least amount of bodywork.