MPG in a 1JZ MKIII

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
HellsLegion said:
Joe? Shifting below 2500?

I have 166 miles on the odo and almost empty.

And I drive like a grandma.. Albeit a TON of city driving

Sometimes I'm really not even in the mood to drive my car. More specifically, when I go to work.:)

edit: 166 and almost empty... I never got that mileage that bad

Last edited:

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
The Reaper said:
What are you guys getting???

this thing SUCKS. its like a damn 8 liter V10 or something

i've gone 75 miles or so and im almost at a half a tank!!!!!!!!! WTF!?!?!?!

i beat the snot out of my 7M and got like an average of 23MPG this 1J is like 12 MPG. if this is how its gonna be im dumping the 1J this is friggin rediculous!

Judging by your engine performance, low idle, and bad gas milage, I don't think your engine has run right from day one. You would be a lot less underwhelmed if it was running right.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
well it idling perfectly fine now not stalling any more or anything

but it breaks up a little under boost, and the gas mileage is shitty

HellsLegion:: 166 miles to a tank. City or not i'd sell that car. a Viper gets better gas mileage than that and it has a LOT more power and displacement.

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
My gas gauge said empty. But the pump put in only 11 gallons. I gotta readjust the sender unit.

Reaper, Ive thought about it, And buying my Lexus, But It isnt worth it. I enjoy the car so much.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Put some shrink wrap around the stems of the coils, from the middle of the rubber boot up to the underside of the coil. You need six 2.5" pieces of 1" shrink wrap. That will probably stop the misfire under boost. The coil stems get cracks near the top of the boots and it arcs to the cylinder head under boost.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
interesting cause when i put in new plugs it didn't do it at all for like 2 weeks and now its doing it.

HellsLegion:: you do know that when it says E you actually have 4 gallons of gas left right? in my old 7M i drove 67 miles at 90+ mph on E and i only put in 16.4 gallons so i still had 1.5 gallons left.

JCP

The Big Unit
Apr 6, 2006
Raleigh, NC
My 1j gets approx 21-23 mpg on mixed driving and beating it several times daily... Dont know whats wrong with yours.. but something is definitely not right. I dont know if mine has steel turbines.. which it may very well have.. she was a drift car out of japan with stitch welds everywhere and several things done to reduce weight.. IIIIIIIII dunno, but I run vacuum 10-15psi on 15% or so of throttle. Meh.. I dunno.
GL

Last edited:

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
i changed my O2 sensor before i put the engine in and i find to a tank even with pushing it a fair bit i am getting good millage

I'm Canadian so it's in km but

with the 7M i would get 400km to a tank if i was nice to it and 350 or less for killing it
With the 1J it seems as if i am getting about 400km to a tank and i have been boosting a fair bit.

Ninja Edit: I only use 94 Oct in my car BTW it may make a difference.