MP T70 vs. MP GT42

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
Ok guys, now that i have most of my motor situation under control, im ready to choose which turbo ill be using after the motor is broken in. Im going to be using Masterpower either way, and before, i was leaning towards the T70, and now im having a hard time choosing that over their GT42. the car is going to be on the street a lot, and maybe some highway driving. the motor is Cp's, Eagles, titan 1.4 Hg, slight hand porting, FFIM w/ Q45, 2.5 IC pipes. Fuel side of town is an AEM, 750s, Aero. Reg., & a walbro.

If i go with the T70 ill be using their .96 exhaust housing, and if i go with the 42 ill probaly go with the 1.05 exhaust housing. My question is, will the 42 be too much for my goal of 650-700HP? I think the 42 would be nice if i wanted to try for more power, i could try out their 1.22 housing.

Thanks guys

a_sesshoumaru

Suprita
Jan 7, 2007
El Salvador
There is a member in this forum that dynoed 700rwhp with a garrett GT42 at 32psi, the GT42 would put there if it has the same specs as the garrett one.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Yes, Sean (xman) made 750(ish)RWHP on his Garrett GT42.
Keep in mind, he was on a completely stock 7M (even stock cams, IIRC).

To be honest, I wasn't aware MasterPower made a "GT42".
I know they have a "GT45" model...but that's a whole nother ball game.
(With no relation to a Garrett GT45).

With that said, A MPT70 is capable of making up to and over 700HP,
But the life expectancy will be fairly short when you start exceeding it's power rating.

Jeff

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
The GT42 is a monster compared to the T70. If your mostly driving on roads in town then the GT42 would almost be pointless. I think you would be much happier with a car that has a good amount of power but is still streetable rather than a car that has so much power you cant do anything with it. I'd say go with the T70 and shoot for 600-650 and have a very very fast street car. But if you really want to reach 700 you'll want to go with the GT42 over the T70. The T70 can make that power but like jeff said, it wont last as long as you would want it to.

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
thanks to both of you, and that was exactly what i was concerned with. but will the 42 really be that "unstreetable"? I obviously wont be running it at high boost all the time, just whenever the extra power is needed, same for the T70, will that turbo really die out quickly just from some high boost situations.

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
The GT42 with the 1.05 exhaust housing is a much larger turbo. On a 7m it will be a really laggy turbo. Matt has a 2j with a GT40 with like a .84 or .86 exhaust housing and his car is not streetable in town. Only time its fun is when hes on the interstate. other than that if he gets on it in town he just spins everywhere. So basicaly if you do any in town racing with the GT42 your going to end up losing to hondas and other lower HP cars because they have instant power and will hook.. and you wont. I think you would be VERY happy with the T70 set up though. Im actualy considering going with the T70 on my 7m right now as well. Before matt had a T70 with the .68 housing, his lasted a while and he was making close to 700hp on 27psi. His turbo eventualy went out because he was pushing its limits, then agian he only had the .68 housing. if you got the .96 housing it would have a high power rating and probably last longer. I'd say get the T70 with the .96 housing, even thats a pretty large turbo but will be more streetable than the GT42 IMHO.

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
suprafanatic;1289260 said:
I'd say get the T70 with the .96 housing, even thats a pretty large turbo but will be more streetable than the GT42 IMHO.

Dang, thanks for the long reply :). See what your suggesting is what i was going to do in the first place, i just started having concerns of the flexability that that turbo would have as far as the amount of peak power it'll make, and how hard i would have to push it. Anyway, i think i may go with the T70, its seems to be the more streetable option, and im going to have it on the street as much as i can...

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
I was thinking, if i did run out of pump, that i could sump the tank, keep the one Walbro in the stock location, and T-ing in an external universal inline walbro 255, same price and a sump is much cheaper than a dual hanger, and if i run out of pump like that, then i could just go sump only and an aeromotive. What do you guys think?

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
Boost Lee;1292066 said:
Well, I know one thing.
Walbro in-tank + feeding Bosch 044 external = Good for 700HP. ;)

Sounds pretty good. where do you have the external mounted?(pics?:biglaugh:)

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
So how soon you guys think i could get the 42 to spool with the 1.05 exhaust housing? Max pressure is possibly going to be 30psi.

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
ModularTurbo;1299374 said:
You can't spool that turbo with a 7m or a 2j.

I have a customer with one on a 2JZ w/ a glide and spray. It only spools on the gas LOL. He is returning it for a T76 :icon_bigg

So a Regular GT4202 would be better cause i seen a few 2jz here in chicago spoolig those turbos without spray...