Mouse problem in Vista Ulitmate 64

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
I know this is kind of random, but I'm hoping there are some guru's out there that can help.

I just installed Vista Ultimate 64 on my "new" compy. It's a dual processor machine running 2 AMD opteron 64 bit processors, 2GHz each. Everything is working correctly with the sole exception of my mouse. It's a Microsoft Trackball Optical USB.

4_mstrackballoptical_1.jpg

When I boot up the comp, the mouse doesn't work until I unplug it from the box then plug it back in. Then it works fine.

Anyone have any ideas why this is happening and how I can fix it? It's really pissing me off.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Went to the page:
http://www.microsoft.com/products/i...5eb-b7ce-af9ef9724d3d&type=ovr#ProductDetails

Operating System Windows XP Home Edition, Windows XP Professional, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows NT Workstation 4.0 with SP6 or later, Windows 2000 Professional, or Windows 2000 Server

Nothing in there for Vista or 64 bit OS. It should be an automatically included driver in the OS, but that mouse/trackball seems a bit outdated.
Still, maybe you can try the latest Intellimouse drivers, even if they are not meant specifically for that device?

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I suspect a bios upgrade could be in order for you. Often fixes this sorta thing when moving to a new os. Also check your current bios usb settings and make sure you have legacy support enabled.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
drunk_medic;1468942 said:
Went to the page:
http://www.microsoft.com/products/i...5eb-b7ce-af9ef9724d3d&type=ovr#ProductDetails

Operating System Windows XP Home Edition, Windows XP Professional, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows NT Workstation 4.0 with SP6 or later, Windows 2000 Professional, or Windows 2000 Server

Nothing in there for Vista or 64 bit OS. It should be an automatically included driver in the OS, but that mouse/trackball seems a bit outdated.
Still, maybe you can try the latest Intellimouse drivers, even if they are not meant specifically for that device?

The mouse is pretty old, but I love the style. Nobody makes anything like it anymore, so I just keep using it. I did download the newest MS Intellipoint drivers, which support this specific mouse and are for Vista 64, but I haven't noticed a difference.

Flateric;1469090 said:
I suspect a bios upgrade could be in order for you. Often fixes this sorta thing when moving to a new os. Also check your current bios usb settings and make sure you have legacy support enabled.

This may be beyond my abilities. I've never done a bios upgrade, so I really wouldn't know where to start. I'll try looking for the "legacy support" thing and will let you know what I find.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
After you installed the Intellipoint Drivers, did you go to "Mouse" in the Control Panel and select the appropriate device?

I am using Intellipoint for my device, and saw your specific model in the list:
trackball.jpg

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
What type of computer do you have? When you turn it on at first before anything loads you will see a screen that says award or hp or whatever. The important part is it will say press f2, or del or f10 or something along those lines.

If you hit that key it will take you into the bios. Don't change anything except, usb legacy support or some similar sounding option. I'm betting this fixes your issues, no upgrade even required.

Be careful in there and as I said only mess with usb related settings, nothing else or your machine may be unable to boot.