Motul 8100 0W-40

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Anyone had any experiences with this oil. Im getting 6 liters of this for free from a friend.
jdub?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
IIRC - this oil is ester based, and hence is very expensive. The 0W-40 has about the same viscosity (hot & cold) that Pennzoil Ultra has - a bit thicker than GC. It would work well in your engine and will def do a number cleaning it out. For free, I'd use it - personally I would not purchase for the same reason I don't buy Red Line (another ester based oil) - too expensive for the increase in performance.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
So my buddy told me about the wrong oil. I ended up get 6L of 8100 X-cess 5W-40. I believe this is a PAO oil im not 100% sure. However since my birthday is coming up soon he's sending me 6qts of Redline 0W40 as a gift. Anyways I filled up with the Motul and plan to run it for 5000 miles since I don't know much about it. However I know oil colour means very little but normally when I use German Castrol it would darken to the normal amber colour after a few hundred miles. Im 300miles into this Motul so far and the oil colour hasn't changed. It was my understanding that the oil darkening means the oil is doing its job. Should I be concerned there's no change?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Actually all Motul 8100 series oils are ester based (like Red Line) - you can run that oil 8-10K easy. Ester reacts differently to heat than PAO - you have no need to worry about the color. It will darken over time.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
jdub;1578076 said:
Actually all Motul 8100 series oils are ester based (like Red Line) - you can run that oil 8-10K easy. Ester reacts differently to heat than PAO - you have no need to worry about the color. It will darken over time.

Really? I was reading up on BITOG and thought i had read something that said something along the lines of that only the 0W-40, and 0W-30 8100's were ester based the others being PAO. But if this is ester based then sweet ill see how well it cleans up. When i had the head rebuilt the machinist didnt clean my camshafts. So im curious to see if itll will clean those up. Though ive been running GC after the first 4,000 miles were done on the head.

Pic of the head before it went on
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/Cobra281s/DSCF0081.jpg

Inside the oil filler cap, im going to have to pull off the valve covers to replace the gaskets soon so ill see how clean the rest of it is.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/Cobra281s/DSC01975.jpg

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
That's what I understand, unless Motul changed base stocks on me (entirely possible). Even if it is a PAO, you can still run it 8K easy (GC is PAO)...Motul is an excellent oil, especially for free ;)

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
jdub;1578324 said:
That's what I understand, unless Motul changed base stocks on me (entirely possible). Even if it is a PAO, you can still run it 8K easy (GC is PAO)...Motul is an excellent oil, especially for free ;)

Hey jdub its my understanding that PAO dont really have any type of cleaning additives in the oil like Ester based oils do. However im 2000 miles in this oil so far, (still hasnt changed colour) and i popped off the valve cover to check my valve lash before i replace the gaskets and shims. I was surprised to see that the brownish coating (since my machinist never cleaned the cams) on my cam lobes was slowly disappearing some of the lobes ended up looking brand new. I guess i can only assume that Motul has a fair amount of Ester in it then if it truly is a PAO base stock?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Both ester and PAO do a great job of cleaning deposits - ester is a bit better, but the difference is insignificant. Ester is used in many PAO base oils - would not surprise me a bit if Motul is one of them. They do make extensive use of esters in their oils.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Hey jdub im sending a analysis out for the Motul. The CST for it was 14.1 I believe. If the analysis comes back good is ok to continue running a 40w along side with German Castrol? I've got some Motul left for one more change, a case of Redline and Eneos both 40w? I know 14cst is a tad thick but will it still be ok to use?