Mounting BOV in IC pipe behind fender liner?

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
So I need to mount my Tial BOV on my intercooler piping:

icpiping_6.JPG

icpiping_5.JPG

I'm leaving room for an IAT sensor and a meth nozzle in the engine bay before the throttle body, and I don't think I'll be able to fit my BOV there like I had hoped. I'd like to mount it as close to the throttle body as possible, so the next best place seems like the IC pipe underneath where the battery tray was (see pic #2). I have plenty of room to face it out toward the bumper.

However, I'm worried about exposing it to the elements like that. It is slightly shielded by the wheel well liner and metal piece in the front though. In a proper setup, the BOV should only let air out, correct? Has anyone mounted theirs outside the engine bay? Any other suggestions where I can put it?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I've seen lots of BOV's mounted out front near the IC, exposed to the elements.
I think if you mount yours behind the fender liner, it'll be better still.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
As you mentioned, as close to the TB will be the ideal placements.

Personally, you still have room. IAT on the fender side and BOV and meth nozzle on the engine side inbetween the BOV and the TB. Now I would be cautious with the BOV venting the meth mist as anything that can light up gasoline WILL light the meth mixture right up so take that into consideration.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Here's mine behind the foglight..

attachment.php

works fine, I'm thinking of boring out an NA resonator and placing it inside of there, or something similar, but for now its hidden pretty well..

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
figgie;1611597 said:
As you mentioned, as close to the TB will be the ideal placements.

Personally, you still have room. IAT on the fender side and BOV and meth nozzle on the engine side inbetween the BOV and the TB. Now I would be cautious with the BOV venting the meth mist as anything that can light up gasoline WILL light the meth mixture right up so take that into consideration.

I'll try fitting it again, but I have a PWR radiator going in too (the radiator isn't installed in the pics) and I'm concerned about space on the engine side. I guess part of the reason I wanted to put the BOV before the meth nozzle was so it wouldn't vent the meth mist like you mentioned.

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
OK, so I just took a look at it again. This was how I originally planned on setting it up until I wanted to plan for a meth setup in the future. See the following diagram:

bov_placement..jpg

That location is about the only place I can put the BOV without it hitting the hood, unless I place it under the IC pipe which would make it hard to get to. Will this setup work? It will obviously vent some meth to atmosphere when the BOV opens, but I don't see that as being a major issue.

SALTiNE

Aug 14, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Now, if you place it under. Yes it's alil more difficult to get to, but honestly how often are you gonna need to get to it? I ran mine exposed to the elemenst on my 240sx for 2 years and had no problem at all.